Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       3              5       6       end

Archive 2013 · UPDATE! Impressed with my $6k expenditure...

RJKphoto
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · UPDATE! Impressed with my $6k expenditure...

I parted with $6,000 for a new D4, and I have to tell you, I am not really impressed. The colors seem great, but the focusing with the 24-70 and 70-200 are crap. Even at 5.6...not happy at all. Back to Adorama you go!

Edited on Feb 04, 2013 at 05:06 PM · View previous versions

Jan 25, 2013 at 09:53 PM
BenV
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · UPDATE! Impressed with my $6k expenditure...

Possible it wasn't calibrated right? From my personal use with the D4, its IMO the best camera Nikon has made to date. (not including film cameras)

Jan 25, 2013 at 09:59 PM
kylehess10
• •
p.1 #3 · UPDATE! Impressed with my $6k expenditure...

I agree with BenV. I tried the D4 for the first time last week at the ImagingUSA expo and it's definitely better than my D3 and slightly better than my D3s. It must be a bad copy

Jan 25, 2013 at 10:04 PM
RJKphoto
• • •
p.1 #4 · UPDATE! Impressed with my $6k expenditure...

At six grand a whack, there should be no such thing as a bad copy. I was flexible with Nikon when I bought a F4 way back when, and cut them a lot of slack on the then brand new AF system, but now it should be perfect right out of the box, especially considering the cost. I see little improvement in the files, and the AF is disappointing to say the very least. I have been a die hard Nikon user since 1979, but this camera is truly testing my devotion. And I doing something wrong? I don't know what it could be, I've tried static test, real world tests, I don't know what else to do. Maybe it's something else, but the image should be stellar at 70mm 1/1250 f5.6 ISO 200.

Jan 25, 2013 at 10:20 PM
BenV
• • • • •
p.1 #5 · UPDATE! Impressed with my $6k expenditure...

RJKphoto wrote:
At six grand a whack, there should be no such thing as a bad copy. I was flexible with Nikon when I bought a F4 way back when, and cut them a lot of slack on the then brand new AF system, but now it should be perfect right out of the box, especially considering the cost. I see little improvement in the files, and the AF is disappointing to say the very least. I have been a die hard Nikon user since 1979, but this camera is truly testing my devotion. And I doing something wrong? I don't know
...Show more

It could just of had bad calibration. Stuff happens. The camera is just a tool. Doesn't matter how much money you spent on it. I've seen $130,000 torque converters break the first time they were used.

Anywho, send it to calibration, get it fixed, enjoy your camera.

Jan 25, 2013 at 10:34 PM
Hardcore
• • •
p.1 #6 · UPDATE! Impressed with my $6k expenditure...

RJKphoto wrote:
At six grand a whack, there should be no such thing as a bad copy. I was flexible with Nikon when I bought a F4 way back when, and cut them a lot of slack on the then brand new AF system, but now it should be perfect right out of the box, especially considering the cost. I see little improvement in the files, and the AF is disappointing to say the very least. I have been a die hard Nikon user since 1979, but this camera is truly testing my devotion. And I doing something wrong? I don't know
...Show more

I had a Mirror Assembly blow up on me which caused severe focus issues on the d800. I agree with others, you just caught a crap copy of the camera. Return it and get a new one and the focus will be great.

Jan 25, 2013 at 10:38 PM
SweetMk
• •
p.1 #7 · UPDATE! Impressed with my $6k expenditure...

BenV wrote:
It could just of had bad calibration. Stuff happens. The camera is just a tool. Doesn't matter how much money you spent on it. I've seen $130,000 torque converters break the first time they were used.

Anywho, send it to calibration, get it fixed, enjoy your camera.

I am not dissing you BenV, but,

That camera must be factory QC'ed. PERIOD! I would not accept a "calibrate". I like Adorama (a box came from them yesterday), but, they would loose this sale.

For that much jingle, the camera IS perfect, If not, I wait for the next model.

If I am willing to drop 6G's to go from a D3 to a D4, Nikon MUST make me happy the first time.

If "repaired" camera's are accepted as new, we as customers will never win.

A 6G order is significant, let 100 people return them, Nikon will notice. Let 1,000 people return them, they will question doing that ever again. This is not a pro-sumer, high production camera. Heck, some lenses have only had 750 copies made.

Honda and Toyota figured that out long ago.

Jan 25, 2013 at 10:50 PM
Mark_L
• • • •
p.1 #8 · UPDATE! Impressed with my $6k expenditure...

Unfortunately Nikon thinks it is ok to pass any calibration to make up for their manufacturing tolerances on to the consumer by implementing a crude offset feature.

Jan 25, 2013 at 11:21 PM
ct8282
• • • •
p.1 #9 · UPDATE! Impressed with my $6k expenditure...

Perhaps you should be more specific when you say the AF is poor and IQ is poor.

