New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2013 · Lets talk hand straps.

Beni
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Lets talk hand straps.

Hi,

Lots of strap and sling talk but not very much about hand straps. Thinking of one for my 5D3, specifically as it is going to live in my day bag, take out, shoot, put back, repeat. A strap becomes a pain in the neck for this kind of shooting. What are the handstraps that are recommended, people like, etc?

Thanks!

Jan 24, 2013 at 12:21 PM
Prevelige
• • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Lets talk hand straps.

I have a Camdapter strap and I love it. It's comfortable, unobtrusive, and feels very secure in my hand...and they're only $27. I cannot say enough about it.

Jan 24, 2013 at 12:32 PM
Smiert Spionam
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Lets talk hand straps.

I use the Camdapter, and love it on an SLR.

Jan 24, 2013 at 12:32 PM
Sarsfield
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Lets talk hand straps.

Another vote for Camdapter. I've had mine for about 5 years and it's just getting broken in. Moved it from my 5D to 5D II.

Jan 24, 2013 at 02:02 PM
Smiert Spionam
• • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Lets talk hand straps.

One tricky thing about the Camdapter: it's a pain in the neck to remove from the bottom plate/bracket, which can be an issue if you switch out between a flat Arca plate and an L-bracket version (I really don't like having an L-bracket on when shooting handheld if I can avoid it). You can mitigate this to some degree by having one Camdapter for the flat plate and one for the L, but the best option is to use a two-piece L-bracket like some of the recent ones from RRS. RRS doesn't make one for my D600, but I got one from Hejnar that works great. I just add the L piece when I need it.

It's a non-issue if you don't care about switching plates.

Jan 24, 2013 at 03:24 PM
iazybandit
• • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Lets talk hand straps.

Herringbone Heritage!

http://i1126.photobucket.com/albums/l617/1kindphotography/reviews/images/herringbone3.jpg
Picture shows strap on my old Nikon D7000 before I sold it

http://i49./9h0vmt.jpg
Bought a 5D3 and this is how it looks like. Sorry for bad angle. Image was used to take a picture of the M-Plate for a member on POTN

Jan 24, 2013 at 03:57 PM
Bifurcator
• • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Lets talk hand straps.

That looks nice! I've used similar designs and dug the fit and feel!

Boy, don't go for those triangular things tho - those suck!

Jan 24, 2013 at 04:17 PM
15Bit
• • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Lets talk hand straps.

Camdapter also. No complaints at all.

Jan 25, 2013 at 01:47 PM
Beni
• • • • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Lets talk hand straps.

I have an arca tripod mount with lugs on either side offset to allow attaching a strap. I can attach a regular strap to them with no problem at all. With that can I buy the camdapter strap alone or do I still need their (expensive) plates?

Jan 27, 2013 at 03:20 PM
Mike K
• • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Lets talk hand straps.

As long as your camera plate has a handstrap lug on the bottom right, and you wanted to attach a handstrap (any make) there, there is no need for additional plates. Do you have a picture of your camera plate showing the lug on the right side?

I have recently ordered a Herringbone for a 6D, have also used a camdapter for many years on a 5DII and a Canon E1 handstrap for a 1DmkII. I have a slight preference for the softer Canon handstrap. In the case of the 6D and 5DII the hand strap is connected to the lug on the bottom of the camera L plate whereas the 1DII has a built-in grip and handstrap lug.
Mike K

Jan 27, 2013 at 03:44 PM
mpmendenhall
• • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Lets talk hand straps.

I've had a Camdapter hand strap on my 5D (with L-plate) for several years now. It's solidly made and quite comfortable. My only complaint is that the leather part tends to slide itself down the nylon straps, needing re-adjustment into the correct position.

Jan 27, 2013 at 06:00 PM
Beni
• • • • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Lets talk hand straps.

It does. Tried it out with my Upstrap and Op-Tech straps, no problem at all. Ordered the camdapter last night! Thanks guys!

Jan 28, 2013 at 03:43 AM
MrEdinarea51

p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Lets talk hand straps.

Herringbone Heritage handgrip as well. I have a removable shoulder strap that also attaches to the bottom via the tripod screw hole if I'm going for a long hike or some such thing. That being said the handgrip stays all the time, you dont have to worry about it moving in a breeze for time exposures like a strap would.

Jan 30, 2013 at 03:09 PM

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.