Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

Archive 2013 · 5DIII cleaning my focusing screen

SwampYankee

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · 5DIII cleaning my focusing screen

So I accumulated a bit of dist on the focusing screen above the mirror. I took a blower brush and that just made it worse. I have put nothing else in there so I don't think there is any thing besides dust and some dirt. I then tried some compressed air and that didn't help at all. I don't want to make this worse but it's really annoying. How can I clean the focusing screen?
thanks

Jan 26, 2013 at 11:03 PM
JameelH
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · 5DIII cleaning my focusing screen

I avoid the blower either for this or for cleaning the sensor. It ust moves stuff around. And please no compressed air anywhere.

The best thing is to use something like the arctic butterfly. Using pecpads moistened with eclipse is also appropriate if the the brush doesn't work.

Jan 26, 2013 at 11:11 PM
mitesh
• • • •
p.1 #3 · 5DIII cleaning my focusing screen

The 5D3 focusing screen is easily scratched, so be very careful using any type of brush or other physical instrument. Since it isn't user replaceable, you'd have to send the camera in to Canon for service.

Jan 26, 2013 at 11:45 PM
SwampYankee

p.1 #4 · 5DIII cleaning my focusing screen

Thanks but $180 bucks is a bit steep to clean the focusing screen. I could send it to Canon for that. Are there any more economical solutions? The sensor is clean, the focusing screen is dirty

Jan 26, 2013 at 11:47 PM
mitesh
• • • •
p.1 #5 · 5DIII cleaning my focusing screen

SwampYankee wrote:
Thanks but $180 bucks is a bit steep to clean the focusing screen. I could send it to Canon for that. Are there any more economical solutions? The sensor is clean, the focusing screen is dirty

I agree- I was just cautioning you that a scratched focusing screen would likely result in a non-warranty service. I also have a dusty/dirty focusing screen. A blower removed the largest particles, but like your camera, mine still has some stubborn small bits that remain. I'm doing my best to ignore it and not make it worse

Jan 26, 2013 at 11:50 PM
SwampYankee

p.1 #6 · 5DIII cleaning my focusing screen

Easily scratched is one thing but how soft could this thing be if a soft brush could scratch it? I suspect an alcohol wipe is not a good idea, but I'm sure a dirty focusing screen is not coved under warranty although the camera is fairly new

Jan 26, 2013 at 11:53 PM
goosemang
• • •
p.1 #7 · 5DIII cleaning my focusing screen

did you turn it so the mount faces upside down when you blew it out?

i usually just put it on a tripod so the mount faces the floor and then use the rocket blower up into the chamber. this way the dust falls out instead of just landing somewhere else.

this has worked for me, but i haven't had stuck/stubborn dirt on mine...

Jan 27, 2013 at 12:12 AM
mitesh
• • • •
p.1 #8 · 5DIII cleaning my focusing screen

SwampYankee wrote:
Easily scratched is one thing but how soft could this thing be if a soft brush could scratch it? I suspect an alcohol wipe is not a good idea, but I'm sure a dirty focusing screen is not coved under warranty although the camera is fairly new

The 5D3 has the new LCD-overlay focusing screen. I imagine that is why it is particularly fragile.

Jan 27, 2013 at 12:26 AM
dlodi
• •
p.1 #9 · 5DIII cleaning my focusing screen

What about a sensor brush? You charge it statically and gently clean your sensor. I assume it will work for the focus screen as well but I would double-check. The static charge attracts the dust/dirt particles and seems to be fairly gentle. Not too expensive either. Check out Copper Hill Images. I've had good luck with their products (http://www.copperhillimages.com/shopping/pgm-more_information.php?id=1). Good luck.

Jan 27, 2013 at 12:26 AM
Paul Mo
• • • •
p.1 #10 · 5DIII cleaning my focusing screen

Take the brush/head off a vacuum cleaner. Hold your hand over the tube with the cleaner running to regulate the suction and gently allow the VC to suck out the dust through your fingers. Dust will cling so I'd follow the above suggestion.

Jan 27, 2013 at 01:59 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

Bacalhau
• •
p.1 #11 · 5DIII cleaning my focusing screen

If you don't have a CPS membership. then take it to your best local shop and ask for a estimate - and keep the vaccum cleaner away from it.
You still can try to talk with Canon's customer service, but trying to do it yourself, might end costing more than the $180.00...

