Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2013 · Dust Donut

Glenn Kendall
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Dust Donut

Anyone using this? Evaluation?

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/77243737/dust-donuttm-add-a-weather-seal-to-the-mount-of-an?ref=live

BTW, NFI.

Jan 22, 2013 at 03:58 PM
trenchmonkey
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Dust Donut

For years I've used the Lenscoat TC covers (Nikon black set of 3) and they've done the job
shootin' dusty rodeo arenas. Most will never see conditions like that in normal shooting.
Not a bad idea...just a little late for me.

Jan 22, 2013 at 04:04 PM
abqnmusa
• • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Dust Donut

I do not think dust is sneaking past the seal between camera body & lens
the dust is from removing the lens to change to another lens
the dust seal does nothing to help out there

Jan 22, 2013 at 06:01 PM
diverhank
• •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Dust Donut

abqnmusa wrote:
I do not think dust is sneaking past the seal between camera body & lens
the dust is from removing the lens to change to another lens
the dust seal does nothing to help out there

Actually in windy conditions, dust can get through the seal. When I was still using the 28-135mm lens with a 50D, that happened a lot. Luckily the dust tend to stay on the mirror but not on the sensor itself.

Jan 22, 2013 at 06:32 PM
StillFingerz
• • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Dust Donut

Got in before the pledged amount went over their asking, still waiting for one. It will be tested on my 10-22 mostly for weather; dew, damp air, issues when shooting at or around marinas, the beach and/or wetlands areas. I'll report back how it fit's, works, once received n shot with.

Jerry

Jan 22, 2013 at 08:36 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

John Caldwell
• • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Dust Donut

A solution in search of a problem that it actually addresses, while not addressing the real problem cited by abqnmusa.

Jan 22, 2013 at 08:57 PM
Glenn Kendall
• •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Dust Donut

Thanks for the feedback folks.
@trenchmonkey: If I understand the concept of the donut, it fits btw the lens and the body. I was under the impression that Lenscoat covers wrap around the barrel. No?
@abqnmusa: I grant your point re the vulnerability when changing lenses. Absent controlled tests, we can't be sure whether this donut thing actually adds some measure of protection. And it would do nothing to address the dust sucking of a push/pull lens like the 100-400. Neverthless, I'm sufficiently paranoid about dust that I'll probably spring for it.
@diverhank: Thanks for that insight. Have been in really dusty conditions in East Africa and went through a lot of gyrations to keep the dust at bay.
@StillFingerz: Looking forward to your field report.
@John Caldwell: You may be right John; there's so much of that these days (ASISOAP, that is). Still, I wonder if the donut might give some added, albeit marginal protection. I guess I'm cheap enough to post the question and paranoid enough about dust to buy something that may be useless.

Again, thanks all for your f/b.

Jan 23, 2013 at 11:41 AM
trenchmonkey
• • • • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Dust Donut

Glenn: I use lenscoats for TC's to cover the base of the lens as well as stretch over the mount,
and pretty much laugh off dust/rain/snow. Not their intended purpose, but 'monkeys are clever.

Jan 23, 2013 at 11:58 AM
pingflood
• • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Dust Donut

Glenn Kendall wrote:
And it would do nothing to address the dust sucking of a push/pull lens like the 100-400

Is it not conceivable that some of the air the 100-400 sucks in comes from the mount, and if you seal that off it might create more negative pressure within the camera body leading to more dust getting in there? Just a thought.

Jan 23, 2013 at 12:34 PM
Glenn Kendall
• •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Dust Donut

trenchmonkey: Clever indeed.

pingflood: An interesting thought. I'd guess that, using the donut, there'd be more negative pressure at the space btw the two barrels on the push stroke and more postive pressure (meaning outward) on the pull stroke. But then I don't do science stuff.

Jan 23, 2013 at 01:17 PM

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password