Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2013 · Nikon NEF Metadata, Nikon Transfer, and Lightroom 4.3

lsquare
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · Nikon NEF Metadata, Nikon Transfer, and Lightroom 4.3

So I recently imported a bunch of NEF files into LR4. These were taken with my Nikon D300 a long time ago. I notice something that doesn't appear when I imported my Canon or Panasonic RAW files.

Under normal circumstances at import, the Date Time Original, Date Time Digitized, and Date Time fields should be identical unless I have changed it with LR4 ahead of time. However, that's not the case. The Date Time field is different from the Date Time Original and Date Time Digitized fields. I have no idea why that's the case as it's been more than a few years since I have looked at the files. However, I'm certain I didn't used any tools like EXIFTool to edit the time. Now, I remember I used Nikon Transfer software to transfer the photos from my D300 to my laptop. I think that's why LR4 is showing Nikon Transfer under the Software field. Could there be a possibility that Nikon Transfer altered the time without informing me? If not, then what could possibly have caused this issue?

It's important that I find out because I need to get the times correct so that I can properly geotag my photos.

Thanks for the help in advance!

Jan 26, 2013 at 03:30 PM
lsquare
• • •
p.1 #2 · Nikon NEF Metadata, Nikon Transfer, and Lightroom 4.3

No one here knows?

Feb 02, 2013 at 07:35 AM
leighton w
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #3 · Nikon NEF Metadata, Nikon Transfer, and Lightroom 4.3

I have no idea. But you could check here: http://forums.adobe.com/community/lightroom

Feb 02, 2013 at 11:58 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

James R
• • • • •
p.1 #4 · Nikon NEF Metadata, Nikon Transfer, and Lightroom 4.3

I never used Nikon Transfer and don't anybody who has used the software. Another option is post this inquire on Luminous-Landscape Lightroom forum: http://www.luminous-landscape.com/forum/index.php?board=31.0

Feb 02, 2013 at 04:05 PM
ckcarr
• • • • •
p.1 #5 · Nikon NEF Metadata, Nikon Transfer, and Lightroom 4.3

I have used Nikon Transfer since it's inception, so regarding your question.

"Under normal circumstances at import, the Date Time Original, Date Time Digitized, and Date Time fields should be identical..."

That is not true, at least with Nikon Transfer.

All the Nikon date fields are telling you different information.

Date Time Original: The date and time when the original image data was generated.
For a digital still camera, this is the date and time the picture was taken or recorded.

Date Time Digitized: The date and time when the image was stored as digital data.
If, for example, an image was captured by a digital still camera, and at the same time the file was recorded, then the Date Time Original and Date Time Digitized will have essentially the same contents. Typically to a memory card. I am guessing here and may try a test, but I assume that if I fill my buffer and the camera lags in recording the files to the card, then there will be a variance between the Date Time Original and Date Time Digitized. That would be independent of the upload software.

Date Time: With Nikon Transfer the date & time when uploaded and saved on your computer, or whenever a change is made to the file. Note that Nikon Transfer does mark files when uploading through that program, which is probably the reason you have a variance. I don't have one file that has identical data in all three fields.

These days, original & digitized are essentially the same. However Date Time will be when you upload initially, and any subsequent change. So it's advisable to make sure both the camera and computer have correct dates.

Not sure what your old system was doing, perhaps no change to the file. but the above are the correct field descriptions and how it should be working with Nikon Transfer.

There is some technical discussion on the internet about these fields above and beyond the standard photo processing applications, and applicable to software development if you are a geek.

Feb 02, 2013 at 05:05 PM
lsquare
• • •
p.1 #6 · Nikon NEF Metadata, Nikon Transfer, and Lightroom 4.3

ckcarr wrote:
I have used Nikon Transfer since it's inception, so regarding your question.

"Under normal circumstances at import, the Date Time Original, Date Time Digitized, and Date Time fields should be identical..."

That is not true, at least with Nikon Transfer.

All the Nikon date fields are telling you different information.

Date Time Original: The date and time when the original image data was generated.
For a digital still camera, this is the date and time the picture was taken or recorded.

Date Time Digitized: The date and time when the image was stored as digital data.
If, for example, an image was captured by a
...Show more

Thank you for your explanation. I haven't experienced this issue since I stopped using Nikon Transfer. Since I sold my Nikon D300, I've been using only Canon and Panasonic cameras and the fields are all consistent.

At the time I was abroad, I changed the time on my desktop to match local time. Perhaps that might help further explain things here.

Feb 03, 2013 at 09:43 AM

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password