New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Leica & Alternative Gear | Join Upload & Sell

2       3       end

Archive 2013 · Nex / Zeiss FF lenses and Camera E-Mount

Jim Schemel
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Nex / Zeiss FF lenses and Camera E-Mount

Here is a very interesting link to take a look at.
Jim

Sony Unveils Two New NEX Lenses, Full Frame Glass and Camera Coming Soon?
http://www.petapixel.com/2013/01/24/sony-unveils-two-new-nex-lenses-full-frame-glass-and-camera-coming-soon/

Jan 24, 2013 at 02:53 PM
plasticmotif
• • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Nex / Zeiss FF lenses and Camera E-Mount

I'll buy a full frame NEX the moment it comes out.

Jan 24, 2013 at 02:56 PM
sebboh
• • • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Nex / Zeiss FF lenses and Camera E-Mount

i'll take one!

i'd like to know what the camera will look like (size and layout) and what type of lenses zeiss has in mind.

Jan 24, 2013 at 03:04 PM
Jim Schemel
• • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Nex / Zeiss FF lenses and Camera E-Mount

Maybe the lenses will be like their ZM line in terms of size and build quality.
Jim

Jan 24, 2013 at 03:22 PM
carstenw
• • • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Nex / Zeiss FF lenses and Camera E-Mount

I'd like to know what the price will be like. Following the steps of the RX1 the prices might approach Leica territory, in which case it no longer makes sense.

Jan 24, 2013 at 03:25 PM
douglasf13
• • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Nex / Zeiss FF lenses and Camera E-Mount

The RX1 includes a lens, though. I see no reason why a FF Nex couldn't be around $3K or so.

Jan 24, 2013 at 03:32 PM
zhangyue
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Nex / Zeiss FF lenses and Camera E-Mount

sebboh wrote:
i'll take one!

i'd like to know what the camera will look like (size and layout) and what type of lenses zeiss has in mind.

Prepare to pay like $3999 to $4499

Jan 24, 2013 at 03:33 PM
ricardovaste
• • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Nex / Zeiss FF lenses and Camera E-Mount

No huge surprise really. If someone had made an educated guess that we'd see something FF and NEX related in a year and a half most would probably agree since the release of the RX1 and that FF video cam.

So yeah, not a lot to talk about until we see the thing if you ask me...

Jan 24, 2013 at 03:33 PM
zhangyue
• • • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Nex / Zeiss FF lenses and Camera E-Mount

douglasf13 wrote:
The RX1 includes a lens, though. I see no reason why a FF Nex couldn't be around $3K or so.

Douglas, you bit me on that. But rx1 price surprise lots of people at beginning, I don't think Sony will disappoint you this time. As long as they are the only one, they can certainly ask that kind of money. I mean 4k+

Jan 24, 2013 at 03:35 PM
joe88
• • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Nex / Zeiss FF lenses and Camera E-Mount

douglasf13 wrote:

Looking at how others have priced their mirrorless cameras at the equivalent DSLR pricing, I would make a wild guess that it would be priced somewhere in the US$2.2 to 2.6k region?

Jan 24, 2013 at 03:50 PM
ISO1600
• • • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Nex / Zeiss FF lenses and Camera E-Mount

I'm guessing 3-4k. It'll probably be fantastic.

Jan 24, 2013 at 03:51 PM
Mescalamba
• • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Nex / Zeiss FF lenses and Camera E-Mount

If they want to actually sell it, they will need to go somewhere around "starter FF dSLR". And if they would be really clever, they would undercut them. It will be still very profitable for them as making mirrorless FF is way cheaper, than making regular FF dSLR.

Time will tell ofc.

Small edit: Im quite curious about one aspect and thats corner IQ. Cause if its going to be like NEX-7, then wide-angle is dSLR lens only, which for some will sorta kill that "lightweight and reasonably small". Personally I dont care, but still curious about this.

Edited on Jan 24, 2013 at 04:01 PM · View previous versions

Jan 24, 2013 at 03:53 PM
mortyb
• • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Nex / Zeiss FF lenses and Camera E-Mount

ricardovaste wrote:
No huge surprise really. If someone had made an educated guess that we'd see something FF and NEX related in a year and a half most would probably agree since the release of the RX1 and that FF video cam.

So yeah, not a lot to talk about until we see the thing if you ask me...