Jan 28, 2013 at 03:21 PM
michaels photo

p.1 #12 · 5DIII cleaning my focusing screen

I had a problem with my 5D2 sort of like this...I had a dirty focus screen and when I took it out...I slightly blew...like a newbie/rookie...when I did...a little dab of spit/saliva got on the Super Imposed Display screen...when I tried to clean...it only to made it worse and scratch it all up...I sent it to Canon and it was all cleaned and replaced under warranty.

Lesson learned...DO NOT blow at your camera!

I hold my breath around my 5D3!

Jan 28, 2013 at 03:53 PM
Ben Horne
• • • • • •
p.1 #13 · 5DIII cleaning my focusing screen

If air doesn't get rid fo the spec, just learn to live with it. Obsessing over some small dust specs in the viewfinder will only lead to further frustration and potential damage to the camera. Almost everyone has some sort of dust in the viewfinder, and the focusing screen is incredibly fragile. Touching it with almost anything will scratch it.

Jan 28, 2013 at 03:55 PM
SwampYankee

p.1 #14 · 5DIII cleaning my focusing screen

Well it's still under warranty and Canon says "Try and blow it out and if the dirt is stubborn send it to Canon", so off it goes. So this week I learned to change your lens lots of time when you are out in the wind

Jan 28, 2013 at 04:08 PM
RCicala
• • • •
p.1 #15 · 5DIII cleaning my focusing screen

1) Call Canon parts and order a focusing screen. $19 last time I checked, cheaper if you buy a box of 5.
2) Change it.

We've attempted to clean, oh, about 500 of them. I think we were able to do it successfully 2 or 3 times. Replacement takes 5 minutes.

Jan 28, 2013 at 04:55 PM
Bacalhau
• •
p.1 #16 · 5DIII cleaning my focusing screen

RCicala wrote:
1) Call Canon parts and order a focusing screen. $19 last time I checked, cheaper if you buy a box of 5.
2) Change it.

We've attempted to clean, oh, about 500 of them. I think we were able to do it successfully 2 or 3 times. Replacement takes 5 minutes.

Are you confusing it with previous 5D models? 5D mk3 DOES NOT have an interchangeable focusing screen:
http://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/1090696
http://usa.canon.com/cusa/consumer/products/cameras/slr_cameras/eos_5d_mark_iii#Specifications

Jan 28, 2013 at 07:38 PM
RCicala
• • • •
p.1 #17 · 5DIII cleaning my focusing screen

Bacalhau wrote:
Are you confusing it with previous 5D models? 5D mk3 DOES NOT have an interchangeable focusing screen:
http://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/1090696
http://usa.canon.com/cusa/consumer/products/cameras/slr_cameras/eos_5d_mark_iii#Specifications

Ah, but it does. You just have to remove a couple of screws (Canon decided removing two screws rather than popping a retaining lever made it not user replaceable). I'm on my third box of 5D III replacement screens now. And one of the nice things about Canon (unlike brand X) they sell parts to whoever asks for them.

Jan 28, 2013 at 07:43 PM
jerrykur
• • • •
p.1 #18 · 5DIII cleaning my focusing screen

RCicala wrote:
2) Change it.

What makes the screen so hard to clean? And does the dust get lodged on the SI/prism side of the screen?

Edited on Jan 28, 2013 at 08:23 PM · View previous versions

Jan 28, 2013 at 08:12 PM
SwampYankee

p.1 #19 · 5DIII cleaning my focusing screen

Where are the 2 screws? Do have to lock the mirror or are they easily reachable? I'm still sending it to Canon because don't want to void the warranty but as the Camera is only 4 moths old and I do a lot of outdoor shooting this will be a recurring problem so I should learn to do it. This is great advice, thanks

Jan 28, 2013 at 08:18 PM
RCicala
• • • •
p.1 #20 · 5DIII cleaning my focusing screen

SwampYankee wrote:
Where are the 2 screws? Do have to lock the mirror or are they easily reachable? I'm still sending it to Canon because don't want to void the warranty but as the Camera is only 4 moths old and I do a lot of outdoor shooting this will be a recurring problem so I should learn to do it. This is great advice, thanks

I agree, if it's under warranty, just send it in. But for next time here's a quick image of the two black screws just inside the mount you remove; I've removed the one on the left, the one on the right is still in place.

I can't say exactly what it is about the screen that makes cleaning so hard, but my guess is very, very fine lines etched into it very closely made out of a very soft plastic. If you rub it with anything of significance, it leaves a permanent mark. If you brush it lightly, the stuff doesn't want to come off.

Jan 28, 2013 at 09:33 PM
       2       end

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password