Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       3       end

Archive 2013 · 7D2 coming but not just yet and possibly not just a spec up but evolving???

skibum5
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · 7D2 coming but not just yet and possibly not just a spec up but evolving???

"Last year was the Year of top reinforcement in each product category, the Prestige model. I believe that the technologies developed in the Prestige model per each genre, increasing the sophistication of the feature, this year, we will try to fall into the lower models.
(The successor to the EOS 7D that does not appear immediately) is per premonition. Although the development of the successor of course, it is "the product innovations put some kind." Instead of that issue as a successor to the product that you spec up a little, it will be what has evolved towards a new area. However, it is not the story of the day so far."

A bit hard to make sense of, but CR3+ legit since it came straight out of the mouth of someone at Canon Japan, whatever it exactly it means (which is somewhat obscured by a poor translation).

Sounds like 7D2 for end of the year, perhaps with top 5D3-like AF and something either sending it in a new direction or something majorly improved (new process sensor APS-H not just a little spec up but evolved to a whole new area = ). Perhaps a 70D sooner?? (wouldn't that put the 7D largely out of business though? so maybe not yet either?).

Edited on Jan 27, 2013 at 01:36 PM · View previous versions

Jan 26, 2013 at 07:12 PM
EB-1
• • • • • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · 7D2 coming but not just yet and possibly not just a spec up but evolving???

What are you quoting? There is no link.

EBH

Jan 26, 2013 at 07:26 PM
skibum5
• • • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · 7D2 coming but not just yet and possibly not just a spec up but evolving???

EB-1 wrote:
What are you quoting? There is no link.

EBH

never mind my original link I found a link that has a human translation which is easier to follow than output from a machine translator:
http://www.canonwatch.com/category/rumors/

"DKW: As for the readers of DigiKame Watch, there are many who are waiting for the EOS 7D’s sucessor. Up through the release of last year’s major firmware update, there were many who felt that a new model with even better specs would be released shortly…

MM: Yes, they would be correct. For us, it’s about looking at what the camera has the potential to be and then adding that to what it can currently do. I do think the current model is still very attractive to buyers. And while we are, of course, developing its successor, it’ll be one that incorporates a certain number of innovative technologies. We will not be putting out a product with merely better specs, but one that has evolved into new territory. But then again, we’re not talking about something a long time from now either."

the link above also has more

Jan 26, 2013 at 07:39 PM
ggreene
• • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · 7D2 coming but not just yet and possibly not just a spec up but evolving???

Looks encouraging. Of course, that depends on Canon's definition of "long time". Their release schedule of late has not been stellar.

Jan 27, 2013 at 07:49 AM
fraga
• • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · 7D2 coming but not just yet and possibly not just a spec up but evolving???

Good news, I would say.
Let's hope it's not just propaganda.
I'm saving for a 5DMIII, but this might change my purchase, depending on the specs and, of course, actual performance.

Jan 27, 2013 at 08:10 AM
skibum5
• • • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · 7D2 coming but not just yet and possibly not just a spec up but evolving???

ggreene wrote:
Looks encouraging. Of course, that depends on Canon's definition of "long time". Their release schedule of late has not been stellar.

I see that CR has put it at CR2 for latter half of 2013 this morning (assuming they consider 7D2 mid-tier and not upper tier).

Of course it is true that announcement and release have often meant different epochs lately .
But if it means it gets a new process sensor I'd say it would be worth it (assuming the new process actually does significantly better than the old process at low ISO).

Jan 27, 2013 at 01:36 PM
skibum5
• • • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · 7D2 coming but not just yet and possibly not just a spec up but evolving???

Maybe 7D2 is 32MP, APS-H, 8fps, 5D3 AF, high-quality HD video, Exmor-like low ISO DR new process sensor that also has high ISO DR at least as good as 1DX.
Well one can sail off into fantasy land. It is a nice place. ;D
I'd be pretty tempted to sell off my 5D3 for that. Only real catch would be that APS-H is a bit of an awkward focal length fit to standard zooms like 24-70 II though. But then again on fantasy island, a secret button pops out that swaps the 24-70 II into an 18-70 II when attached to the 7D2.

10fps,24MP,APS-C,5D3AF, new process sensor is perhaps more likely (although the way things are going, you wonder if the new process sensor will ever arrive or deliver at low ISO once it does)

Jan 27, 2013 at 01:49 PM
ggreene
• • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · 7D2 coming but not just yet and possibly not just a spec up but evolving???

skibum5 wrote:
10fps,24MP,APS-C,5D3AF, new process sensor is perhaps more likely (although the way things are going, you wonder if the new process sensor will ever arrive or deliver at low ISO once it does)

I still think that Canon will reserve their own Exmor-like sensor for introduction with the new high MP FF body. Their biggest gap in the lineup is an answer to the D800. If the 7D2 comes after that then perhaps it will get it. Whatever sensor is released with the 7D2 I would hope it's optimized for high ISO as that will help it's primary role far more then low ISO DR.

Jan 27, 2013 at 02:12 PM
RedRinger

p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · 7D2 coming but not just yet and possibly not just a spec up but evolving???

skibum5 wrote:

IMHO Canon wouldn't change the AF of 7D. It's a new design and looks like a lite version of that of 1DX and 5D3. They may tweak it but dumping it for a new system looks unlikely given they haven't got enough mileage out of the R&D and production design etc. My argument could be even stronger if Canon maintained 7D2 as APS-C.

Again, it looks Canon has tried to keep 1DX capable of action work with its low MP and faster drive rate. It would be bad marketing to put its superior AF plus a high MP APS-H sensor in 7D2.

