Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

Sports Corner Rules
Sports Corner Resource

FM Forums | Sports Corner | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2013 · Youth Basketball

Marty Bingham
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Youth Basketball

1. First and maybe last youth basketball of the year.
http://i17.photobucket.com/albums/b79/snaptie2002/3128.jpg

2. I've been shooting local youth sports here for going on 10 years.
http://i17.photobucket.com/albums/b79/snaptie2002/3129.jpg

http://i17.photobucket.com/albums/b79/snaptie2002/3130.jpg

4. At the last HS game I shot I was struck by how many seniors I have photographed since they were this size in this gym.
http://i17.photobucket.com/albums/b79/snaptie2002/3131.jpg

http://i17.photobucket.com/albums/b79/snaptie2002/3132.jpg

http://i17.photobucket.com/albums/b79/snaptie2002/3133.jpg

7. Somewhere along the way things have changed.
http://i17.photobucket.com/albums/b79/snaptie2002/3134.jpg

8. Although sales have been down for me in this market, that's not what bothers me. Never really been in it for the money. Photography or bridge building.
http://i17.photobucket.com/albums/b79/snaptie2002/3135.jpg

9. What bothers me is no one is even going to the trouble of looking. I've had like 6 hits for these three games. Makes me wonder why I bother.
http://i17.photobucket.com/albums/b79/snaptie2002/3136.jpg

10. Any way, I can always count on you guys to look. (a little too closely sometimes) As always...thanks for lookin'
http://i17.photobucket.com/albums/b79/snaptie2002/3137.jpg

C&C welcome,
Marty

Jan 21, 2013 at 01:37 AM
innaeddy1
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Youth Basketball

Well, way to start the season and possibly ending the season. I can tell you that the $ is not rolling in for the lack of effort or great shots. #9 is sweet on all levels, and way to make nice work of crappy backgrounds.

Andy

Jan 21, 2013 at 01:44 AM
DennisC
• • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Youth Basketball

Marty Bingham wrote:
...Although sales have been down for me in this market, that's not what bothers me...Never really been in it for the money....What bothers me is no one is even going to the trouble of looking...

You're not alone.

Jan 21, 2013 at 02:22 AM
Russ Isabella
• • • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Youth Basketball

Marty,

While I don't doubt it (I feel like I've been there with trying to motivate parents' interest), surely your photos are not to be blamed. As I was scrolling through and looking at what you'd posted here, I was preparing to comment that the parents must love these shots. Ha! Your commentary has me shaking my head. I'm guessing a lot of people are under the illusion that they have plenty of photos of their kids. Most of them are wrong as far as high-quality prints are concerned, but whaddayagunnado? Just FYI, I also know the feeling of the 'why do I bother?' question. Sucks. But it's got to have an answer.

Jan 21, 2013 at 03:40 AM
danmc
• •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Youth Basketball

Your lighting is perfect!

Jan 21, 2013 at 04:42 AM
rolette
• • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Youth Basketball

Russ Isabella wrote:
Marty,

While I don't doubt it (I feel like I've been there with trying to motivate parents' interest), surely your photos are not to be blamed. As I was scrolling through and looking at what you'd posted here, I was preparing to comment that the parents must love these shots. Ha! Your commentary has me shaking my head. I'm guessing a lot of people are under the illusion that they have plenty of photos of their kids. Most of them are wrong as far as high-quality prints are concerned, but whaddayagunnado? Just FYI, I also know the feeling of the
...Show more

Do they have any idea about the quality of the shots you are putting up?

A few years ago, I was editing photos from my kiddo's basketball game and was fussing that I didn't get any good shots of a couple of the kids on the team. My wife looked through them with me and told me I needed to widen my filter and get over myself. The defects in the photos that I saw (ie., things that would never put up here) were things the parents would never notice and were still WAY better than the action shots they ever had of their kids.

I was fairly skeptical about that until one of the other parents sent around a link to their photos... 150'ish small images that were utter crap. Straight dump from a camera that never had a chance to work in the cave/gym at the church the kids were playing at. Bonus points for having small images hosted on a slow site. You couldn't pay me to wade through the gallery.

That experience has been repeated quite a bit over the years. I'm wondering if people don't bother looking at online galleries because most (all?) of their experience has been like the one I described. Not all that different than how I am when people send me links to "funny videos". 9 times out of 10, I don't ever bother to click the link.

Jay

Jan 21, 2013 at 03:31 PM
Marty Bingham
• • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Youth Basketball

Hey Andy. I wasn't sure how #9 would fly. It's a little odd but I liked it too. Thanks.

Dennis, yeah I think it is pretty widespread. Don't know why but I'm like Russ, there's got to be an answer.

Russ, whaddayagunnado? A real conundrum. I guess I'll shoot a lot and gripe a little and try not to get too discouraged.

danmc, thanks. I love me some Alien Bee's AB 800's.

Jay, I know exactly what you are talking about. The whole thing is just getting too watered down. It's a shame.

Marty

Edited on Jan 23, 2013 at 11:46 AM · View previous versions

Jan 21, 2013 at 07:43 PM
MakoShark
• • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Youth Basketball

there are some really great images in this set Marty. At this age I feel its about the kids and their interaction, determination, and hilarious antics! You ALWAYS capture the subject in a very cool fun way.

