Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

Archive 2013 · Camera controls in 5 years

joshadams

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Camera controls in 5 years

I posted this at DPReview but wanted to know what you all think, too. And I like that I can put a poll up here

With cameras like the Samsung Galaxy Camera and now the Polaroid iM1836 (the interchangeable lens camera with Android built-in), do you think buttons are dead and everything (maybe not the shutter) will be done through the touch screen on cameras 5 years from now? Do you think the touch screen will appear more to people who like Instagram but might never have bought a "traditional" camera? It seems like the world's moving to touch, from the Tesla S to the Kindle Paperwhite...?

Jan 26, 2013 at 12:39 AM
jcolwell
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Camera controls in 5 years

Mind control. No touch, no buttons.

Not kidding.

P.S. welcome to FM.

Jan 26, 2013 at 12:54 AM
joshadams

p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Camera controls in 5 years

Half the time, I don't know what I'm thinking, so I'm not sure how I feel about my camera trying to guess

And thanks!

Jan 26, 2013 at 01:07 AM
jcolwell
• • • • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Camera controls in 5 years

joshadams wrote:
Half the time, I don't know what I'm thinking, ...

Focus!

Jan 26, 2013 at 01:32 AM
mpmendenhall
• • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Camera controls in 5 years

Touch for things where touch makes sense (e.g. selecting areas in an image for zoom/focus/metering); knobbly wheelmajigs for all essential shooting parameters (aperture, shutter speed, exposure compensation, etc.) so the camera can be operated one-handed, with gloves on, without looking.

Jan 26, 2013 at 03:17 AM
jcolwell
• • • • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Camera controls in 5 years

mpmendenhall wrote:
... with gloves on, without looking.

Touch typer?

Jan 26, 2013 at 03:25 AM
mpmendenhall
• • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Camera controls in 5 years

jcolwell wrote:
Touch typer?

I can only touch type when I'm not paying attention --- as soon as I consciously try to use a keyboard efficiently, I forget where all the letters are and have to look.

Anyway, I prefer to spend less time staring at my camera in place of looking at what I want to photograph, so I greatly prefer non-touchscreen controls that I can manipulate while my main attention is elsewhere. Touchscreens are fine for multipurpose devices (e.g. combo phone+camera+espresso-maker) that constantly need to switch interfaces, but I expect my camera to be a camera full-time, and have mechanical controls for the functions I frequently need.

Jan 26, 2013 at 03:35 AM
jcolwell
• • • • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Camera controls in 5 years

mpmendenhall wrote:
...Anyway, I prefer to spend less time staring at my camera in place of looking at what I want to photograph, .

Me too. Hence the mind control.

mpmendenhall wrote:
...but I expect my camera to be a camera full-time, and have mechanical controls for the functions I frequently need.

That too.

Jan 26, 2013 at 03:46 AM
mpmendenhall
• • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Camera controls in 5 years

My camera already has mind control. It makes me spend inordinate amounts of money and carry unwieldy mounds of gear to meet its whims.

... oh, you probably wanted mind control the other way around.

Jan 26, 2013 at 03:50 AM
jcolwell
• • • • • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Camera controls in 5 years

mpmendenhall wrote:
My camera already has mind control. It makes me spend inordinate amounts of money and carry unwieldy mounds of gear to meet its whims.

... oh, you probably wanted mind control the other way around.

Yes.

[me] What?

[cam] New body caps.

[me] OK.

[cam] New batts.

[me] Of course.

[cam] New strap.

[me] Strap? We don't need no sinking straps..

[cam] Exqueeze me?

[me] Oops, sorry. New strap in-coming...

[me] stupid camera.

[cam]

Jan 26, 2013 at 04:03 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

EB-1
• • • • • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Camera controls in 5 years

Will the human evolve in the next 5 years?

EBH

Jan 26, 2013 at 04:09 AM
jcolwell
• • • • • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Camera controls in 5 years

EB-1 wrote:

EBH

Yes.

Will we notice? Depends on who's looking and where they're looking.

Jan 26, 2013 at 04:14 AM
gome1122
• • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Camera controls in 5 years

jcolwell wrote:
Yes.

[me] What?

[cam] New body caps.

[me] OK.

[cam] New batts.

[me] Of course.

[cam] New strap.

[me] Strap? We don't need no sinking straps..

