Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | People Photography | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2013 · Night Club

danlona
• •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Night Club

Traveling with the band One-A-Chord at a night club shoot; not use to night club photography, I had a hard time with the ever changing lights, shot this with my 70-200 open wide.

Danny

Jan 23, 2013 at 07:49 PM
Steve Wylie
• • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Night Club

If this is your first foray into shooting live performances, you've done well. Your exposures are good, so don't worry about ever-changing lighting. Just be mindful of changes to overall light levels. So now what you have to concentrate on are the "moments" and the details. Your first shot is just such a moment, but I'd crop out the arm on the left edge of the frame. Your second shot is a good detail shot. If you're traveling with the band, you'll be able to anticipate these moments and opportunities for details; it'll become easier and easier.

The third and fourth shots, however, don't quite measure up to the first two. The congas are "unmanned" but the frame isn't tight enough to be a detail shot; the drummer is looking away doing not much of interest; and the bass player is just a sliver in the frame. Likewise, in the fourth shot, the guitarist is well lit and the composition could be interesting, but he's not really showing us anything. It's a high note he's hitting, but there's no energy to his stance or his expression. Some guys just don't emote much on stage (think Charlie Watts of the Rolling Stones). But if you focus on their faces, very tightly, you'll always be able to catch a "moment", even if it's only fleeting.

Keep at it!

Jan 23, 2013 at 08:43 PM
Steady Hand
• • • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Night Club

Steve Wylie wrote:
If this is your first foray into shooting live performances, you've done well. Your exposures are good, so don't worry about ever-changing lighting. Just be mindful of changes to overall light levels. So now what you have to concentrate on are the "moments" and the details. Your first shot is just such a moment, but I'd crop out the arm on the left edge of the frame. Your second shot is a good detail shot. If you're traveling with the band, you'll be able to anticipate these moments and opportunities for details; it'll become easier and easier.

The third and
...Show more

Nice comments/critique/advice.

+1

Jan 24, 2013 at 12:37 AM
danlona
• •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Night Club

Hey Thank Steve, I appreciate the comment and critique that helps alot, for the next photo shoot live performance, I will definitely keep those point before push the shutter. This is defintely a whole new territory in shooting live performances and certaintly I miss alot of good capture cause the action is fast, thanks

Danny

Jan 24, 2013 at 01:04 AM
Steve Wylie
• • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Night Club

You're welcome. The more you become familiar with the music, the better your captures will be, and the higher your keeper rate will be.

You're off to a good start.

Jan 24, 2013 at 01:36 AM

FM Forums | People Photography | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Reset password