Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | People Photography | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2013 · Taiko Movement and questions

secondclaw
• •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Taiko Movement and questions

I went to a friend's Taiko drum concert few days ago (Fushu Daiko), and was lucky enough to sit at the front row right at the center. So I took many photos, but one that intrigues me is the one below.
Couple of questions:
1. I tried to time the photo when the performer bent backwards, to capture still motion, and was lucky enough when the performers in the back all shouted something at that same moment. But - does this actually work - with in-focus person without a face? For whatever reason this is my favorite photo of the entire concert, but I'm not entirely comfortable with it (besides missing face, the background people are lit up more than the one in the foreground).
2. This photo, and all others, have a heavy color cast (probably accentuated by ISO5000), however the stage was also lit up with colored lighting. I want to tone it down without loosing stage lighting effect, so the eye-dropper in PS or Lightroom won't really work since it will (and does) remove all color casts including the ones I'd rather keep. I made a few random pecking attempts with the dropper and found one spot where the cast was toned down a bit, but this was purely random. Is there another option?
First photo is original (adjustments in LR: +0.5 exposure, +37 highlight recovery, +2 black level; Noise Ninja luminance NR, faded to 80%)
Second photo is same adjustments, but with the slight color correction.

Thanks.

1/500s @ f/4, 70mm, ISO 5000

No Color correction:

Slight color correction:

Jan 20, 2013 at 09:43 PM
peterindb

p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Taiko Movement and questions

I share your feeling about not being able to see the subject's face.

The background faces are great, but not enough to make up for the subject.

Composition is tough.....if it's caught perfectly, who cares if the color balance is a tad off.

Jan 21, 2013 at 02:41 AM
Steady Hand
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Taiko Movement and questions

Hi,

Photos don't always have to show a facial expression to be "expressive."

However, in this case you have several faces and none is clearly seen (several out of focus) and one at an extreme angle.

I think more DOF (so more face in focus) or different timing showing the foreground figure would make a nicer/stronger photo.

I hope thse comments help you.

Jan 21, 2013 at 06:07 PM

secondclaw
• •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Taiko Movement and questions

Thanks. I wonder if focusing on the background figures (or at least one of them - probably one to the left) while letting the performer in the front go out of focus would have worked better (I couldn't get them all in focus, not enough light, and was sitting too close to the stage - about 6 feet from the main performer).

Steady Hand wrote:
Hi,

Photos don't always have to show a facial expression to be "expressive."

However, in this case you have several faces and none is clearly seen (several out of focus) and one at an extreme angle.

I think more DOF (so more face in focus) or different timing showing the foreground figure would make a nicer/stronger photo.

I hope thse comments help you.

Jan 21, 2013 at 11:35 PM
CW100
• • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Taiko Movement and questions

secondclaw wrote:
Thanks. I wonder if focusing on the background figures (or at least one of them - probably one to the left) while letting the performer in the front go out of focus would have worked better (I couldn't get them all in focus, not enough light, and was sitting too close to the stage - about 6 feet from the main performer).

getting one performer's face either background or foreground would be better

Jan 22, 2013 at 11:51 AM
sozypozy
• • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Taiko Movement and questions

You can see a bit of his face and you don't really need to have a face in the photo just to show the emotions. His body language works just fine. I think the picture is good enough

Jan 22, 2013 at 08:51 PM

FM Forums | People Photography | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password