[cam] Exqueeze me?

[me] Oops, sorry. New strap in-coming...

[me] stupid camera.

[cam]

They love to feast on my wallet too. Just as a snack though.It's a bad time when they really get hungry.

Jan 26, 2013 at 01:20 PM
Glenn NK
• • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Camera controls in 5 years

EB-1 wrote:

EBH

Humanity thinks it will. In a few thousand years it will evolve a barely perceptible amount.

Some people think they can text and drive; one of them died here last year while doing it - drove into a ditch - effectively a head-on collision. Stupidity can be tragic.

Back OT:

To me there seems to be a functional difference between a camera and pad/pod: the camera is something I tend to look through; the latter something I look at.

On my cameras, most (all) of the critical information is visible in the viewfinder; once one knows their camera, there aren't many reasons to take the eye away from what's being captured. I suppose changing a lens might be an exception.

Could it be that with everything being on a touch-screen, one might spend a bit of time being distracted from the image (texting while driving?).

Touch controls have one operational advantage - they can be made weatherproof at little cost, so I would predict they are inevitable. Now, back to fixing that leaky lens.

G

Jan 26, 2013 at 05:27 PM
Bifurcator
• • • • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Camera controls in 5 years

I found touch on my GH2 to be slightly interesting. The one-touch shutter release with AF and AE on that point are interesting to me. I would not say better - just interesting. For captured image viewing the now all too common swiping for next/previous image is maybe a little bit more useful than buttons. For menu and option selection it's much worse than using physical tactile controls but since there is touch anyway I can understanding them being there as well.

I could live without touch on my camera and never notice it wash't there. After the initial interest wore off the only time I've used touch is to accidentally take some unintended shots.

Jan 26, 2013 at 06:10 PM
EB-1
• • • • • • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Camera controls in 5 years

Well my point is that touch controls are only of limited use, given the ability of human fingers to operate various controls without looking.

One thing I really dislike about all touch screens is the rapid accumulation of oily film and dead skin particles.

EBH

Jan 26, 2013 at 07:38 PM
jcolwell
• • • • • • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Camera controls in 5 years

EB-1 wrote:
..One thing I really dislike about all touch screens is the rapid accumulation of oily film and dead skin particles.

EBH

Yeah. You should see my iPad.

Jan 26, 2013 at 10:34 PM
joshadams

p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · Camera controls in 5 years

mpmendenhall wrote:
Touch for things where touch makes sense (e.g. selecting areas in an image for zoom/focus/metering); knobbly wheelmajigs for all essential shooting parameters (aperture, shutter speed, exposure compensation, etc.) so the camera can be operated one-handed, with gloves on, without looking.

Maybe this is silly, but I'd consider setting metering and focus to be an essential shooting parameter. If that's touch-based, doesn't that conflict with the "one-handed, with gloves on, without looking" statement?

Jan 26, 2013 at 11:23 PM
joshadams

p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · Camera controls in 5 years

EB-1 wrote:
Well my point is that touch controls are only of limited use, given the ability of human fingers to operate various controls without looking.

One thing I really dislike about all touch screens is the rapid accumulation of oily film and dead skin particles.

EBH

I agree if you're using EVF/OVF, but what if everything is via live view? Then you're touching the image you're looking at.

Jan 26, 2013 at 11:24 PM
mpmendenhall
• • • •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · Camera controls in 5 years

joshadams wrote:
Maybe this is silly, but I'd consider setting metering and focus to be an essential shooting parameter. If that's touch-based, doesn't that conflict with the "one-handed, with gloves on, without looking" statement?

That's not a silly consideration --- you just caught one of my personal camera use biases. Since I shoot exclusively with manual focus lenses, I think of selecting autofocus points by touch as an inevitable camera feature for other people to use, but not a critical feature for my own photography. I suppose if I was an autofocus user, I'd want eye controlled focus; as a manual focuser, I already have eye controlled focus with a good viewfinder . Perhaps an eye-controlled focus point magnification on an EVF would be a useful feature for me; but I suspect that a good implementation of focus peaking would be more practical. Showing a histogram for the smaller image area where I am looking might be a nifty metering feature --- though I hope that in 5 years, my camera sensor will have so much DR that I will rarely worry about making critical metering decisions at the time of shooting.

Jan 27, 2013 at 12:48 AM
       2       end

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Reset password