Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

My posts · My subscriptions

Previous versions of cgardner's message #11293457 « Got an event with a large group shot coming up. Check my work. »

cgardner
Upload & Sell: Off
Re: Got an event with a large group shot coming up. Check my work.

ChiShutter wrote:
So, the large group. 40 people. My thought process is to use both AB800s and two PLMs (or a PLM and the beauty dish? Is that insane?) to light the group from in front, and the speedlight as a kicker behind the back row. I plan to be up on a stepladder.

The basic strategy is sound. Stand on ladder with camera 8-10 feet off the ground and have the people look up. The higher you can get the more the photo becomes a sea of faces vs. the bodies in the front row with lots of other heads above. Position the frontal light centered so when they look up it hits them at a downward overhead angle relative to the upturned faces. You'll need 12' stands to do that.

Indoors were there's a balcony and ceiling overhead I get up on the balcony with group below and bounce the flash up off the ceiling down into their upturned smiling faces. Much simpler logistically.

In terms of logistics outdoors one light in front is simpler than two front and back and the dish will be easier to wrangle in the wind. Best to be prepared and bring all the gear (and well practiced shooting strategies) then decide on what works best at the location / time of day / background.

Jan 23, 2013 at 06:58 PM

Previous versions of cgardner's message #11293457 « Got an event with a large group shot coming up. Check my work. »