Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3      
       5       6       7       end

Archive 2013 · the good old days

eosfun
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.4 #1 · the good old days

In the good old days we just had EOSfun, and these were the only wiseguys on board :

EOS D30 with 70-200/2.8L IS

And no one but he crying for more dynamic range

Jan 25, 2013 at 12:08 AM
Grantland
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.4 #2 · the good old days

eosfun wrote:
In the good old days we just had EOSfun, and these were the only wiseguys on board :

http://81.206.21.156/canonfotoclub/CRW_5624L.jpg

not shots mr. eosfun.

there wasn't much crying back in those days. i think most canon guys appreciate what we had verses complaining with what we did not.

Edited on Jan 25, 2013 at 12:26 AM · View previous versions

Jan 25, 2013 at 12:13 AM
Monito
• • • • •
p.4 #3 · the good old days

skibum5 wrote:
At last, Monito admits it!

I'm certain I never denied it (with regard to 5D2/3). I doubt you can find a quote in context where I denied it. I'm sure I emphasized that its impact is minimal, as this thread of old pictures shows that lesser equipment is not a barrier in capable hands.

Jan 25, 2013 at 12:20 AM
AmbientMike
• • •
p.4 #4 · the good old days

Great thread. My jpegs from my XT and kit lens look good today. Have an almost 40x60 in the other room shot with a macro lens +2x.

Jan 25, 2013 at 12:20 AM
Grantland
• • • •
p.4 #5 · the good old days

Monito wrote:
as this thread of old pictures shows that lesser equipment is not a barrier in capable hands.

i only wish i had better hands.

Jan 25, 2013 at 12:27 AM
AmbientMike
• • •
p.4 #6 · the good old days

How about the old flash cards? I had 2 512mb and it was amazing! If I shot JPEG I got 150 on each card ! Better than 24 or 36 on a roll.

Jan 25, 2013 at 12:33 AM
rprouty
• • • • •
p.4 #7 · the good old days

August 05, not sure what I was using then...What ever it was it looks like I focused on the pew in front of the little girl

Rod

Jan 25, 2013 at 12:33 AM
eosfun
• • • •
p.4 #8 · the good old days

One of the things I liked about the D30, being a real SLR, was the EOSfun of macro photography. The coolpix 990 I had until then was a nice camera, but going close didn't always give the result I expected. The 70-200 IS with a 500D close focus lens setup gave me wonderful results with the IS. Obviously a premium over my Pentax 645 and the 120mm macro, unlike the better resolution and tonality from a good drum scan. The hassle and cost of film and the better control over exposure, contrast and white balance from the D30 made me decide to buy a 1Ds and sell all the medium format film gear. I never looked back even though I was not completely happy with the colour rendering of the 1Ds and it's noise structure above ISO 320. Later the 1DmkII and 1DsmkII took away all my desire for film.

Jan 25, 2013 at 01:05 AM
beauport
• • • •
p.4 #9 · the good old days

The first vacation with a digital camera, using the 20D

Canon EOS 20D    17.0-40.0 mm lens    21mm    f/6.3    1/320s    100 ISO    0.0 EV  

Jan 25, 2013 at 01:55 AM
weezintrumpete
• • • •
p.4 #10 · the good old days

Not TOO old, but I started out with a Rebel XT...fantastic little camera!

Jan 25, 2013 at 02:48 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

Jon Buffington
• •
p.4 #11 · the good old days

My first image with a dslr was a loaner i was handed on a job, a canon 10d. My image was used as an album cover. I don't have the image but here is the album cover. This was right after the american idol and this was the winner that year's band I had an old ae-1 with me at the time and still have all the undeveloped rolls from that night in a drawer. I was blown away by the quality and ease of use. Shortly thereafter I acquired my own, a canon rebel xt followed a few months later by a 20d

Jan 25, 2013 at 03:31 AM
racoll
• • • •
p.4 #12 · the good old days

Here's one from the D60 back in '03, complete with my utter lack of skills in PP at the time in full display. I remember this camera cost almost twice the amount I paid for my 7D (about $3400 including the grip and another battery!) and at the time I was amazed by what I could do with it. Not too long after, I bought a 10D, which was even more amazing, and my GF took the D60. The 10D was one of my favorite dslr experiences, but a lot of fun was had with the D60. Remembering these cameras makes me love my 7D every time I pick it up!

Andy

Jan 25, 2013 at 03:47 AM
volyrat
• •
p.4 #13 · the good old days

The Rebel XT was my first DSLR. A lot of things have changed since I got that camera. Kids are much bigger, a couple of cars, a couple of jobs, but I've still got the pictures and the memories...

mothers day 2005 119 by bobteixeira, on Flickr

Jan 25, 2013 at 04:53 AM
stanj
• • • • •
p.4 #14 · the good old days

stanj wrote:
My biggest regret - not shooting raw.

ggreene wrote:
Yeah, me too. Shot for over a year in jpeg and didn't go RAW until I got my 1D2.

Ralph Conway wrote:
Here, too.
I was totally happy with JPEG. When a friend showed me what he does with RAWs in post, I had to force myself not to start to cry.

My issue wasn't so much that I didn't appreciate raw, the problem was more than there simply wasn't a raw converter in today's sense: There was no ACR, there was no C1, there was no DPP, there was no LR or Aperture. The only thing you got was Canon's software, which at that time was beyond pathetic. As a matter of fact, after having played with it, I could not figure out why I should bother with the incredible overhead (effort, not time).

The whole 8-month tenure of the D60 was about the same, and while I shot in raw sometimes "just for kicks", the sheer pain of getting even a straight JPG out of a raw was overwhelming. It wasn't until I got the 1Ds when it was introduced, that C1 came on the market, and things changed dramatically. I was a firm advocate of C1 until LR showed up, which had a better workflow.

