Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Photo Critique | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2013 · Photo of the year...

evillemperor

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · Photo of the year...

I have been using the website "Pixoto," which is where you compare two images to see which one is better. I have submitted quite a few, and my abstract one recieved an award 3rd place for best photo in abstract (it is now second place, but no award was given since the year was over), and it is currently first in the subcategory for fine art. I am quite proud of this, but I was wondering any advice so I "could've" made it better. I had the 7D on a tripod, 50mm 1.4, a 430exii slaved as well.

Coffee Works3 by Ayers Photo, on Flickr

Jan 26, 2013 at 11:18 PM
cgardner
• • • • •
p.1 #2 · Photo of the year...

It is a great stop action. But once my attention left the stopped action in the cup I follow the leading line of the source of the coffee up and notice the splash on top and the stream of java are arbitrarily chopped by the top of the frame. It would have worked better as a vertical with more space on the top so the eye entering at top would follow the coffee down into the cup vs. the opposite direction it was poured.

When I absorbed background I found it distracting because of the the horizontal stripes and confusing because it's not clear to me what the cup is sitting on and that seems to be suspended in mid-air. The pattern of splashes pattern on the left appear to occurring in mid-air.

I'm guessing after sorting out all the clues the thing the cup is sitting on (which I still can't identify) is sitting a mat in a sink that is mostly underwater, explaining the "floating in mid-air" splashes on the left. But do you really want me to be thinking about all that and trying to solve the visual riddle of the background or thinking about how neat capturing the splash was? I barely remember that due to all the other distractions.

A vertical crop showing and non-distracting background would deliver the message contained in the focal point (you're not very good at pouring coffee) more effectively for me

Jan 27, 2013 at 01:18 AM
evillemperor

p.1 #3 · Photo of the year...

Thank you for your response. I did this on my ping pong table, on a plastic container (which is on a giant one). I used (expired) Cherry Dr. Pepper. The pouring was done on purpose, didn't want to make a mess Andishoot in the vertical orientation so much, I wanted to try horizontal.and if you look directly below the mug, you see it isn't entirely floating, and liquid is on the container. I had done some high speed shots before

Water freeze by Ayers Photo, on Flickr
This was extremely difficult because I had a flash that could be a slave (a $30 Targus flash, but the T2i can't fire them either) so I had to hold the flash in me hand, remote shutter in the other, and drop the ice cube from my mouth... All at once.
Here's another from the same day:

Coffee Works2 by Ayers Photo, on Flickr
Besides the background, it addresses the points you made.
The last one:

WaterWorks by Ayers Photo, on Flickr
Not sure how, but somehow it came out Black and white.

Jan 27, 2013 at 05:08 AM
JCraigLynch

p.1 #4 · Photo of the year...

I would definitely agree with cgardner in that I would also love to see more of the "story" in the photo (the pouring in vertical). I don't know if you cropped. Mostly because you're photographing a photo of something splashing, I want to see the whole splash; where the cause of the splash came from, etc. Great photos!

Jan 27, 2013 at 05:41 AM
JHut
• • •
p.1 #5 · Photo of the year...

JCraigLynch wrote:
I would definitely agree with cgardner in that I would also love to see more of the "story" in the photo (the pouring in vertical). I don't know if you cropped. Mostly because you're photographing a photo of something splashing, I want to see the whole splash; where the cause of the splash came from, etc. Great photos!

+1. Too close and very busy. A capture earlier in the splash would be more effective with focusing the viewers eye on the sweet spot. Good lighting!

Pixoto has great pictures with cash prizes; Yet, I have to wonder about how the images are used on the site. They sell stock photos that I presume are from the posted images?

Jan 27, 2013 at 02:09 PM

FM Forums | Photo Critique | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password