The more I shoot HS sports the more I am finding this is a wicked roller coaster with no rhyme or reason. Totally in a similar boat over in my neck of the woods. Some parents are AWESOME and get it and support the efforts and buy shots. Others just either don't care, don't want to spend, or I hear alot of "I haven't had time to go look cause of work, but I am going to real soon". Society in my opinion has changed a bit, not sure if the economy has anything to do with it. But I do see kids walking around with iPhone 5's, head phones that cost a ton of money and designer sports wear. Not sure thats an excuse. But the day of many parents making albums for the kids to have in later years seems to be gone around here. They all have them on phones, which will be replaced sooner or later, computers that have crashed and lost images, or just settling for phone pics!

I think Jay hit on something I run into lately. Lots of parents showing up with equipment that has no chance in delivering a stunning image. But because it says Nikon or Canon and is a DSLR, they're awesome. I almost think peoples standards have dropped. It takes a ton of influence for them to realize the shots you produce are a ton better. I am lucky as the staff and booster clubs help support me, but still things are so radically hot then cold. Thank God for the day job...

Your work is stellar and again I would bet my whole kit that none of their shots are even in the same galaxy as these. I know that comment from me doesn't help in the finance department, but the work is a joy to look at and talk about!

Good luck!

Jan 21, 2013 at 08:24 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

Marty Bingham
• • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Youth Basketball

Thanks Manny,

Well said. I don't think photos are a high priority for most people.

I paid $21.00 for two small popcorns and drinks last weekend at the movies and had to stand in line for a few minutes for the privilege. It struck me that the people in that line will spend $5.00 on a small Coke without blinking but they will choke up on a $4.00 photo.

Go figure...

Marty

Jan 23, 2013 at 11:57 AM
teric
• •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Youth Basketball

Maybe the parents there take you for granted? I know when I shoot tournaments, the teams that are local for me are the ones who don't buy, it's the ones that aren't exposed to what I do where I get my sales from. Also, maybe try offering options other than prints? I am always looking for new photo products to offer at tournaments and events. Horse shows get different products than figure skating. Just a couple of thoughts...

Edited on Jan 25, 2013 at 12:46 AM · View previous versions

Jan 24, 2013 at 11:01 PM
Frank Lauri
• • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Youth Basketball

Marty....this is a great series. At first glance I couldn't figure out what she had in her mouth in #3....it looked like a finger at first.

How does a parent pass up a picture of that little guy in #2 and not have it on their desk at work or home or in the special picture areas of the house. As Manny stated....some parents get it and for those that don't....they are probably the ones who will get their smart phone out and snap a shot of their little one shooting a basketball, throwing a baseball or football and they load it to their FB page and you can't tell who it is because of how blurry or dark it is. It's their loss. Those who "get it" will return and purchase.

Keep bringing it Marty....your work is outstanding.

Jan 25, 2013 at 12:08 AM
scorpio1
• • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Youth Basketball

Frank Lauri wrote:
Marty....this is a great series. At first glance I couldn't figure out what she had in her mouth in #3....it looked like a finger at first.

How does a parent pass up a picture of that little guy in #2 and not have it on their desk at work or home or in the special picture areas of the house. As Manny stated....some parents get it and for those that don't....they are probably the ones who will get their smart phone out and snap a shot of their little one shooting a basketball, throwing a baseball or football and
...Show more

+1. Well said Frank!

Great work Marty!!

Jan 25, 2013 at 01:11 AM
Ralph Thompson
• • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Youth Basketball

Marty, I always enjoy your work. I've found youth sports (action) to be almost an impulse buy on site. I've had some leagues I work with (T&I clients) insist on posting action on-line. I've never been successful at it. If someone can crack the nut on this, I'm all ears... I've tried pre-sales, coupons...ect... Never the same as on site sales. But even thats getting tougher these days.

Jan 25, 2013 at 05:30 AM
Marty Bingham
• • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Youth Basketball

Teric, that's what it feels like, taken for granted. I'm sure spicing up my inventory would help sales. I guess I need to break down and learn to make a poster!

Thanks for the encouragement Frank. You're right, some folks get it, some don't. And the smart phones have gone a long way towards devaluing a photograph. I saw a woman pull out her phone at the car wash the other day and take a picture of a dog. Not that many years ago she wouldn't have had a camera at the car wash, and if she did she wouldn't have wasted the cost of film and processing on a random dog. I bet she came across the shot a week later and asked herself why she took it in the first place. Couple that with all the 200 shot camera dumps Jay talked about and interest takes another nose dive.

Thanks scorpio1.

I hear ya Ralph. I do onsite sales for larger events but I gotta tell ya, even with all the bells and whistles, announcements and displays there's still a small percentage of the total crowd that bothers to take a look. And that's what I'm talking about more so than sales. I operate the same way at a dirt track race as I do for youth sports. After a race my site will get 40-50 thousand hits. I think I'm up to 122 combined for the three games that these photos came from.

Somewhere along the line the youth sports crowd has lost interest which is reflected by the fact they are not even bothering to look at the photos anymore.

It may be because the racers are passionate about what they do and are happy to be there and a lot of sports parents would rather be somewhere else.

Anyhooo...whaddayagunnado?

Marty

Jan 25, 2013 at 12:19 PM
oldrattler
• • • • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Youth Basketball

Having raised my children, some grandchildren, & 13 foster children I feel qualified to say, most parents are selfish. Look at the gang problems in America, and the one parent homes. Family is a "disposable commodity" today. Conversely, the economy sucks, money is tight. Frequently I wanted to buy but did not have the money.. Nothing wrong with your images, something is wrong with our family system... Jim

Jan 25, 2013 at 01:10 PM

FM Forums | Sports Corner | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Reset password