Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Black & White Vision | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2013 · Infrared images using my newly converted D2x

jon.oman
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Infrared images using my newly converted D2x

Since I have enjoyed making infrared images with my converted Nikon D70, and since I have always wanted more resolution and better camera ergonomics, I just had my Nikon D2x converted by Life Pixel. The D2x has not seen much use since I got the Nikon D700, so instead of it sitting in the closet, I had it converted.....

I just got the D2x back from Life Pixel Thursday night.

I got out Friday for a few quick shots. I did not have too much time, so I just went to a local park...

Jan 19, 2013 at 04:08 PM
xjetjock
• • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Infrared images using my newly converted D2x

It looks like this was a good conversion. Are you happy with Life Pixel. I have an old Canon body I've considered converting. How did you post-process these into B&W?

Paul S

Jan 20, 2013 at 03:17 AM
jon.oman
• •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Infrared images using my newly converted D2x

xjetjock wrote:
It looks like this was a good conversion. Are you happy with Life Pixel. I have an old Canon body I've considered converting. How did you post-process these into B&W?

Paul S

Yes, I am happy with Life Pixel. This is the second camera that they have converted for me. The D70 has worked fine for many years, and the D2x has better resolution and ergonomics.

I worked from the raw NEF file, and processed them with Photoshop CS5. I have a camera raw plugin that removes the bright red/orange cast. I did convert all of them with a b/w layer adjustment.

Jan 20, 2013 at 03:36 PM
douter
• • • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Infrared images using my newly converted D2x

Nice work Jon. Have fun with this.
Douglas

Jan 20, 2013 at 07:18 PM
jon.oman
• •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Infrared images using my newly converted D2x

douter wrote:
Nice work Jon. Have fun with this.
Douglas

Thanks Douglas!

Jan 21, 2013 at 12:32 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

lazlo369
• • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Infrared images using my newly converted D2x

Looks like you have got your money's worth Jon.
I really like #5 with the surreal looking trees.

Jan 21, 2013 at 12:36 AM
jon.oman
• •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Infrared images using my newly converted D2x

lazlo369 wrote:
Looks like you have got your money's worth Jon.
I really like #5 with the surreal looking trees.

Thanks!

Jan 21, 2013 at 06:06 PM
goosemang
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Infrared images using my newly converted D2x

i'm not terribly familiar with processing IR images, but i have to say these are pleasantly surprising. so many of them look so over the top, harsh, distracting from the subject matter. i don't feel that way about these, with the exception of maybe the last one a *little* bit. i'm not sure if this is a function of how the camera is converted, or how you're post processing, but either way you seem to be doing it right. (or at least what counts as "right" to my eyes...)

Jan 22, 2013 at 03:57 AM
jon.oman
• •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Infrared images using my newly converted D2x

goosemang wrote:
i'm not terribly familiar with processing IR images, but i have to say these are pleasantly surprising. so many of them look so over the top, harsh, distracting from the subject matter. i don't feel that way about these, with the exception of maybe the last one a *little* bit. i'm not sure if this is a function of how the camera is converted, or how you're post processing, but either way you seem to be doing it right. (or at least what counts as "right" to my eyes...)

Thank you!

A lot has to do with how the images are processed. I could have left the 'false color' in the images, so that they would look more like the typical infrared image, but I chose to convert them to B&W, to make the effect more subtle.

Jan 22, 2013 at 04:30 PM

FM Forums | Black & White Vision | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Reset password