Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

Archive 2013 · Stupid 600mm II Question

sperraglia
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Stupid 600mm II Question

Got a new 600mm II this week and went out with it today. Went to take a vertical shot and after I loosened the knob on the collar it only moves about an inch so no way to take a vertical shot when mounted. They didn't put on some special knob or button or something to release the tripod ring for turning - right? This can't be normal -right? I never had a problem with the 500 or 800 so just wanted to see if there is something new I missed before I return the lens. Thanks

Jan 20, 2013 at 07:20 PM
godfather
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Stupid 600mm II Question

Sounds like you should send it back to canon. They have indents at the 90's...something might have come apart binding it up? Did you change any parts on it like the lens foot?

Jan 20, 2013 at 07:36 PM
sperraglia
• • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Stupid 600mm II Question

I did put a replacement foot on it - could that have done something? I can put the original lens foot back on.

I got the lens on Thursday - should I sent it back to camera store or Canon?

Jan 20, 2013 at 07:42 PM
AGeoJO
• • • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Stupid 600mm II Question

If the replacement foot doesn't physically prevent the lens from rotating inside the collar then there is something wrong with it. I couldn't imagine that a replacement foot would do that though.

Jan 20, 2013 at 07:47 PM
ifxbonz
• • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Stupid 600mm II Question

I cant speak for the new series of lenses, but it sounds like a bearing let loose and your locked up (there is a small screw that holds several bearing sets centered in place so each bearing set tracks smoothly through a grove track in the collar). If a bearing set gets loose the small screw will bind in the collar track. I changed a complete set of bearings on my 400 mm IS and it rotates great. but this sounds like you need to send it back for repair. Im assuming that the lenses are similar within the inner collar components.

Andy

Jan 20, 2013 at 07:47 PM
sperraglia
• • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Stupid 600mm II Question

Thanks guys! I was hoping I had just missed some new fangled button. Sounds like it is going on a trip to Canon!

Jan 20, 2013 at 07:50 PM
godfather
• • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Stupid 600mm II Question

I was thinking if the replacement foot was too thin or if different screws (slightly longer) were used they might be binding?

Jan 20, 2013 at 07:56 PM
leftcoastlefty
• •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Stupid 600mm II Question

According to another thread, this forum has become too negative. Meanwhile, you guys have been too nice and helpful. I expect to see more negative comments! <sarcasm>

Jan 20, 2013 at 08:03 PM
sperraglia
• • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Stupid 600mm II Question

godfather wrote:
I was thinking if the replacement foot was too thin or if different screws (slightly longer) were used they might be binding?

I think it is the bearings but will post what happens when I put back on the original foot. Thanks

Jan 20, 2013 at 08:31 PM
big country
• • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Stupid 600mm II Question

It should be smooth as butter.

Jan 20, 2013 at 10:45 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

dolina
• • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Stupid 600mm II Question

Did you use a Lenscoat on your new 600? When I first installed a lenscoat onto my 400 IS II I felt some resistance in the collar because some part of the neoprene wasn't stretched out properly. When I adjusted the fit it rotated as "smooth as butter".

Jan 20, 2013 at 10:56 PM
sperraglia
• • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Stupid 600mm II Question

big country wrote:
It should be smooth as butter.

Hey Jason - I was using your old 1d4 today with the 600, it is still going strong after 2 years!

Dolina - Yes, I put a lenscoat on it, but it doesn't seem to constrict movement.

Jan 20, 2013 at 10:59 PM
dolina
• • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Stupid 600mm II Question

sperraglia wrote:

Hey Jason - I was using your old 1d4 today with the 600, it is still going strong after 2 years!

Dolina - Yes, I put a lenscoat on it, but it doesn't seem to constrict movement.

Try adjusting it. It may solve your problem. The neoprene really clings to the lens.

Jan 20, 2013 at 11:30 PM
big country
• • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Stupid 600mm II Question

Sperragila,

have you got your hands on a 1dx yet?

Jan 20, 2013 at 11:32 PM
dolina
• • • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Stupid 600mm II Question

sperraglia,

which foot did you get?

Jan 20, 2013 at 11:34 PM
PetKal
• • • • • • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Stupid 600mm II Question

dolina wrote:
sperraglia,

which foot did you get?

Edited on Jan 24, 2013 at 12:23 AM · View previous versions

Jan 21, 2013 at 12:03 AM
big country
• • • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Stupid 600mm II Question

Jan 21, 2013 at 12:12 AM
sperraglia
• • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · Stupid 600mm II Question

Godfather - you are brilliant! I put the original foot back on and it had slightly shorter screws and eureka, it turns!

Jason - Nope, kind of out of my price range. How about when you are ready to sell one of yours at a good discount you let me know? I am going back to Kenya with a side trip to Rwanda for gorillas this June so thinking maybe I might rent a 1dx to go with the 1d4 & 5d3.

Dolina - I had taken the CR-80 off the 800mm just to go try, but it is not ideal (beyond the too long screw issue). One of the things I have noticed is with the lens back weighted I think I will go with new 4th generations foot since you can adjust the weight back of where the foot attaches to the lens. With the CR-80 it was balanced if I put the back of the lens plate at the very end of the wimberley plate to were you couldn't scoot up the any further and then if I added an extender it wouldn't balance on the wimberley unless I kept tension on it, otherwise it would point to the sky. I don't buy RRS, but even if I did it seems like all the weight is in front of where it attaches to the lens so I can't see how you would get proper balance. Greg at Naturescapes is supposed to get one in this coming week, not sure what it is going to look like - if it variable like 4th generation I might try, but I am on the waitlist for the 4th generation to come back into stock. Spoke to him on Friday and they should be back in stock in a few weeks.

Guys - thanks for all the help and so glad I don't have to send my new baby to canon tomorrow!

Jan 21, 2013 at 12:17 AM
sperraglia
• • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · Stupid 600mm II Question

Jason - do you have any balance issues with the RRS foot? with the back weighting and the 1dx being a little heavier I would think from what I saw that you would want to have the option slide the plate back from where it attaches to the tripod.

Jan 21, 2013 at 12:19 AM
mitesh
• • • •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · Stupid 600mm II Question

PetKal wrote:

I see Peter is making a play to be included in Jim's humor thread...

Jan 21, 2013 at 12:19 AM
       2       end

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password