Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

end

Archive 2013 · 5DIII cleaning my focusing screen

RCicala
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #1 · p.2 #1 · 5DIII cleaning my focusing screen

With the screws out you use the metal tab to lift out the dust shield. Underneath that is the retaining clip holding the focusing screen in place.

It's a better design. The 5DII focusing screens would unlatch and fall out every so often. This prevents that.

Jan 28, 2013 at 09:34 PM
goosemang
• • •
p.2 #2 · p.2 #2 · 5DIII cleaning my focusing screen

roger, thanks for this info. a question for you: since it's so easy to remove this focusing screen, can folks replace it with a screen designed for manual focusing? or would that create problems with metering/AF/lcd display, etc?

thanks

Jan 28, 2013 at 09:56 PM
RCicala
• • • •
p.2 #3 · p.2 #3 · 5DIII cleaning my focusing screen

goosemang wrote:
roger, thanks for this info. a question for you: since it's so easy to remove this focusing screen, can folks replace it with a screen designed for manual focusing? or would that create problems with metering/AF/lcd display, etc?

thanks

I don't think it would be any different than replacing with MF screens for the 5DII was - except you can't use 5D II screens, the tabs are different. I don't know of anyone making 5D III MF screens.

Jan 28, 2013 at 10:19 PM
Mescalamba
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #4 · p.2 #4 · 5DIII cleaning my focusing screen

http://www.focusingscreen.com/work/5d3en.htm

Yea they make them and theres how to change them, or clean them. Btw. avoid touching it, I recommand gloves (chirurgic are best I think). And its quite easy scratchable. Blower or brush works, just make sure your brush dont leave hair behind..

Jan 28, 2013 at 10:24 PM
SwampYankee

p.2 #5 · p.2 #5 · 5DIII cleaning my focusing screen

Got it, thanks. I'm at the "brushed it lightly doesn't want to come out phase". Once this is out of warranty it will cost $100 plus so I will follow your advice then. I presume the screen just comes down. This is a great tip. Thanks for taking the time to take the photo

Jan 28, 2013 at 11:29 PM
RileyJoseph
• •
p.2 #6 · p.2 #6 · 5DIII cleaning my focusing screen

I scratched my FS in the summer.. Canon Canada charged me $43 Canadian.

Jan 29, 2013 at 02:23 AM
Shutterbug2006
• • •
p.2 #7 · p.2 #7 · 5DIII cleaning my focusing screen

Well that's a nice big fat engineering design failure.

Does the dust affect focusing acquisition?

I scratched my FS in the summer.. Canon Canada charged me $43 Canadian.

An Arctic Butterfly would probably work best. Alternatively, removing and rinsing the screen might be an option.

Jan 29, 2013 at 05:14 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

goosemang
• • •
p.2 #8 · p.2 #8 · 5DIII cleaning my focusing screen

Mescalamba wrote:
http://www.focusingscreen.com/work/5d3en.htm

Yea they make them and theres how to change them, or clean them. Btw. avoid touching it, I recommand gloves (chirurgic are best I think). And its quite easy scratchable. Blower or brush works, just make sure your brush dont leave hair behind..

this is interesting, thanks.

anybody used one of these? wondering if it messes with metering or anything...

Jan 29, 2013 at 03:00 PM
SwampYankee

p.2 #9 · p.2 #9 · 5DIII cleaning my focusing screen

Quick update, shipped off to Canon, they acknowledged that it is a under warranty repair, and will ship it back within 7 days. Thats usually what they quote for any repair so I hope to have it sooner.

Jan 30, 2013 at 09:15 PM
scalesusa
• • • •
p.2 #10 · p.2 #10 · 5DIII cleaning my focusing screen

If a rocket blower does not clean it, and you just can't stand a few specs of dirt, have Canon replace it under warranty, or buy a replacement. Brushing or wiping it will make things worse. Buy a box of five, the dust will come back.

Feb 01, 2013 at 03:00 AM
SwampYankee

p.2 #11 · p.2 #11 · 5DIII cleaning my focusing screen

It's at Canon now, they said it's under warranty so they will fix it for free. I guess the long term plan is to learn how to do it myself. I shoot outside a lot in windy places so this is likely a long term issue. Blower brush made it worse and canned air always makes things worse. Bought a rocket blower and we will go from there. I'll be a bit more mindful of where I change lenses in the future. That should help too. Replacing the screens looks easy enough so once the warranty is finished it's time to learn something new. Shame Canon doesn't sell an extended warranty because I would definably buy one. I like their service, but my baby has been gone a week and I miss her :-)

Feb 04, 2013 at 07:51 PM
Ben Horne
• • • • • •
p.2 #12 · p.2 #12 · 5DIII cleaning my focusing screen

Shutterbug2006 wrote:
Well that's a nice big fat engineering design failure.

What are you referring to?

Shutterbug2006 wrote:
Does the dust affect focusing acquisition?

Dust on the focusing screen does nothing other than annoy new camera owners. :-) The focus sensor is not in the prism, it's on the floor of the mirror box.

Feb 04, 2013 at 08:12 PM
Bryan Conner

p.2 #13 · p.2 #13 · 5DIII cleaning my focusing screen

http://kinetronics.com/store/speckgrabber_product.html

Try a Speckgrabber pro.

Feb 05, 2013 at 06:58 AM
       end

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Reset password