Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2013 · Still can't decide which to keep - Sigma 35 or Canon 35 L

Shield
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Still can't decide which to keep - Sigma 35 or Canon 35 L

I have both right now with a 5d3. I've been back and forth on both of these lenses, shooting probably 1k test shots and videos.
First of all I picked up a really sharp 35L for $995 so the price for me is $100 between the two lenses.

Canon 35L:
1. Much, much less vignetting wide open over the Sigma.
2. Great build quality (Sigma build is very good too; toss up here).
3. Reliable autofocus and my copy needed no AF adjustments.
4. Really needs to be at F/1.8 - F/2 to get good center sharpness IMO.
5. Slightly wider view than the Sigma (Not much; seems like 2-3mm)

Sigma:
1. Vignettes like a MOFO wide open; still noticeable until about F/2.2 (Yes I've been shooting walls today and tested it). While this can be corrected in post, it's really tough to correct in movie mode.
2. Is slightly narrower than the Canon.
3. Autofocus seems to have a mind of its own sometimes depending of artificial or natural lighting.
4. After further review, I might like the colors of the Sigma better.

However - The Sigma is far sharper wide open, and this is why it's really hard to send it back - the pictures have a "3d" effect to them much more than the Canon. The Canon's OOF seems to blend in more with the background, but the Sigma looks very 3d like. I love the effect actually.

I have no idea what to do. I don't think I've ever been more 50/50 on a lens decision in my life.

Jan 19, 2013 at 10:50 PM
goosemang
• • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Still can't decide which to keep - Sigma 35 or Canon 35 L

you're enchanted with the sigma image quality, and in the end that's what it's all about. so keep the sigma.

Jan 19, 2013 at 10:56 PM
Gunzorro
• • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Still can't decide which to keep - Sigma 35 or Canon 35 L

goose -- Part of image quality is that the subject is always reliably in focus, so that element enters the equation. The gear needs to inspire confidence. If not, it's a disaster waiting to happen at a critical moment. I hate pulling snakes out of a bag.

Jan 19, 2013 at 11:07 PM
Shield
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Still can't decide which to keep - Sigma 35 or Canon 35 L

Both of you are right. Hence the dilemma.

Jan 19, 2013 at 11:29 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

Shield
• • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Still can't decide which to keep - Sigma 35 or Canon 35 L

I shot this today to better illustrate the vignetting from the Sigma:

Watch in 1080p perhaps it's better. Please don't mind my screaming daughter in the background.

http://youtu.be/pNXUEO0fHPY

Shawn

Jan 19, 2013 at 11:47 PM
Legion5
• •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Still can't decide which to keep - Sigma 35 or Canon 35 L

It's an interesting comparison, one has fewer flaws but also have fewer benefits (Canon). Yet the other has more benefits but more flaws.

In the end it depends what you want. A few amazing photos, and a few bad ones, or a ton of above average photos and no bad ones.

Personally I'm really waiting for the Canon 35mm 1.4 II which has been rumored for release this year.

Jan 20, 2013 at 01:24 AM
svassh
• • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Still can't decide which to keep - Sigma 35 or Canon 35 L

There is no wrong answer

Jan 20, 2013 at 01:47 AM
Shield
• • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Still can't decide which to keep - Sigma 35 or Canon 35 L

Legion5 wrote:
It's an interesting comparison, one has fewer flaws but also have fewer benefits (Canon). Yet the other has more benefits but more flaws.

In the end it depends what you want. A few amazing photos, and a few bad ones, or a ton of above average photos and no bad ones.

Personally I'm really waiting for the Canon 35mm 1.4 II which has been rumored for release this year.

You've really nailed it, except I'd say the 35L shots are above average. The Sigma shots have the "wow" factor though when you nail them.

Jan 20, 2013 at 02:48 AM

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password