Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

Archive 2013 · My 5D III Unresponsive at Times

arnold1
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · My 5D III Unresponsive at Times

My about one month old 5D III appears to be unresponsive at times. It was purchased from an authorized US dealer. The lack of responsiveness could be a few seconds or a minute or so that the pressing of the shutter does not do anything. This happens with flash (580 EX II) or without flash. Initially I thought it had to do with processing time which was due to the high # of fps I was shooting at swim meets specially when I was doing both RAW + JPG simultaneously. Now that I am saving in RAW only, and single shots without a burst, it still behaves the same way. This incidentally is happening with any lens on the camera and any shooting mode. The lenses that I mostly use are 70-200, 24-70, 50 1.2 and 24-105. I have not tried it with any other lenses or my 600 EX-RT flash that I got this Christmas yet.

I know this could be a user error as I have not cracked opened the manual to the camera. Please do NOT give me a hard time on that as my wife has taken care of that on behalf of all my fellow FMers already!

My concern is if this is possibly a bad copy, and if so, perhaps I should return it and get a new one.

I appreciate any thoughts you might have on this.

Jan 19, 2013 at 08:06 PM
saneproduction
• • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · My 5D III Unresponsive at Times

I have not had anything like this happen. I would call Canon and see if they want you to send it in. Sorry!

Jan 19, 2013 at 08:15 PM
Gochugogi
• • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · My 5D III Unresponsive at Times

My old GF also appeared to be unresponsive at times.

Long exposure NR can cause a delay equal to the length of the original exposure, e.g., 10 second exposure = 10 seconds of black frame. If that's not it, I'd reset the PRAM before returning (pull mains & backup button cell). Fixed my camera and cellphone several times. Didn't work on the GF.

Jan 19, 2013 at 08:15 PM
arnold1
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · My 5D III Unresponsive at Times

Gochugogi wrote:
My old GF also appeared to be unresponsive at times.

Long exposure NR can cause a delay equal to the length of the original exposure, e.g., 10 second exposure = 10 seconds of black frame. If that's not it, I'd reset the PRAM before returning (pull mains & backup button cell). Fixed my camera and cellphone several times. Didn't work on the GF.

Yeah…that never worked for me either.

I will try the PRAM reset. If that doesn't do it should I return and get a new one?

Jan 19, 2013 at 08:22 PM
Imagemaster
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · My 5D III Unresponsive at Times

Listen to your wife, and read the manual.

Try resetting all functions to default.

Jan 19, 2013 at 11:53 PM
sirimiri
• • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · My 5D III Unresponsive at Times

Though it may sound toooooo easy, have you tried reformatting both cards?

Have you tried swapping cards? Have you tired only using one card and leaving the other slot empty?

Bet your wife dinner that you can isolate the problem. That way, you both get a nice dinner out of it, even when she's right.

(because they are always right...)

Jan 20, 2013 at 12:22 AM
arnold1
• • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · My 5D III Unresponsive at Times

Imagemaster wrote:
Listen to your wife, and read the manual.

Try resetting all functions to default.

I talked to CPS and they suggested doing that in addition to all customs and camera setting. I did all that to no avail.

Jan 20, 2013 at 12:29 AM
arnold1
• • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · My 5D III Unresponsive at Times

sirimiri wrote:
Though it may sound toooooo easy, have you tried reformatting both cards?

Have you tried swapping cards? Have you tired only using one card and leaving the other slot empty?

Bet your wife dinner that you can isolate the problem. That way, you both get a nice dinner out of it, even when she's right.

(because they are always right...)

I'll try the cards trick see if it works. We'll need to make sure we can figure this thing out without cracking the manual open.

Jan 20, 2013 at 12:32 AM
gvg45
• • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · My 5D III Unresponsive at Times

My first 5D3 had similar symptoms. It wouldn't respond at times. When it went to sleep, sometimes it didn't awake when buttons or the shutter was half-pressed. I tried the internal battery, cards & different lenses but nothing making a difference. Luckily it exhibited this problem enough times in the first week of me owning the camera that I was able to return it to B&H. The replacement camera has worked flawlessly.

I'd suggest the basic troubleshooting mentioned already, but if that doesn't work & if time still allows, I'd exchange the camera.

Jan 20, 2013 at 12:34 AM
arnold1
• • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · My 5D III Unresponsive at Times

gvg45 wrote:
My first 5D3 had similar symptoms. It wouldn't respond at times. When it went to sleep, sometimes it didn't awake when buttons or the shutter was half-pressed. I tried the internal battery, cards & different lenses but nothing making a difference. Luckily it exhibited this problem enough times in the first week of me owning the camera that I was able to return it to B&H. The replacement camera has worked flawlessly.

I'd suggest the basic troubleshooting mentioned already, but if that doesn't work & if time still allows, I'd exchange the camera.

Thank you for sharing your similar experience. So at least I know that I am not the only one. I am going to try the cards swapping suggestion made by Simiri and if that does not work get in touch with Amazon. I think I am within my return/exchange window. I hope they will do good on this if I have to exchange.

