Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

Archive 2013 · A Documented SWITCH from Canon to Nikon - A Lightshop Ori...

Cassario
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · A Documented SWITCH from Canon to Nikon - A Lightshop Original

Wanted to share this with you guys, its the Lightshop's writer Jack Fusco and his first part of the documentary of his recent switch from Canon to Nikon. This isnt an in depth comparison of the two, but the reasons for his switch. Part two will cover his experience with Nikon, the D800, and what his thoughts are on whether he made the right decision or not. Let me know what you guys think...

http://mylightshop.com/articles/the-switch

Jan 26, 2013 at 07:43 PM
okafoja
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · A Documented SWITCH from Canon to Nikon - A Lightshop Original

So this guy has only own XTI and later a Canon 7D. Who cares what he thinks about his switch. The guy is not qualified to comment on Canon Vs Nikon.

Jan 26, 2013 at 07:58 PM
molson
• • • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · A Documented SWITCH from Canon to Nikon - A Lightshop Original

okafoja wrote:
So this guy has only own XTI and later a Canon 7D. Who cares what he thinks about his switch. The guy is not qualified to comment on Canon Vs Nikon.

Could have been worse... he could have been documenting his move from a PowerShot to a Coolpix...

Jan 26, 2013 at 09:03 PM
Cassario
• •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · A Documented SWITCH from Canon to Nikon - A Lightshop Original

Are you serious? What does that matter? What you like him to have shot with? How about looking at the list of publications he has earned with those the XTi and 7D, including Nat Geo. This is the most immature statement I have seen. Im pretty sure you should take a look at his list of achievements on his site rather then the camera he used. The article is simply documenting his switch, not saying which is better, just his personal journey. He has earned a pretty good name for himself, so take a look at what he has achieved rather than what he has shot with. Thank you.

Jan 26, 2013 at 09:03 PM
Micky Bill
• • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · A Documented SWITCH from Canon to Nikon - A Lightshop Original

I switched from Verizon to Comcast..

Jan 26, 2013 at 09:14 PM
molson
• • • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · A Documented SWITCH from Canon to Nikon - A Lightshop Original

Cassario wrote:
Are you serious? What does that matter? What you like him to have shot with? How about looking at the list of publications he has earned with those the XTi and 7D, including Nat Geo. This is the most immature statement I have seen. Im pretty sure you should take a look at his list of achievements on his site rather then the camera he used. The article is simply documenting his switch, not saying which is better, just his personal journey. He has earned a pretty good name for himself, so take a look at what he has achieved
...Show more

Well, you asked what we thought...

I have no opinion on his talents or his claimed accomplishments. To me, the post you refer to comes across as just another blog with not a lot of substance, mentioning big brand names in order to attract more traffic and ad revenue...

Jan 26, 2013 at 09:14 PM
okafoja
• • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · A Documented SWITCH from Canon to Nikon - A Lightshop Original

Cassario wrote:
Are you serious? What does that matter? What you like him to have shot with? How about looking at the list of publications he has earned with those the XTi and 7D, including Nat Geo. This is the most immature statement I have seen. Im pretty sure you should take a look at his list of achievements on his site rather then the camera he used. The article is simply documenting his switch, not saying which is better, just his personal journey. He has earned a pretty good name for himself, so take a look at what he has achieved
...Show more

I'm sure he has accomplished a lot but XTI and 7D. Come on now.

Jan 26, 2013 at 10:24 PM
Graystar

p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · A Documented SWITCH from Canon to Nikon - A Lightshop Original

I don't see anything here other than an SNR contest. He's not telling us anything that DxOMark hasn't already told us.

I'd like to hear from someone who switched because of camera features...either the way exposure can be controlled, or the way AF can be tuned, etc.

For example, Canon doesn't appear to have a quick custom WB process. With a Nikon I hold the WB button for two secs, frame my gray card, and press the shutter. That's it...nothing more to do and the camera is ready to shoot. Canon's process isn't so straight-forward. I like setting a custom white balance, so that's a Nikon advantage for me. I also like that I can lock exposure with AE Lock, and then change my Exposure Mode (change nearly anything, really.) I can switch from A to S or even M and not lose my AE Lock. With Canon, as soon as you switch modes you lose your lock.

You never hear of people switching for those kinds of reasons, but the usability of the functions to certain purposes or even just to a person's style is fairly important, me thinks.

