FM Forum Rules
Wedding Resource List

FM Forums | Wedding Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2013 · Website Q: Mobile device compatibility

Ghost
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Website Q: Mobile device compatibility

Hi, an unscheduled event has forced me to rebuild my website. I like to know some of your thoughts on mobile device friendly when came time for you to build your site.
Do you have a different m.website.com version?
If yours is a one size fits all, how far would you go to make it look good on say a 4" iphone 5?

Jan 21, 2013 at 09:28 PM
ryanp
• •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Website Q: Mobile device compatibility

I work as a software developer and have worked on web sites and I am currently working on mobile web sites/apps. My recommendation is to look at "responsive web design". This a design methodology using primarily CSS stylesheets that will allow the site to respond to different browsers, whether it is a mobile phone, tablet or desktop. With more tablets coming out and phones coming in different sizes, the responsive web design allows you to adapt your site easier as technology changes. Having a separate m.website.com means you have to maintain multiple sites.

Here is a link to a good web site about responsive design: http://responsivedesign.ca/

There are different templates available for responsive design.

Thanks!
Ryan

Jan 21, 2013 at 09:43 PM
D. Diggler
• • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Website Q: Mobile device compatibility

ryanp wrote:
Having a separate m.website.com means you have to maintain multiple sites.

So with this responsive website design you are saying we must maintain a separate website for each device? Not sure what you mean by "m.website.com".

Jan 21, 2013 at 11:13 PM
whtrbt7
• •
[X]
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Website Q: Mobile device compatibility

I use a single unified website like Apple. It looks the same no matter what mobile device it's on. The advantage of that is that it's easy to navigate through since the look is the same every time. I originally had a separately maintained "mobile friendly" site that wasn't too mobile friendly which was why I canned it because it was a pain to navigate. If users want to subscribe to rss, you just put in the website addy and bam! instant rss feed syndication. The main point is to keep the experience the same whether you are on a full computer, a tablet, or a phone.

Jan 21, 2013 at 11:24 PM
Ghost
• • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Website Q: Mobile device compatibility

ryanp wrote:
I work as a software developer and have worked on web sites and I am currently working on mobile web sites/apps. My recommendation is to look at "responsive web design". This a design methodology using primarily CSS stylesheets that will allow the site to respond to different browsers, whether it is a mobile phone, tablet or desktop. With more tablets coming out and phones coming in different sizes, the responsive web design allows you to adapt your site easier as technology changes. Having a separate m.website.com means you have to maintain multiple sites.

Here is a link to a good web
...Show more

Hi Ryan, the new site that I am rebuilding is based on a responsive WP template. While it does respond to various resolution and devices, somehow it is unable to scale to small phones. Maybe it's my images? Shouldn't it resize the images too?

Jan 22, 2013 at 10:58 AM
tjsix
• •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Website Q: Mobile device compatibility

Ghost wrote:
Hi Ryan, the new site that I am rebuilding is based on a responsive WP template. While it does respond to various resolution and devices, somehow it is unable to scale to small phones. Maybe it's my images? Shouldn't it resize the images too?

Looking at the source code, it's not your images that aren't scaling, it's that whoever coded the site left out quite a few rules that would scale images in various locations throughout the theme. That and they use javascript to arrange/size certain elements, and don't have anything in the code to resize/account for different screen sizes unfortunately.

Jan 22, 2013 at 05:22 PM
D. Diggler
• • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Website Q: Mobile device compatibility

whtrbt7 wrote:
I use a single unified website like Apple. It looks the same no matter what mobile device it's on.

So would that be considered a "responsive design" website?

Jan 22, 2013 at 05:47 PM
sboerup
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Website Q: Mobile device compatibility

D. Diggler wrote:
So would that be considered a "responsive design" website?

Responsive designs change their width, and scale the CSS depending on the device browser size. Like mine:
www.spencerboerup.com

Jan 22, 2013 at 09:35 PM
whtrbt7
• •
[X]
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Website Q: Mobile device compatibility

The point of my site is to not "dumb" down content for the device. You get the same experience every time. It's considered standardized instead of responsive. That said, there are active pieces of the website that allow users with larger screens have more space on the sides as well as have access to higher resolution content. It depends on what you want your users to see when they go to your site. I originally had custom CSS built for mobile devices but decided that it was too difficult for users to accept. There are some responsive designs that are good but most times I see a "dumbed" down website, I don't normally stay on it.

That said, Sboerup's website is done pretty well and it works decently.

Jan 22, 2013 at 09:45 PM

FM Forums | Wedding Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.