Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2013 · Built in Interval function

MikeW
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Built in Interval function

I only came across this the other day as I was planning on purchasing a new remote for star trails etc.

Does anyone use this function? I tried it & it appeared to work alright so what are the negatives to using this over a remote that you can setup interval shooting with? While I'd rather save the money if there is obvious problems I'd rather get a remote.

Camera is a D4.

Thanks,

Mike

Jan 24, 2013 at 05:42 PM
binary visions
• • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Built in Interval function

I've used my intervalometer a lot. Works great.

About the only thing that my buddy's expensive intervalometer remote has over my built-in setup is a detailed LCD display with # of shots taken, # remaining, countdown to next shot, etc.

Jan 24, 2013 at 06:04 PM
lxdesign
• • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Built in Interval function

Same here - I've used it a number of times in my various bodies over the years..... works well. The remote is nice however, but not totally necessary.

Jan 24, 2013 at 06:48 PM
Adam Bavier
• •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Built in Interval function

Maximum of a 30 second shutter exposure with the built in intervalometer because it uses your current settings on M,A,S,P and 30 seconds is the maximum shutter duration you can pick on any of those without an external remote.

The remote would let you dial in a 5 minute exposure every 5 minutes for instance.

Jan 24, 2013 at 07:04 PM
NathanHamler
• • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Built in Interval function

I've used the intervalometer more than a few times for start trails....only problem is, on the D300 and D7000, there seems to be a glitch, where if you're doing long exposures, like 30 sec each, and you tell it 1 sec in between frames, for like 60 frames....well it'll end up stopping after a couple shots....it's really weird...so what i do whenever i use that function, is i tell it to do 999 frames, and then i just stop it manually after i think i got enough.....first time it happened i kept setting it, and it would stop, and i'd set it again, and it would stop....so i googled it later and sure enough other people had the same problem...the camera seems to factor in the shutter speed, and thinks that you should wait at least 30 sec between shots if you're using a 30 sec shutter speed.....which isn't good for start trails at all.........not sure if it carried over to the D4, or other recent bodies....

Jan 24, 2013 at 07:06 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

binary visions
• • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Built in Interval function

Nathan, it's not that you have to wait 30 seconds between shots, it's that the function of the camera is: 1 shot every <xx> seconds.

If you tell it 1 shot every 1 second, with a 30 second exposure, that doesn't work.

What you need to do is tell it 1 shot every 31 seconds, with a 30 second exposure. I've done this multiple times with no issues.

Jan 24, 2013 at 07:58 PM
MikeW
• • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Built in Interval function

Cool, thanks, I will hopefully get a clear sky in the next few weeks before I head off to try it out to ensure I am satisfied

Jan 24, 2013 at 09:19 PM
runamuck
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Built in Interval function

My non-Nikon remote has a capacity of 9,999 shots. I think the Nikon built in is limited to 99. While it seems counter intuitive, the interval must be longer than the shutter speed. That took me a bit of reading to figure out.

Jan 25, 2013 at 12:01 AM
binary visions
• • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Built in Interval function

It's definitely more than 99... I did a couple multi day time lapses with several hundred shots.

Jan 25, 2013 at 12:13 AM
NathanHamler
• • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Built in Interval function

binary visions wrote:
It's definitely more than 99... I did a couple multi day time lapses with several hundred shots.

Yeah it's 999.....i'll try out what you were saying about 1 sec vs. 31 sec....that may cure my issues!!

Jan 25, 2013 at 04:04 AM

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Reset password