Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2013 · Manual Flash on Nikon using a cable ttl extension (D600 a...

borismilan
• •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Manual Flash on Nikon using a cable ttl extension (D600 and SB700)

Hello, first I hope this is the correct place to post my question
I recently moved from Canon to Nikon with a D600 and SB700 and a couple of lens but I have a question i hope you can help me with
I am used to take portraits with my flash set on Manual, I connect my flash to the camera via a TTL cable mounted on a softbox or umbrella (not using the Command mode of the pop up flash) this hard wires the flash to my body, effectively is just like having the flash on the hot shoe
(Another issue that might contribute to my lack of knowledge is that the SB700 has a switch for setting the flash on Manual or TTL, not sure if this is a reason for my question)

My question is:
I can Not seem to find the way to control my flash settings and make it a Manual Flash, Ittl ( for example power 1/1, 1/4, 1/8 etc) in my camera menu (not in the flash menu that I know)?
Is this possible in Nikon system? I was able to do this on my Canon 7D and 60D

I see the menu "Flash Cntrl for built in flash" but It doesnt affect the flash when is on camera?
I might be missing something but I hope you can help
Thank you in advance

Jan 25, 2013 at 02:22 PM
Elan II
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Manual Flash on Nikon using a cable ttl extension (D600 and SB700)

The answer is no. External speedlight settings are made in the speedlight itself. The exception to this are external speedlights which don't have external controls, like the SB400. Those respond to the in-camera built-in flash controls.

Jan 26, 2013 at 05:48 AM
borismilan
• •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Manual Flash on Nikon using a cable ttl extension (D600 and SB700)

Thank you.
That really sucks

Jan 26, 2013 at 11:07 AM
borismilan
• •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Manual Flash on Nikon using a cable ttl extension (D600 and SB700)

Thank you.
That really sucks

Jan 26, 2013 at 11:07 AM
Elan II
• • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Manual Flash on Nikon using a cable ttl extension (D600 and SB700)

borismilan wrote:
Thank you.
That really sucks

Only because you're used to this being a certain way. I can have a body setup for natural light shooting, then slap on a speedlight when necessary and start shooting without having to fiddle with settings. This because the speedlight is already set the way I need it to be. So here I am used to things being this way and would not want Nikon to change.

Btw, if you're looking for a reason for this, it might be the Nikon Creative Lighting System, or CLS. I may be wrong, but I think this feature lands itself to control at the individual speedlights rather than a central control.

Jan 26, 2013 at 03:15 PM
borismilan
• •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Manual Flash on Nikon using a cable ttl extension (D600 and SB700)

Well, I have been taking portraits in manual flash and got used to a way of doing it with out radio transmitters etc
The cool thing of having a cable connected to the flash that is mounted on a stand (probably a few meters away from you) is that you can modify the settings of the flash exposure in the camera without moving, rather than leaving your camera and reaching the flash buttons on the stand to modify your settings, then come back to the camera
With my older Canon system I was able to change the settings of the flash in the camera menu without moving; using a 24 feet cable, this was very practical, and I assumed that the nikon system being regarded as "better" was able to provide this menus in camera as well
You are correct, there is 1000 "right" ways to do the same thing and I guess i will adapt to this change too, but I will say is a bit disappointing that such an "obvious to me" feature is not present on such a modern camera
I did not expect that changing Canon to Nikon would be such a steep learning curve to me
Very happy with results of my images but the Camera has taken me a bit longer to make my setting changes natural and automatic to my hands

Jan 26, 2013 at 03:33 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

James R
• • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Manual Flash on Nikon using a cable ttl extension (D600 and SB700)

Check out Radio Poppers PX system, which will allow you total control..

You are right, it is a matter of what you are use too. Personally, I hate cables, especially long cables and have relied on Nikon's SU800 or transmitters for years--never used the pop-up flash as a master, even when I shot the D800e. Just a matter of preference. Good luck on your continued exploration of Nikon. I can image the world of change I would be subjected to if I converted to Canon.

Jan 26, 2013 at 05:36 PM
borismilan
• •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Manual Flash on Nikon using a cable ttl extension (D600 and SB700)

Thank you James
Yes, cables Can be annoying sometimes, but for 50$ I have a super reliable way to get my Flash off camera
I can go on the move and set to TTL if I want to, mount my flash on a Monopod with a EZsoftbox and be a One man show lighting and shooting
The reality is that Radio popper are expensive and cant afford it at this time PLUS!
Nikon will come up (someday soon i believe ) with a response to canons 600RX radio transmitting flash
It will be expensive but just wonderful, and I will be waiting for that
I own a SB700 and a SB600, I guess I will have to set it up with CLS

Jan 26, 2013 at 05:43 PM
Gregstx
• • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Manual Flash on Nikon using a cable ttl extension (D600 and SB700)

borismilan wrote:
Well, I have been taking portraits in manual flash and got used to a way of doing it with out radio transmitters etc
The cool thing of having a cable connected to the flash that is mounted on a stand (probably a few meters away from you) is that you can modify the settings of the flash exposure in the camera without moving, rather than leaving your camera and reaching the flash buttons on the stand to modify your settings, then come back to the camera

I am not the world's expert on the Nikon CLS flash set up but I am sure that you can control the output level of the Nikon flashes like the SB700 from your camera. When the SB700 is in the remote mode and your built in flash is in the command mode you can adjust flash exposure levels independently from the camera. And a bonus is there are no messy cables to bother with.

Jan 27, 2013 at 04:01 AM
borismilan
• •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Manual Flash on Nikon using a cable ttl extension (D600 and SB700)

Yes you can use the commander mode of the pop up flash
However , even if you set the pop up flash to not collaborate to the exposure, the flash actually fires to command the sb700
This will actually show many times
When you use a flash on the camera to command another flash
Say a sb800, 700, 900 to fire a sb600 for example and you set it to not collaborate to the exposure, the command beam is actually a IR pulse different from the pop up flash
Another situation I try to avoid is to fire a remote flash on a sunny day or when line of sight is not easily achievable.
There are many ways to do this, Pocket wizard TT1, Chinese radio triggers, radio poppers.
These are pretty expensive setups, I was just trying to avoid spending a ton of money, particularly when I can see Nikon coming out with a radio based flash cls system pretty soon.

Jan 27, 2013 at 04:21 AM
Gregstx
• • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Manual Flash on Nikon using a cable ttl extension (D600 and SB700)

borismilan wrote:
However , even if you set the pop up flash to not collaborate to the exposure, the flash actually fires to command the sb700
This will actually show many times

I guess if the the on board flash was going to show it would have to be when shooting towards a highly reflective surface. I took this as an opportunity to try to learn something. I got my D7K and SB800 and I found that it was possible to shoot directly into a reflective surface (glass cabinet doors) and have absolutely no sign of reflection from the on camera flash. I set the camera to manual exposure and the camera to 1/500th and f5. The built in flash mode was set to (--) and the remote flash was set to TTL and compensation to 0. The shot came out a little underexposed but I think I could have adjusted the flash output from the camera and gotten a correct exposure. OK, so why did it work with no reflection at all? I did find out that at 1/320th I could see a very slight reflection from the on camera flash. Another thing that puzzled me was that none of the frame was darkened from the shutter speed being above the normal maximum flash sync speed which is 1/320th on the D7000.

Jan 27, 2013 at 06:00 AM

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Reset password