Jan 26, 2013 at 11:27 PM
Derek Weston
• • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · A Documented SWITCH from Canon to Nikon - A Lightshop Original

It's just a camera. I went from a canon rebel to d800 and didn't think anything of it. Took a couple of days, that was it. In fact, still keeping around the rebel as it has its uses.

To me they're more similar than dissimilar, if that makes any sense. Once you understand how a SLR camera works, they're just different tools.

The jump from non SLR to SLR was more of a learning curve.

Jan 27, 2013 at 01:22 AM
Graystar

p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · A Documented SWITCH from Canon to Nikon - A Lightshop Original

moonpeep wrote:
To me they're more similar than dissimilar, if that makes any sense. Once you understand how a SLR camera works, they're just different tools.

The thing is, though, that once you go beyond the basics, the functionality of the various brands can vary by a great deal.

On my Nikon, spot metering follows the focus point. Not so on all Canon's except for the 1DX. On every Nikon the Minimum Shutter Speed setting of AutoISO goes up to 1/2000s or faster. On Canons that even have that setting, it's limited to 1/250s. That means that I can use the MSS function of AutoISO with sports and birds in flight, whereas with Canon I can't. Nikons can set an AE Lock for 30 minutes or longer. Only the very latest Canons now have the ability to set an extended AE Lock. Nikons allow AutoISO and Exposure Compensation in M mode...Canon disables EC in M mode. That's just some of the ways in which the operations of the two brands differ.

I guess if a person doesn't use any of these functions then an SLR from any company will work the same way. But for people who do use these functions, the effect on the usability, and well as the suitability to a task, varies greatly.

Jan 27, 2013 at 02:25 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

lukeb
• • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · A Documented SWITCH from Canon to Nikon - A Lightshop Original

Graystar wrote:
I don't see anything here other than an SNR contest. He's not telling us anything that DxOMark hasn't already told us.

I'd like to hear from someone who switched because of camera features...either the way exposure can be controlled, or the way AF can be tuned, etc.

For example, Canon doesn't appear to have a quick custom WB process. With a Nikon I hold the WB button for two secs, frame my gray card, and press the shutter. That's it...nothing more to do and the camera is ready to shoot. Canon's process isn't so straight-forward. I like setting a custom white balance,
...Show more

+1

Jan 27, 2013 at 03:01 AM
Derek Weston
• • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · A Documented SWITCH from Canon to Nikon - A Lightshop Original

Graystar wrote:
The thing is, though, that once you go beyond the basics, the functionality of the various brands can vary by a great deal.

On my Nikon, spot metering follows the focus point. Not so on all Canon's except for the 1DX. On every Nikon the Minimum Shutter Speed setting of AutoISO goes up to 1/2000s or faster. On Canons that even have that setting, it's limited to 1/250s. That means that I can use the MSS function of AutoISO with sports and birds in flight, whereas with Canon I can't. Nikons can set an AE Lock for 30 minutes or longer.
...Show more

Ah. Yeah. Half that crap I never mess with. Shoot mostly manual and landscapes. Nikon had the best offering there, so there I went. (I've not even bothered to test the left AF point thing)

Jan 27, 2013 at 03:46 AM
cputeq
• • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · A Documented SWITCH from Canon to Nikon - A Lightshop Original

He may be an accomplished photographer, but I am an Ambassador of System Swaps. Rebel and 7D barely count as Canon experience

I will read the post, but if he's seriously trying to compare Rebel or 7D line to the D800, it is no damn wonder he swapped.

Edit -- ah ok he rented the 5D3 then tried the D800. Good for him then, getting the best tool for his astrophotography .

Jan 27, 2013 at 04:08 AM
Cassario
• •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · A Documented SWITCH from Canon to Nikon - A Lightshop Original

cputeq wrote:
He may be an accomplished photographer, but I am an Ambassador of System Swaps. Rebel and 7D barely count as Canon experience

I will read the post, but if he's seriously trying to compare Rebel or 7D line to the D800, it is no damn wonder he swapped.

Edit -- ah ok he rented the 5D3 then tried the D800. Good for him then, getting the best tool for his astrophotography .

Thank you for the respectable response, and taking the article for what it was. I appreciate it.

