Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Pro Digital Corner | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2013 · Making progress in learning the LR4 sliders, but could us...

lsquare
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Making progress in learning the LR4 sliders, but could use more advice

I must have studied Kelby and Evening's LR4 books pretty intensively over the past month. I think I learned a lot, but I'm not sure if what I'm doing is necessarily making my images look realistic or getting an accurate exposure. I think what I've learned is that I prefer a brighter image as I intend to try to move the histogram more to the right by moving the white slider to the right.

I think one of my biggest issue is getting the exposure just right. Sometime I can't quite tell whether to boost the exposure by 1/4 or 1/3 of a stop. I use CTRL+Z a lot to move back and forth between the values and the image seemed about right and I guess it could go either way. I know going more or less than the values that I've specified (1/5 or 1/2 a stop more or less) will give an undesirable result assuming the image just need at least a boost of 1/4 or 1/3 of a stop. What sort of rule or sign I should look for to determine which value to get me the "right" exposure?

The same goes with the shadow slider. Sometime a +50 seem to give a decent result, but a +75 may look more pleasant to my eyes just because it reveals more details in the shadows. Yet, it can also give it an artificial look (not quite sure if I'm describing things properly here).

I created a thread here about the white and black sliders. I get the impression that it's a bit like the white balance and that there's no hard rule. Even if neither the whites or blacks are clipped (the clipping warning is still black for both sliders), Sometimes a +40 on the whites look nice, but at the same time a +35 may look slightly better. Any tips on getting me to nail down the "correct" value?

I know some of you guys are thinking that I'm looking for some scientific response and I guess that's how I think. I understand that there is not necessarily a right number and this is where I'm suppose to use the more artistic side of my brain...

Jan 22, 2013 at 12:17 PM
Monkey Falls
• •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Making progress in learning the LR4 sliders, but could use more advice

Your last sentence sums it up. There is no "right" answer. It is a creative process. What looks best to you is what matters. It doesn't matter how you get there. Adjust the sliders until you get the desired result, then move on to the next picture.

Jan 22, 2013 at 03:45 PM
3iron
• •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Making progress in learning the LR4 sliders, but could use more advice

Here is what my plan is. I too have been studying LR4 and usng it to improve my photos. It's really a neat program.
The next problem is developing an eye for the right exposure. That is a real challange but there is hope. By sharing your photos here and asking opinions I can get some real valuable feedback and suggestins. They offer really valuable advice and share their expertise,
With that help, I can llearn to see what they see and then adjust my photos not necessarly to what they see, but to what you want them to see.
It's trial and error, but there is a lot of great help here.
Bst wishes.

Jan 24, 2013 at 10:03 PM

FM Forums | Pro Digital Corner | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Reset password