Those were the days... and the D30 JPGs were amazing for their time, too.

Jan 25, 2013 at 05:39 AM
skibum5
• • • • • •
p.4 #15 · the good old days

stanj wrote:
My issue wasn't so much that I didn't appreciate raw, the problem was more than there simply wasn't a raw converter in today's sense: There was no ACR, there was no C1, there was no DPP, there was no LR or Aperture. The only thing you got was Canon's software, which at that time was beyond pathetic. As a matter of fact, after having played with it, I could not figure out why I should bother with the incredible overhead (effort, not time).

The whole 8-month tenure of the D60 was about the same, and while I shot in raw
...Show more

Interesting. Never realized that DPP and ACR came so much later. I guess it makes sense though in the early pioneering days of digital. I did shoot a lot of jpg at first, but it was only because I shot a lot of sports and the RAW buffer was horribly small in the 20D.

Jan 25, 2013 at 06:08 AM
Peter Figen
• • • •
p.4 #16 · the good old days

I seem to remember using CaptureOne at least ten years ago for Canon files and prior to that I used a very early Kodak raw converter for Kodak files from both their 35mm camera and one of their early MFDB's. Now that was funky-ass software. How things have improved. I also remember shooting with an early point and shoot that belonged to one of my clients and setting it to shoot tiffs in camera. Each shot would take a minute or so to write to a 512 MB card, which I still have to this day - for nostalgia, nothing else.

Jan 25, 2013 at 06:13 AM
stanj
• • • • •
p.4 #17 · the good old days

Peter Figen wrote:
I seem to remember using CaptureOne at least ten years ago for Canon files and prior to that I used a very early Kodak raw converter for Kodak files from both their 35mm camera and one of their early MFDB's. Now that was funky-ass software. How things have improved. I also remember shooting with an early point and shoot that belonged to one of my clients and setting it to shoot tiffs in camera. Each shot would take a minute or so to write to a 512 MB card, which I still have to this day - for nostalgia,
...Show more

"At least ten years ago" may be a stretch. C1 was introduced as the de-facto standard converter for the 1Ds (Canon staying shy of actually including it, you had to fork out $500), at the time of the introduction of the 1Ds in November 2002. So yes it just barely made it, to be 10 years old, but just I got it on 4/11/03, a day I vividly remember

Jan 25, 2013 at 06:31 AM
Peter Figen
• • • •
p.4 #18 · the good old days

See, it was "at least ten years ago" No stretch there at all. And the price was and is a bargain.

Jan 25, 2013 at 06:37 AM
eosfun
• • • •
p.4 #19 · the good old days

The first 1D and D30 cameras came without any RAW converter software. The whole idea behind it actually was that camera manufacturers like Canon wanted to encourage a third party market for their cameras. Canon did not seem to be interested in the whole software thing at all. I am sure this is one of the reasons why the first releases of their software were just so so products. They saw the market didn't pick up the whole idea of the opportunity of third party software and decided to at least provide some elementary software tools. It was people like Fred and some other people who developed their own tools. Some of the tools were independent executables, but most of them as Photoshop actions. Actions were at the time a new feature in Photoshop.

Capture one was already available in 2001 I am quite sure. If you go back in our archives which go back to january 2002 you'll see that the software is already mentioned as a converter for the D60. I had the D30, the predecessor of the D60 and seem to recall that Capture One was already available for that camera, though not from the start of introduction of the D30. I can't exactly when the first release with a converter for the D30 came out. I just know for sure that in the beginning we had either shoot in JPG or find our own way to develop a way to convert from RAW. As a convinced RAW shooter and patient enough I have been shooting a few weeks without being able to view many of my own pictures. That seems strange now, but photographers were used to shoot like that with film. There were sometimes weeks between taking a picture on my Linhof Technika Master and developing the sheets in the dark room. So why compromise on quality of the new digital D30 files and not just wait for the right RAW converter on the way. The good old days were crazy times in the eyes of some people now I guess.

Indeed like Peter Figen states the 1Ds that brought a breakthrough, when Capture One developed a new Pro release of their software in cooperation with Canon a great software converter. It was expensive, but a wonderful tool. Until today it's one of the best RAW converters. It took C1 some time to also support the "enthusiast" models like the D30, D60, Nikon's D100 with a LE version at a more competitive price. RAW shooter essentials (RSE) was another great RAW converter, rapidly growing because of a more competitive price. We got BreezeBrowser, Yarcplus, and some others, and then Adobe bought RSE and integrated RSE conversion algorithms within their first release of Lightroom. That set the market for RAW converters for the greatest part like it's still today. But really the first years of pioneering RAW photography most photographers were on their own. A lot of the knowledge you find now in our postprocessing and printing board was discussed in the Canon board and Nikon board itself.

The split to several different boards came later. EOSfun was at the time also postprocessing and printing fun.

Jan 25, 2013 at 07:57 AM
Ralph Conway
• • • •
p.4 #20 · the good old days

When I bought my D60 in November 2002 C1 (LE ?) and PS (5.1?) was part of the kit.
C1 crashed down regulary, PS did many times when using the rubber tool. So after a few tests I did not see a need for using raw and develop the files. Instead I was very happy with the JPEGs. When my friend (and collegue) showed me, what to manage out of raws it was already 2006. Memory cards jumped from 1GB to 4 (less expensive than 1GB four yeras ago) and 8GB. So the need for memory was no hint to use raw any longer, too. And I started to shoot both parralel. I tried some free downloadable raw converters and tested them, but the first I was happy with was LR. I use it till today.

Jan 25, 2013 at 08:19 AM
1       2       3      

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3      

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password