Jan 20, 2013 at 12:46 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

shutterbug guy
• •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · My 5D III Unresponsive at Times

My 5DIII does that same thing on occasion with no rhyme or reason or pattern failure that I can detect. I have pulled the main battery out and reinserted and all is good for the rest of the day.

I probably should send it in before the warranty runs out, but then it would be extremely difficult to reproduce the failure since it is so infrequent.

Best of luck to you and your 5DIII.

Other than that I love the final image files that this camera produces.

Roger

Jan 20, 2013 at 02:55 AM
Shutterbug2006
• • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · My 5D III Unresponsive at Times

Pulling the mains and touching the back button cell usually worked on my gf.

But if my camera was unresponsive, the diagnostic procedure I would try;

Restore factory default. Remove battery for 20 seconds. Format memory card.
Problem remains? Yes -> Repeat procedure but try new memory card.
Problem remains? Yes -> Repeat procedure but try different battery.
Problem remains? Yes -> Send camera for repair.

I have one non-canon battery that causes my 6D to do strange things if I attempt to use it.

Jan 20, 2013 at 09:51 AM
Wobble
• • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · My 5D III Unresponsive at Times

Disable High ISO speed noise reduction, C.Fn II-2, and see if it makes a difference.

Jan 20, 2013 at 12:06 PM
arnold1
• • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · My 5D III Unresponsive at Times

Shutterbug2006 wrote:
Pulling the mains and touching the back button cell usually worked on my gf.

But if my camera was unresponsive, the diagnostic procedure I would try;

Restore factory default. Remove battery for 20 seconds. Format memory card.
Problem remains? Yes -> Repeat procedure but try new memory card.
Problem remains? Yes -> Repeat procedure but try different battery.
Problem remains? Yes -> Send camera for repair.

I have one non-canon battery that causes my 6D to do strange things if I attempt to use it.

Thank you Shutterbug2006. I tried the steps you suggested also yet the camera behaves in the same manner. Given that I just bought it around Christmas time from Amazon, and since I am within my return/replacement window, even though I never return anything, I am wondering if I should give them a call?

Jan 20, 2013 at 11:15 PM
Wobble
• • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · My 5D III Unresponsive at Times

Return it while you can.

Jan 20, 2013 at 11:29 PM
mitesh
• • • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · My 5D III Unresponsive at Times

First, I applaud you for taking the time to try to diagnose and solve your problems instead of posting a rant and throwing an online tantrum. It seems like you've done pretty much anything and everything that could be expected of any user. If I was in your place, this is about the time that I would contact Amazon to discuss returning/exchanging. Personally, I've never had this issue with my 5D3, but I would be concerned about it getting worse or exhibiting more problematic symptoms- perhaps when you're past the return date and even warranty. Good luck!

Jan 20, 2013 at 11:32 PM
diverhank
• •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · My 5D III Unresponsive at Times

I just remember something...the only times my 5D3 became unresponsive was due to user's error on my part. I had the option "Lens drive when AF impossible" to OFF. I don't anymore. Some of the tele lenses, such as my 70-200 and 400, have the option for different focus distances by a switch. Several times I must have either manually focused the lens or accidental bump the lens to a distance less than the distance on the switch which renders the AF impossible to the camera...so when I press the focus button...nothing, turn off camera back on...nothing...pretty scary. I fixed it by changing to a different lens and I got wise after that. This doesn't sound like the OP's problem because it happens to all of his lenses but it's a worthwhile data point, anyhow.

(Edit: changed zoom lenses to tele lenses)

Jan 21, 2013 at 12:16 AM
arnold1
• • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · My 5D III Unresponsive at Times

mitesh wrote:
First, I applaud you for taking the time to try to diagnose and solve your problems instead of posting a rant and throwing an online tantrum. It seems like you've done pretty much anything and everything that could be expected of any user. If I was in your place, this is about the time that I would contact Amazon to discuss returning/exchanging. Personally, I've never had this issue with my 5D3, but I would be concerned about it getting worse or exhibiting more problematic symptoms- perhaps when you're past the return date and even warranty. Good luck!

Thank you Mitesh for your kind words and support. I will call Amazon tomorrow and share this with them. I hope that they will be receptive. I have never returned anything to them--even when I bought the wrong part. I'll report back to fellow FMers, once I have any new info. Thank you again!

Jan 21, 2013 at 02:33 AM
jerrykur
• • • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · My 5D III Unresponsive at Times

arnold1 wrote:
Thank you Mitesh for your kind words and support. I will call Amazon tomorrow and share this with them. I hope that they will be receptive. I have never returned anything to them--even when I bought the wrong part. I'll report back to fellow FMers, once I have any new info. Thank you again!

If you are within 30 days of purchase you do not have to call Amazon to get a return authorization. Simply go to your order page and select returns. Select that your item is not performing as expected and Amazon will even pay for the return shipping.

Jerry

Jan 21, 2013 at 03:32 AM
John P Mulgrew
• • • •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · My 5D III Unresponsive at Times

I can't change my damn af points with joystick, oh what did I do now?

Jan 21, 2013 at 12:18 PM
       2       end

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Reset password