New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2013 · Canon 5D Mirror Fell off - repair Help

RedOak

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Canon 5D Mirror Fell off - repair Help

Greets everyone,

I am just back from my latest vacation and while snapping at my favorite sunset, the reflex's mirror fell off... (yay).

i guess i missed the recall order for this specific thing, but no matter.

After checking online for repair, i filled out the online repair form from Canon's website (can) and they are charging me 300$ for the repair.

Isn't this a bit steep?

Considering that i had originally planned to change camera and potentially sell my 5D used, is this repair even advisable, or should i simply "move on"?

Thanks for the help guys, greatly appreciated.

Jan 21, 2013 at 06:25 PM
WilliamFinley
• • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Canon 5D Mirror Fell off - repair Help

The mirror fix is free. Call back and ask why they are charging you for a repair that is done free of charge.

Bill

Jan 21, 2013 at 06:41 PM
Gochugogi
• • • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Canon 5D Mirror Fell off - repair Help

The recall is supposed to be still in effect, at least in the USA. Not sure about Canada but it's worth asking them what's up...

If Canon Canada doesn't cover it, you might consider glueing it back on yourself as $300 is a lot for a camera which often sells for $500. Just don't do glue it on upside-down.

Jan 21, 2013 at 06:51 PM
mitesh
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Canon 5D Mirror Fell off - repair Help

WilliamFinley wrote:
The mirror fix is free. Call back and ask why they are charging you for a repair that is done free of charge.

Bill

I agree with Bill. From your post, it seems like you contacted Canon online. If you call and speak to someone, you can ask them to do the work under the recall notice at no charge to you.

Jan 21, 2013 at 06:59 PM
twistedlim
• • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Canon 5D Mirror Fell off - repair Help

Click on the link below and give them a call.

http://www.usa.canon.com/cusa/support/consumer?pageKeyCode=prdAdvDetail&docId=0901e0248004cd94

Jan 22, 2013 at 03:03 PM
Monito
• • • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Canon 5D Mirror Fell off - repair Help

I had my 5D classic mirror fixed by Canon Canada for free after it fell off last year.

Jan 22, 2013 at 03:51 PM
RedOak

p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Canon 5D Mirror Fell off - repair Help

Thanks for the help guys,

Giving Canon a call tomorow.

Jan 22, 2013 at 05:22 PM
Brit-007
• • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Canon 5D Mirror Fell off - repair Help

When I sent my 5D in for Service and asked them about the mirror, they said they would not do it unless there was a problem and then it would be free.

Jan 22, 2013 at 07:00 PM
ross attix
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Canon 5D Mirror Fell off - repair Help

I just had mine done about 6 mos. ago and it was no charge. It was not having a problem but I decided to get it anyway just in case. Canon was super nice about it and I had it back in about 10 days.

If you do send it in, and if you care, ask them for a shutter count. It should also be free.

Jan 22, 2013 at 07:27 PM
abraxsis

p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Canon 5D Mirror Fell off - repair Help

I had mine done just 2 weeks ago, it didn't cost anything. I was, however, lucky enough to be in SoCal visiting friends so I dropped it off at the Canon Factory Repair center in Irvine. The lady did an immediate shutter count on it and did tell me that after a certain number of shutter actuations they prefer to change the shutter box while it's opened up (its supposedly cheaper that way). However, my 5d only had 13k, so it was free, and they had shipped it back to my home in KY before I got on the plane a day later.

Jan 24, 2013 at 02:06 PM
Wahoowa
• • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Canon 5D Mirror Fell off - repair Help

I remember that, when I had mine done, I called them to request for repair for this particular recall. Not only was it free of charge, they sent me a shipping label. And at the same time, they cleaned the sensor and everything.

Jan 24, 2013 at 02:20 PM
Bigcarbs

p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Canon 5D Mirror Fell off - repair Help

Called them last week and told them I needed it fixed so it doesn't fall off I have the field. The guy hesitated a bit but then asked for my address for the shipping label, sent it out on Tuesday, hope to get it back shortly

Jan 25, 2013 at 12:49 AM
bigbluebear
• • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Canon 5D Mirror Fell off - repair Help

Brit-007 wrote:
When I sent my 5D in for Service and asked them about the mirror, they said they would not do it unless there was a problem and then it would be free.

I sent mine in last month and they did it for me for free. My camera was suffering no problems but I plan on selling my 5D soon so I wanted to know the shutter count and have the sensor cleaned. Turnaround time was 1 day due to CPS membership. If the OP needs help, I'd be willing to send it to canon USA for you and have it fixed then sent back to you. That's if Canon CA is not taking care of you.

Jan 25, 2013 at 03:11 AM
brian500au
• •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Canon 5D Mirror Fell off - repair Help

Even in Australia this fix is free. My 5D had the same problem a month ago - i emailed them and they said no problems send it in. I sent it in 2 days ago.

Jan 25, 2013 at 05:23 AM
RedOak

p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Canon 5D Mirror Fell off - repair Help

Thanks guys for all the comments reagarding this. I've contacted Canon, and it seems everything will work out.

Here's the shot that killed my camera, for anyone interested

Feb 10, 2013 at 06:21 PM
bradf35
• •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Canon 5D Mirror Fell off - repair Help

I just sent mine in last week. I hadn't heard anything as of yesterday, so I called Canon. The guy told me that he was waiting for a $207 payment. I asked about the recall, and he apologized and told me I should have my camera back by the end of the week.

Feb 12, 2013 at 05:17 AM

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.