+1

Jan 24, 2013 at 04:00 PM
Dudewithoutape
• • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Nex / Zeiss FF lenses and Camera E-Mount

While I'm not going to contest whether a FF NEX is on the way or not, I'm not sure how 2 new E-mount lenses (clearly APS-C sized) adds any indication to the possibility of a FF NEX coming.

Jan 24, 2013 at 04:13 PM
plasticmotif
• • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Nex / Zeiss FF lenses and Camera E-Mount

Dudewithoutape wrote:
While I'm not going to contest whether a FF NEX is on the way or not, I'm not sure how 2 new E-mount lenses (clearly APS-C sized) adds any indication to the possibility of a FF NEX coming.

Full frame NEX video camera lenses and Video camera point that direction.

Jan 24, 2013 at 04:20 PM
Dudewithoutape
• • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Nex / Zeiss FF lenses and Camera E-Mount

plasticmotif wrote:
Full frame NEX video camera lenses and Video camera point that direction.

But there's already a FF NEX video camera.....

Jan 24, 2013 at 04:33 PM
philip_pj
• • • • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Nex / Zeiss FF lenses and Camera E-Mount

ISO1600 is correct, I believe. This may be what they do instead of more RX1 cameras.

I expect an elegant RX1 style camera, bristling with next-gen RX electronics, an updated 24-30Mp sensor from the RX1/a99, integrated and updated EVF, folding LCD - and image quality to wow Leica M users.

On the body, the NEXs always looked tacky to me, but this is not a description you can use for the RX1. NEX will stay down market for quite some time, the sensor size is the differentiation factor.

Leica will not be able to compete with Sony on electronics, I believe - Sony are creating a (another) new market niche, not a Leica M copy/competitor here.

Price? Much below Leica M and very good value for what you get - plus they can bundle the normal prime for a back to the future 'kit' lens lower cost release.

An interchangeable lens RX1, IOW, with M mount/DLSR lens compatibility, featuring its own CZ lineup, hopefully ready at time of release. Who else can do that? Sony is fleeing the phone camera market, higher end products = higher profitability.

Jan 24, 2013 at 05:15 PM
Dudewithoutape
• • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · Nex / Zeiss FF lenses and Camera E-Mount

philip_pj wrote:
ISO1600 is correct, I believe. This may be what they do instead of more RX1 cameras.

I expect an elegant RX1 style camera, bristling with next-gen RX electronics, an updated 24-30Mp sensor from the RX1/a99, integrated and updated EVF, folding LCD - and image quality to wow Leica M users.

On the body, the NEXs always looked tacky to me, but this is not a description you can use for the RX1. NEX will stay down market for quite some time, the sensor size is the differentiation factor.

Leica will not be able to compete with Sony on electronics, I
...Show more

I agree with everything you've said, but the end. Sony did just show a 13 MP EXMOR cell phone camera at CES and economies of scale tend to go against "higher end products = higher profitability". Take for example Canon and Nikon, where do they make their most money? Not from their high end flagships (D4 and 1DX), but rather the lower end, such as P&Ss (that is changing in recent years) and APS-C.

Jan 24, 2013 at 05:29 PM
Makten
• • • • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · Nex / Zeiss FF lenses and Camera E-Mount

Mescalamba wrote:
If they want to actually sell it, they will need to go somewhere around "starter FF dSLR".

Are you kidding? Of course they don't need to, because there will probably still be no competition. I bet they can charge $3-4k and sell a lot with reasonable profit. I mean, the current NEX cameras are more expensive than their SLR counterparts, and they sell.

Edited on Jan 25, 2013 at 12:34 AM · View previous versions

Jan 24, 2013 at 05:48 PM
ISO1600
• • • • •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · Nex / Zeiss FF lenses and Camera E-Mount

after looking at the linked lenses- yeah what do these have to do with the long-rumored and awaited FF NEX?
These are very obviously crop-only lenses.... i mean, i'm eager for a FF NEX as much as the next guy, but....

re: starter FF DSLR market.... naw, i doubt it. This will be another premium product, but still GROSSLY undercut the ONLY other FF mirrorless- the Leica. Even at $3500, it'll probably be a deal, for what it brings to the market.

Jan 24, 2013 at 07:11 PM
       2       3       end

FM Forums | Leica & Alternative Gear | Join Upload & Sell

2       3       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.