New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2013 · tripod question

pizdets17
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · tripod question

So I have a Manfrotto 055xprob, and its a great unit but the folded length and weight is a pain. I want a carbon fibre tripod but not sure if I should just buy the 055cxpro4 (same tripod but CF) or if there is something a better bang for the buck. Want to stay under $400, as tall as possible (im 6'4") and as light as possible and folds up as small as possible. Heaviest load on it would be a 100-400 canon lens with a 5dMK3 body. What would be the best value you guys think? I also want to use the 498rc2 head I already have so the mount would have to work on it..

Thanks!

Jan 25, 2013 at 12:02 AM
nma
• • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · tripod question

Hello,

I recommend that you consider the Feisol 3442 CF leg set. These legs fold small and extend rather high. I am 6 ft 1 and use it without a center column. I am not familiar with the 498cr2 head and whether it will manage the 100-400; the legs will be fine. With my 100-400 wind is a problem; you need a heavy head and solid head, something inconsistent with light weight.

Jan 25, 2013 at 02:24 AM
pizdets17
• • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · tripod question

the 498 I have is pretty beefy, so it should be fine. Never heard of feisol, ill look into it, thanks!

Jan 25, 2013 at 02:43 AM
M635_Guy
• • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · tripod question

Might want to check out the Sirui M3204:
http://www.amazon.com/Sirui-Series-Tripod-Section-58-7in/dp/B004QC4TG4
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/822247-REG/Sirui_BSRM3204_M_3204_4_Section_Carbon_Fiber.html (though B&H is out)

You're going to hear a lot of stuff about "Cheap chinese knockoffs" on this forum. I'm played with one several times at two of my local camera shops (real ones where the place smells like canvas and chemicals and the staff doesn't spend a lot of money on shaving cream), and found it to be a pretty solid piece of kit. The staff at both shops was pretty enthusiastic about it. The Canon 100-400 isn't so insanely large that it should challenge that tripod, though I'd guess The Gitzo/Markins base/RRS head combo would be better.

As for the head, I'm not a fan of ANY of Manfrottos heads. Their ergonomics are pretty poor, and their plate system is worse. I'd see if you can pick up a used RRS head or one of the more affordable Sunwayfoto heads.

Jan 25, 2013 at 07:48 AM
15Bit
• • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · tripod question

I also have the Feisol 3442. I looked at the CXPROB and whilst the horizontal/vertical switching of the centre column looks handy, I wasn't impressed with the quality and stiffness of the setup.

Jan 25, 2013 at 09:07 AM
pizdets17
• • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · tripod question

bh is out and amazon can't ship it to canada (gotta love it because there is an amazon.ca) lol. Looks good, but I am intrigued by the 2.3lb weight of the feisol now. It also seems the same 388-399 everywhere, no deals to be had eh>?

Jan 25, 2013 at 12:40 PM
Steve Walker

p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · tripod question

I also recommend the Feisol CT3442. I sure like mine.

Jan 25, 2013 at 01:39 PM
Astragony
• •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · tripod question

Feisol 3442, love it

Jan 26, 2013 at 06:08 AM
pizdets17
• • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · tripod question

I ended up buying Photoclam pt124. Lighter, shorter when folder, comes with the center column, spikes are built in, and it was $320 shipped. I think it will do just fine, thanks for the comments guys.

Jan 27, 2013 at 02:09 AM

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.