Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Lighting & Studio Techniques | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2013 · Got an event with a large group shot coming up. Check my ...

ChiShutter
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · Got an event with a large group shot coming up. Check my work.

This is a little outside my day-to-day experience. I'm covering a party and will mostly be shooting candids, and im comfortable with lighting those, but will have a couple of group shots to deal with -- one big, one small. My understanding is this will be outdoors, but I'm still getting detail from the client.

I'll be armed with a pair of B800s, a speedlight, triggers, battery pack, stands. Modifiers are a 64" PLM, which I'm confident can light the 10-person group comfortably, and a beauty dish, which I think will be out of its element.

If I pull the trigger now, I can have a 2nd PLM in time for the event.

So, the large group. 40 people. My thought process is to use both AB800s and two PLMs (or a PLM and the beauty dish? Is that insane?) to light the group from in front, and the speedlight as a kicker behind the back row. I plan to be up on a stepladder.

What am I not thinking through? Where can I simplify? Do you foresee any snags I'm blundering into? Your wisdom is greatly appreciated.

Jan 23, 2013 at 06:23 AM
alohadave
• • •
p.1 #2 · Got an event with a large group shot coming up. Check my work.

Don't bother with the PLM for a large group shot. Cross light them in front, with the speed light in back as a kicker. You'll want plenty of room in front to even out the flash exposure on everyone.

Jan 23, 2013 at 12:52 PM
ravisrajan
• •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #3 · Got an event with a large group shot coming up. Check my work.

I am sure your two PLM setup would be adequate for large groups, or use your beauty dish as on axis fill and one PLM as key light.
For your reference here is the link, where three PLM and b1600 is used to shoot for a very larger group in open filed by Rob Galbraith.
Here is complete link to his setup, hope this helps.
http://www.robgalbraith.com/bins/multi_page.asp?cid=7-10046-10396

Jan 23, 2013 at 03:48 PM
cgardner
• • • • •
p.1 #4 · Got an event with a large group shot coming up. Check my work.

ChiShutter wrote:
So, the large group. 40 people. My thought process is to use both AB800s and two PLMs (or a PLM and the beauty dish? Is that insane?) to light the group from in front, and the speedlight as a kicker behind the back row. I plan to be up on a stepladder.

The basic strategy is sound. Stand on ladder with camera 8-10 feet off the ground and have the people look up. The higher you can get the more the photo becomes a sea of faces vs. the bodies in the front row with lots of other heads above. Position the frontal light centered so when they look up it hits them at a downward overhead angle relative to the upturned faces. You'll need 12' stands to do that.

Indoors where there's a balcony and ceiling overhead I get up on the balcony with group below and bounce the flash up off the ceiling down into their upturned smiling faces. Much simpler logistically.

In terms of logistics outdoors one light in front is simpler than two front and back and the dish will be easier to wrangle in the wind. Best to be prepared and bring all the gear (and well practiced shooting strategies) then decide on what works best at the location / time of day / background.

Edited on Jan 23, 2013 at 09:19 PM · View previous versions

Jan 23, 2013 at 06:58 PM
ChiShutter
• • •
p.1 #5 · Got an event with a large group shot coming up. Check my work.

Thanks for your insight, everyone. It is very much appreciated.

Jan 23, 2013 at 09:11 PM

FM Forums | Lighting & Studio Techniques | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password