7D already opened up a new line of cameras and it wouldn't be logical to give it a new direction (new format or functionality niche) in mark II. :-)

Jan 27, 2013 at 02:33 PM
kewlcanon
• • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · 7D2 coming but not just yet and possibly not just a spec up but evolving???

Second half of 2013 according to CR reliable source whatever that means :

http://www.canonrumors.com/2013/01/canons-roadmap-for-2013-cr2/

Jan 27, 2013 at 02:45 PM
ggreene
• • • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · 7D2 coming but not just yet and possibly not just a spec up but evolving???

kewlcanon wrote:
Second half of 2013 according to CR reliable source whatever that means :

http://www.canonrumors.com/2013/01/canons-roadmap-for-2013-cr2/

A 7D2 along with a new 100-400. That would be a nice combo. Start saving now as that duo could well be $6000-$7000 if Canon follows there recent price models.

Jan 27, 2013 at 03:05 PM
RobDickinson
• • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · 7D2 coming but not just yet and possibly not just a spec up but evolving???

aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaahahahaha a new 100-400. Again. riiight.

Jan 27, 2013 at 03:10 PM
15Bit
• • • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · 7D2 coming but not just yet and possibly not just a spec up but evolving???

It's hard to see Canon changing the 7D into anything that would too severely impact 1Dx sales. So i don't expect to see all of the high ISO, high MP, pro autofocus options. A move to APS-H would be interesting, but would annoy current 7D owners with EF-S lenses.

It will be interesting to see what Canon does come up with for the 7DII.

Jan 28, 2013 at 05:11 AM
Paul Mo
• • • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · 7D2 coming but not just yet and possibly not just a spec up but evolving???

15Bit wrote:
It's hard to see Canon changing the 7D into anything that would too severely impact 1Dx sales. So i don't expect to see all of the high ISO, high MP, pro autofocus options. A move to APS-H would be interesting, but would annoy current 7D owners with EF-S lenses.

I agree, but the 7D will never br APS-H - it's a dead format. Now, APS-A at 2 x crop...

Jan 28, 2013 at 05:23 AM
LCPete
• • • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · 7D2 coming but not just yet and possibly not just a spec up but evolving???

Yep agree the 7D won't be aps h
that would be no use to people like me who need reach and my wide angle lenses are designed for crop

Jan 28, 2013 at 08:35 AM
ggreene
• • • • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · 7D2 coming but not just yet and possibly not just a spec up but evolving???

15Bit wrote:

I don't see the 7D2 competing with the 1DX for high ISO but I do think a body designed for action photography should at least have the latest AF processing. 5D3 minimum with fewer AF points.

Jan 28, 2013 at 09:00 AM
RobertCB
• •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · 7D2 coming but not just yet and possibly not just a spec up but evolving???

Now that the flagship pro camera is a full frame, and without a 1.3 crop in their lineup, Canon can now make, or should make, their 7D as close to a pro body as it can within the target price range. The distinctions and characteristics are so far apart between a full frame and a 1.6 crop that I do not believe 1D sales will be impacted by a quality 7D. Pros and high end amateurs will continue to buy the high priced 1D and new long glass because they need/want to get the shot at all costs, they are after the best that they can produce. The 7D may still find its way into their bag but not at the expense of the 1D.

If the 7D is close to a pro body and reasonably priced, they will fly off the shelves as far as the semi-pro and amateur markets are concerned. With the new long glass being so expensive what options do this target market have when sports and wildlife is concerned. They can buy older series glass but Canon does not want that to happen. I believe Canon will make a very nice spec'd 7DII and will update more of the f4 long glass to satisfy this market.

Jan 28, 2013 at 11:15 AM
ggreene
• • • • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · 7D2 coming but not just yet and possibly not just a spec up but evolving???

I agree. There is a large mid level, semi-pro market segment out there waiting on a 7D2. No risk of 1DX cannibalization as they were never going to spend $7K on it anyways.

Jan 28, 2013 at 11:30 AM
Ian.Dobinson
• • • • • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · 7D2 coming but not just yet and possibly not just a spec up but evolving???

ggreene wrote:
I agree. There is a large mid level, semi-pro market segment out there waiting on a 7D2. No risk of 1DX cannibalization as they were never going to spend $7K on it anyways.

yep thats the truth, but a 1Dx owner may be prepared to splash out £1500 (I do hope for less ) on a 7D2 that has many of the 1Dx features (like AF and a good FPS) if it offers them something the 1Dx cant (like reach in decent light)

Jan 28, 2013 at 11:54 AM
15Bit
• • • • •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · 7D2 coming but not just yet and possibly not just a spec up but evolving???

Ian.Dobinson wrote:
yep thats the truth, but a 1Dx owner may be prepared to splash out £1500 (I do hope for less ) on a 7D2 that has many of the 1Dx features (like AF and a good FPS) if it offers them something the 1Dx cant (like reach in decent light)

I think thats a pretty small market segment - people with both money and need for a 1Dx *and* a 7D. Of course to Canon marketing it's a balance against that and the similarly small segment of users who *would* buy a 1Dx but aren't going to because the 7D2 is good enough.

They already tread this line with the 5D3, but if the 7D2 is too good, it might not the case that the 7D2 takes 1Dx sales, but that the 5D3+7D2 combo takes 1Dx sales...

Edited on Jan 28, 2013 at 01:42 PM · View previous versions

Jan 28, 2013 at 12:10 PM
       2       3       end

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       3       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.