Jan 27, 2013 at 04:23 AM
Danner
• •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · A Documented SWITCH from Canon to Nikon - A Lightshop Original

I switched from beer to wine :-)

Jan 27, 2013 at 06:41 AM
zesto
• •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · A Documented SWITCH from Canon to Nikon - A Lightshop Original

Danner wrote:
I switched from beer to wine :-)

Was the switch worthwhile? Was there much of a learning curve?

I switched from wine to beer and it took a while to adjust but the results have been largely worthwhile - a lower hangover rate and a clearer outlook on things in general. The lower cost of beer was also an important consideration in my decision to change.

Jan 27, 2013 at 09:48 AM
Cassario
• •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · A Documented SWITCH from Canon to Nikon - A Lightshop Original

okafoja wrote:
I'm sure he has accomplished a lot but XTI and 7D. Come on now.

Your still not making yourself sound any better my friend. I love how the camera makes a difference. The article was written not for any type of revenue, nor was it written to throw out big names to attract business. Jack has a large following for his star work, and has had his photos published numerous times in magazines and on websites. Many of those who follow his work asked him about his switch, mainly Canon guys asking why he was leaving, so he documented it. I simply shared it. Instead of taking it for what its worth, you knock it because he only shot with a 7D for the past couple years, and an XTI before that. Now if Bob Krist, a professional Nikon photographer had written an article about switching to Canon would you be interested? He has done most of his work with a D90, does that discredit his work? Oh...let me guess, now you want to look at accomplishments. So...in your words, come on now.

Jan 27, 2013 at 02:28 PM
sjms
• • • • • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · A Documented SWITCH from Canon to Nikon - A Lightshop Original

actually I accomplished a lot with my XTi when I had it. even when I owned my 1Ds2 some of my favorite shots came out of the XTi. but in the end I have been shooting Nikon since 2008
but in the end I like them both regardless of the source optics and box its connected to. its about the image. I feel I can get it with any reasonable camera.

shot 1
28-Apr-2007 21:53:54
Make Canon
Model Canon EOS DIGITAL REBEL XTi
Flash Used No
Focal Length 300 mm
Exposure Time 1/125 sec
Aperture f/2.8
ISO Equivalent 1600

shot 2
13-Oct-2009 23:06:43
Make Nikon
Model NIKON D3
Flash Used No
Focal Length 38 mm
Exposure Time 1/80 sec
Aperture f/5.6
ISO Equivalent 560

Edited on Jan 27, 2013 at 03:14 PM · View previous versions

Jan 27, 2013 at 02:36 PM
Micky Bill
• • • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · A Documented SWITCH from Canon to Nikon - A Lightshop Original

Cassario wrote:
Your still not making yourself sound any better my friend. I love how the camera makes a difference. The article was written not for any type of revenue, nor was it written to throw out big names to attract business. Jack has a large following for his star work, and has had his photos published numerous times in magazines and on websites. Many of those who follow his work asked him about his switch, mainly Canon guys asking why he was leaving, so he documented it. I simply shared it. Instead of taking it for what its worth, you knock
...Show more

Lots but blogs out there about all kinds of photo related stuff but why are you hyping it? I just wonder why you think think one guy using a new camera is such a historically significant event. It's not like he changed from a canon to a 8x10 view camera or only shoots gopro cameras now...thousands of people have done the same thing since the Nikon was introduced. It's not that big of a deal.
Documenting a personal journey? Thats a tough walk to the front porch to get the ups box....Talk about hyperbole....

Jan 27, 2013 at 03:11 PM
nguyenhm16
• •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · A Documented SWITCH from Canon to Nikon - A Lightshop Original

molson wrote:
Well, you asked what we thought...

I have no opinion on his talents or his claimed accomplishments. To me, the post you refer to comes across as just another blog with not a lot of substance, mentioning big brand names in order to attract more traffic and ad revenue...

I didn't see any ads on his blog. I thought it was an interesting read - if you're not interested then fine but no need to be a negative nancy about it. I don't get why people dump on links to blog entries. There's no rule that substantive discussions are only allowed here, that they only exist here (and that blog entries are nothing but self promoting search optimizing and ad-serving efforts) or that you can't refer to other sites or blogs for things that you think other members may find interesting. Lets face it this site and DP Review can turn into a circle jerk of pointless substance-free discussions even easier than any blog - most blogs I've seen referred to here are from people who think they have something interesting to add to the discussion. While here on this site, there's your comments (and my response, to be fair) that don't do anything to move the discussion forward.

Jan 27, 2013 at 03:51 PM
       2       end

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Reset password