New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | City, Street & Architecture | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2013 · European Christmas river cruising

EverLearning
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · European Christmas river cruising

We are planning to do a European Christmas market river cruise in December, 2014. We have narrowed it down to four possibilities, but it is so hard to tell from web sites or brochures what to look for. We would be going with another couple; both he and I are into photography but that is a secondary reason for this trip (very strong secondary though!). River cruises we are considering are:

Tauck: river cruise, Basel to Cologne (inc. Breisach/Colmar/Riquewihr, Strasbourg, Baden-Baden, Heidelberg, Rudesheim, Koblenz and Aachen). 8 day. Basel pre-cruise extension option.

Uniworld: Nuremberg to Frankfurt (inc. Nuremberg, Bamberg, Rothenburg/Wurzburg and Wertheim). 8 days. Prague pre-cruise extension option.

Avalon: Prague to Basel (inc. Nuremberg, Bamberg, Wurzburg, Miltenberg/Wertheim, Frankfurt, Heidelberg, Strasbourg, Breisach). 12 days. Prague pre-cruise and Basel post-cruise options.

AMA: Zurich to Amsterdam (inc. Lucerne, Breisach, Strasbourg, Speyer/Heidelberg, Rudesheim, Koblenz and Cologne). 12 days. Zurich pre-cruise.

Any experience with these itineraries or even these cities at Christmas? What do you consider to be THE key to-do markets?

Thanks!

Jan 27, 2013 at 03:49 PM
carrg1954
• • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · European Christmas river cruising

Hi there
You might be better searching an alternate website, eg
http://www.cruisecritic.com/memberreviews/ may enlighten you to some reviews.

It also depends on your expectations, and $$, Tauck in my look at the cruises was the most $$. You might also look at Viking cruises, it also caters for the US,CAN,UK,AUS,NZ demographic. Also use Utube as there are a few postings.

I've never seen a posting on a cruise here though...

send a PM if you want, we are going May this year Vienna to Amstrdam 13days with Avalon

regards

Jan 27, 2013 at 07:31 PM
EverLearning
• • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · European Christmas river cruising

Carrg1954, thanks for the response. We were actually looking there. It is somewhat helpful, and in part helped us narrow our choices to these four. It gets challenging when it comes down to the final decisions in that some of the companies are all-inclusive and some aren't, and they are all very good at wording the descriptions of their excursions such that it is hard to know just how much you actually see/do (or even if it is only a 'drive by').

I have found FM to be a fantastic place to get input into making these kind of trip decisions, key places to go/see, etc. So I thought, what the heck, I would ask about this, even though a search of FM revealed no previous threads.

So if anybody out there has done a European river cruise, or even has thoughts on which cities listed above are 'must see' for winter/Christmas timeframe, I would appreciate your input.

Thanks

Jan 28, 2013 at 09:21 AM
dcmack

p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · European Christmas river cruising

We did a river cruise in spring 2011 with Uniworld (25 anniversary, first trip outside of North America). We loved it! Food was wonderful, a nice easy pace, time for photography.
Can't comment on the other cruise lines, we were very happy with Uniworld.

We'd do it again, in a heartbeat (when we can afford it).

Jan 29, 2013 at 10:38 PM

FM Forums | City, Street & Architecture | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.