Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site

FM Forums | People Photography | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2013 · Sax Portrait

Steve Wylie
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · Sax Portrait

I have a unique opportunity to photograph an ongoing series of live radio and TV broadcasts of a local radio show featuring jazz musicians. The format is a standard talk show set with desk and chairs, and a portion of the small stage is available for the musician to perform. These are often big name jazz artists, so it's a pretty amazing opportunity to get this kind of access. The set is lit for television, so it's broad, but essentially flat, and the good shooting angles are (as you might guess) occupied by TV crews. I've shot at this location a dozen or so times, and my shots have begun to take on a consistent (read: repetitive) look.

So I've begun to look for different ways of finding, seeing, and conveying these artists. Getting low and shooting into the wings. Looking for the artist's expression and feeling, not just the most exciting moment (though that's also good). Different processing to bring out a mood, whether energetic or introspective.

Here's a recent sample. This is Eric Darius. He filled in for another artist at the last minute, who came down with the flu and couldn't perform. Eric blew the roof off the place. The crowd went nuts. But this treatment shows another, more inwardly-focused aspect. I'd like to know what you think.

Jan 22, 2013 at 09:07 PM
friscoron
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · Sax Portrait

Hey Steve, this is where you take things to a different level. Instead of sitting back and doing what's safe, shooting the same ol same ol, you're looking for new angles and finding ways to express the emotion. I have no clue what you've done with this processing but it's got a very very cool vibe to it. I just love how you used the light here. Great job! Game-winner all the way!

Jan 22, 2013 at 09:28 PM
douter
• • • • • •
p.1 #3 · Sax Portrait

Love the lighting on this!
Douglas

Jan 22, 2013 at 10:35 PM
Bill Gass
• • • •
p.1 #4 · Sax Portrait

Love it !

Jan 22, 2013 at 10:35 PM
Ronny Mills
• • •
p.1 #5 · Sax Portrait

Beautiful

Jan 22, 2013 at 10:44 PM
trenchmonkey
• • • • • • •
p.1 #6 · Sax Portrait

Damn good capture, Steve

Jan 22, 2013 at 11:01 PM
GC5
• • • •
p.1 #7 · Sax Portrait

I love everything about this image but the spot that almost looks like a sixth finger. What is that?

Jan 22, 2013 at 11:11 PM

Steve Wylie
• • •
p.1 #8 · Sax Portrait

I love everything about this image but the spot that almost looks like a sixth finger. What is that?

Wow, good catch! I didn't see that until you pointed it out. Behind Eric is a grand piano with the top raised up. The spot you see is actually a reflection on the leading edge of the piano top. There's quite a bit of visual clutter back there in the original. This little reflection is one I missed. Thanks for pointing it out.

Steve

Jan 22, 2013 at 11:28 PM
poshyp
• •
p.1 #9 · Sax Portrait

Nice

Jan 23, 2013 at 01:42 AM
bbourizk
• • •
p.1 #10 · Sax Portrait

Very nice mate.

Jan 23, 2013 at 04:37 AM
sculpin
• •
p.1 #11 · Sax Portrait

Great image. You certainly captured the mood in this one. Looks like he is in the zone. Good job!

Jan 23, 2013 at 07:20 PM
Steve Wylie
• • •
p.1 #12 · Sax Portrait

Looks like he is in the zone.

Exactly. For the last two or three of these performances, I've been looking carefully for moments where the artist is oblivious to the audience, and is totally absorbed in the music. You have to be mindful of when these moments are likely to occur, and be ready for them. I literally stumbled on this idea a few months back, when shooting another performer. I shot a burst of the last notes of a song, and the last frame was just such a moment. It was the best of that particular series of shots. Since then, I've found them much more frequently, not just in the final notes of a song.

Jan 23, 2013 at 07:30 PM
scottam10
• • •
p.1 #13 · Sax Portrait

It's always hard to take good photos of wind players because the instrument blocks their face most of the time.

Everything came together for this shot - you caught a great moment, with perfect lighting. Well done.

Jan 23, 2013 at 09:39 PM
SAllem
• •
p.1 #14 · Sax Portrait

This is wall worthy...very nice...

Jan 24, 2013 at 02:35 AM

FM Forums | People Photography | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password