Username  

FM Forum Rules
Macro World Resource

FM Forums | Macro & Still Life | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2013 · Cheap extension tubes

Shackleton

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Cheap extension tubes

I'm in the process of getting the lenses and accessories I want(bought a 20D and Sigma 50-500MM for eagle pics) and have decided I want smaller lenses and extension tubes too. Since there is no glass to worry about, are the cheap tubes I'm seeing on ebay worth the trouble? Kenko sets are listed close to $200 from US sellers, but I see a lot of off brand tubes for $60-$70-and of course the manual sets for as little as $7. One set I was looking at in particular is made by Opetka-I know they're,...not well regarded for lenses but at $70 with metal attachment points are they worth a try, or are they known garbage?
Thanks

Jan 21, 2013 at 07:08 PM
scottam10
• • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Cheap extension tubes

Funny, I think of Kenko as 'off-brand'. I've seen Kenko sets for $135, which is a lot cheaper than Canon.

There are no optics in a tube of course (just air), so the image quality shouldn't be any different, unless the connection is 'wobbly' and it won't keep the lens aligned properly with the sensor

The main difference is in
1. build quality
2. electronic connections

For Canon I think the electronic connections are essential; without them you can't control the aperture and you'll always be shooting wide open (well, I guess you can hold the DOF preview button before ripping the lens off the camera, but it's a lot of jacking around and it's hard to see/focus through a stopped down lens)

Jan 21, 2013 at 07:22 PM
scottam10
• • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Cheap extension tubes

It's also worth checking if the tubes you're looking at are compatible with EF-S lenses. Some of them aren't (I have an older Kenko set which doesn't mount EF-S lenses, I think the newer Kenkos are compatible with EF-S)

Jan 21, 2013 at 07:25 PM
Shackleton

p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Cheap extension tubes

scottam10 wrote:
Funny, I think of Kenko as 'off-brand'. I've seen Kenko sets for $135, which is a lot cheaper than Canon.
)

Yeah, I suppose off brand was a poor choice of words-the reason I didn't include Kenko in that category is that they're pretty much known to be good, while I can't seem to find anything on the cheap ones. The suggestion to make sure the Kenkos will work with EF-S lenses is a good one though, didn't even consider that.

Jan 21, 2013 at 07:35 PM
LordV
• • • • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Cheap extension tubes

Heard some people have had success with polaroid ones eg http://www.amazon.com/Polaroid-Focus-Extension-Digital-Cameras/dp/B004VNBAT2/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1358837274&sr=8-2&keywords=polaroid+extension+tubes

Brian v.

Jan 22, 2013 at 01:49 AM
andabata
• • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Cheap extension tubes

I can only attest that the really cheap plastic ones with contacts aren't worth buying. I got a set of them but when i stack them my camera gives an error.
Kees

Jan 22, 2013 at 04:55 AM
denis55
• • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Cheap extension tubes

i got the newer kenko DG set,free shipping to my door,for 100 bucks,and no duty.

Jan 22, 2013 at 10:00 AM
ZoneV
• • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Cheap extension tubes

I use a lot of extension tubes - even made a 8mm thin Canon extension tube, and currently working on a even thinner EF extension tube with only 6mm and full Canon EF contacs for AF and iris. For this DIY work I use such manual tubes as raw stuff.

These manual tubes would be ok for manual lenses. But the springs that press the lens to the camera are too weak! This can result in wobbeling lens. The lens can even be released from the tube without using the release crank. I think this will in not happen normal use - but I donīt like that.
Because of this I modify these springs with a piece of a bicycles inner tube under the spring:

http://www.4photos.de/camera-diy/Optimierung-Zwischenring-Bajonett-.jpg

But still these tubes are far away from "good" - and even worse for AF lenses with EF automated iris. You will loose all this.

I like the Kenko tubes I own, but I suppose the Polaroid and Opteka tubes are good as well. Are the tubes made form metal, or is the outer housing plastic? I would not trust plastic to use it with heavier lenses for years.

Jan 23, 2013 at 05:49 AM
Wenchiarts

p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Cheap extension tubes

Skip Vivitar.
I had a set of (pre-DG) Kenko that I loved! (but got stolen)
Tried the Vivitar, not great. Better than nothing, I guess, but nothing compared to Kenko. And they do communicate, so better than tubes with no contacts.
And I never felt or saw any practical difference between the Kenko and Canon.
Justin

Jan 25, 2013 at 11:48 AM

FM Forums | Macro & Still Life | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.