My D4 is the f-ing mutts nuts and hard,y ever misses a thing, and I'm not exactly a wizard at focusing. The camera is always a step ahead of me and I feel like a cheat when I use it. I shot my first wedding with it recently and it made the whole day so much fun.

Jan 25, 2013 at 11:42 PM
binary visions
• • • •
p.1 #10 · UPDATE! Impressed with my $6k expenditure...

Having worked for a couple electronics manufacturers, I think the expectation of perfection without exception just because you spent $6k is pretty much delusional.

Of course, the nice thing about our free society is you are welcome to have totally unrealistic expectations, you are welcome to return the camera based on those expectations, and you are equally welcome to buy another camera, or a different brand entirely.

Hope your next gear meets your needs!

Jan 26, 2013 at 12:43 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

sjms
• • • • • •
p.1 #11 · UPDATE! Impressed with my $6k expenditure...

the AF system is a bit of a tweak from the D3/D3s. more complex and more capable once it is learned. but then again few do. I get better results overall with it.

Jan 26, 2013 at 01:08 AM
Mescalamba
• • • •
p.1 #12 · UPDATE! Impressed with my $6k expenditure...

Mark_L wrote:
Unfortunately Nikon thinks it is ok to pass any calibration to make up for their manufacturing tolerances on to the consumer by implementing a crude offset feature.

Lately I think that every manufacturer with micro-adjustment does that.

Tho this was most likely simply bad sample. Sh*t happens, it shouldnt but does. I would simply replace it and try it again. Nothing is perfect and today camera is super complex stuff.

Jan 26, 2013 at 01:18 AM
SweetMk
• •
p.1 #13 · UPDATE! Impressed with my $6k expenditure...

binary visions wrote:
Having worked for a couple electronics manufacturers, I think the expectation of perfection without exception just because you spent $6k is pretty much delusional.

My 2012 Honda Accord, which I would bet has more computing power than a D4, is perfect. Failure with a auto causes death, Ask Toyota.

Many of us are driving "by wire" these days. The electronics of the transmission amazes me.

Nikon can do it, they charge enough.

I think I am realistic.

Jan 26, 2013 at 01:36 AM
RJKphoto
• • •
p.1 #14 · UPDATE! Impressed with my $6k expenditure...

Hey binary, thanks for the really helpful comments.

It's not like I just picked up a camera yesterday. I've been at this longer than most of you have been alive. When I bought Macintosh audio gear, I paid a premium price, and the equipment delivered premium performance. I didn't buy a consumer , or even "prosumer" Nikon, I bought their flagship, top of the line camera. It should work. It's not a tweak, you shouldn't need any AF adjustments at 5.6 + it's not sharp, and that's on multiple lenses, and multiple AF setting. It is inconsistent at best.

I suppose this type of QC is why Nikon has an unending supply of "refurbished" items!

Jan 26, 2013 at 01:53 AM
MikeW
• • •
p.1 #15 · UPDATE! Impressed with my $6k expenditure...

just grab another one already, it is an awesome camera

Jan 26, 2013 at 02:02 AM
RJKphoto
• • •
p.1 #16 · UPDATE! Impressed with my $6k expenditure...

Ok...ok, I'll send it back and exchange it for another one... One more chance!

Jan 26, 2013 at 02:06 AM
snapsy
• • • •
p.1 #17 · UPDATE! Impressed with my $6k expenditure...

Can't not bring out the McKayla Maroney photo...

Jan 26, 2013 at 02:27 AM
MalbikEndar
• •
p.1 #18 · UPDATE! Impressed with my $6k expenditure...

> My 2012 Honda Accord, which I would bet has more computing power than a D4, is perfect.

The D4 is the Ferrari of cameras. Exceedingly high performance, easy to drive into a telephone pole. The Honda Accord is the D3000, or maybe a mirrorless.

Just sayin'.

Jan 26, 2013 at 02:41 AM
SweetMk
• •
p.1 #19 · UPDATE! Impressed with my $6k expenditure...

MalbikEndar wrote:
> My 2012 Honda Accord, which I would bet has more computing power than a D4, is perfect.

The D4 is the Ferrari of cameras. Exceedingly high performance, easy to drive into a telephone pole. The Honda Accord is the D3000, or maybe a mirrorless.

Just sayin'.

It may be Ferrari, but, it has more QC issues than it should. A pro-sumer camera should get you perfection.

Digital stuff is much easier to perfect than analog. The complaints should not be there, Nikon has been doing this for more than a week. Those are my views, that said, I buy Nikon, but, not an adjusted one!

Jan 26, 2013 at 03:35 AM
nick53097
• • •
p.1 #20 · UPDATE! Impressed with my $6k expenditure...

After 2 D800 with AF problem I found D800E that was just right....
Did try D4 and was not that impressed, still prefer my D3s (was a bad copy I guess)
The problem is all that great companies trying to cut a cost of production and we are the victims (still have to pay a lot of money for these goods )

Jan 26, 2013 at 03:38 AM

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password