Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

1       2      
       end

Archive 2013 · New Obama White House portrait... guess what camera?

PhilDrinkwater
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.3 #1 · New Obama White House portrait... guess what camera?

Peter Figen wrote:
They lit him with copy lighting. Very flat and boring. No sense of anything. One too many umbrellas - you can see 'em in the eyes. Too bad. It could have been a great shot but was ruined by crappy light. And unfortunately, this is often the mark of a photojournalist. Great at found light but not so much at making it.

It's my least favourite lighting setup too, but for this shot I think it's relevant. It's a photo of someone - not a piece of art

Jan 19, 2013 at 08:51 AM
robinlee
• •
p.3 #2 · New Obama White House portrait... guess what camera?

Long live Canon!

Jan 19, 2013 at 10:59 AM
Mickey
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.3 #3 · New Obama White House portrait... guess what camera?

reno.peterson wrote:
I guess they use the "cheap" cameras for the President. Our nation's highest ranking General, Chief of Staff, Gen. Raymond T. Odierno it captured by MF.

Reno each branch of service has a Chief of Staff. If he is the nation's top General then he would be the Chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff and that would be General Dempsey.
You know how anal us military types are.

Jan 19, 2013 at 02:30 PM
outlawyer
• • •
p.3 #4 · New Obama White House portrait... guess what camera?

Hollywood couldn't have cast a better general than Odierno. The guy's huge, brilliant, and a bada$$.

As for the other....at least the photographer did a great job of keeping the swarms of fat green flies out of the shot. At least there's that.

Jan 19, 2013 at 02:43 PM
reno.peterson
• • • •
p.3 #5 · New Obama White House portrait... guess what camera?

Mickey wrote:
Reno each branch of service has a Chief of Staff. If he is the nation's top General then he would be the Chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff and that would be General Dempsey.
You know how anal us military types are.

Wait a minute Mickey...There are other branches? ...J/K, thanks for the correction and yes, I do understand how detail oriented "we" can be!!! I should have 'checked myself, before I wrecked myself!!!'...

General Martin E. Dempsey Chairman, Joint Chiefs of Staff

Leaf Valeo 17(LF5292 )/Mamiya 645 AFD    100 ISO  

Jan 19, 2013 at 04:50 PM
gdanmitchell
• • • • •
p.3 #6 · New Obama White House portrait... guess what camera?

Peter Figen wrote:
All I can say is that I've had more than my share of shoots with absolutely minimal time. I was given about two minutes with Armand Hammer, or another time less than a single minute with the president of Security Pacific bank (remember them?), or a huge fifteen minutes with George Harrision, but somehow was able to make decent light. But remember, this is the official White House photographer, who, I imagine, at least has the ability to set up his lights before and shoot test images with a stand-in. That's what I would do.

If you step back a bit from your edgy criticism, the photograph as an expression of the person it features actually is quite effective. The lighting minutiae that interest you so much are not of interest to much of anyone other than a person with your background perhaps.

I think it is a fine photograph which, like all photographs, can be critiqued as to how it might have been even better if an ideal situation existed (and it probably didn't) or if the photographer had the same aesthetic we have.

Dan

Jan 19, 2013 at 05:00 PM
Photon
• • • • •
p.3 #7 · New Obama White House portrait... guess what camera?

reno.peterson wrote:
Wait a minute Mickey...There are other branches? ...J/K, thanks for the correction and yes, I do understand how detail oriented "we" can be!!! I should have 'checked myself, before I wrecked myself!!!'...

How about an "action shot"

Canon EOS-1D X    EF24-105mm f/4L IS USM lens    92mm    f/5.6    1/60s    1600 ISO    0.0 EV  

Jan 19, 2013 at 06:02 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

cputeq
• • • •
p.3 #8 · New Obama White House portrait... guess what camera?

Dislike the subject, dislike the lighting, should have been dialed down on camera right some or repositioned - Seeing the two umbrella reflections is distracting.

Congrats to Canon or something.

Edited on Jan 20, 2013 at 01:38 AM · View previous versions

Jan 19, 2013 at 07:44 PM
skibum5
• • • • • •
p.3 #9 · New Obama White House portrait... guess what camera?

decided to delete it since we don't need more politics here even if it did seem time to at least have one person say something less than rabidly negative

Edited on Jan 19, 2013 at 08:44 PM · View previous versions

Jan 19, 2013 at 08:40 PM
M Lucca
• • •
p.3 #10 · New Obama White House portrait... guess what camera?

Great picture of Mr. President.

No spots all over the photos. AF seems spot on instead focusing on the wall and no green tint. Must be a Canon.

Folks if you haven't, you gotta go check out a Nat Geo documentary on Pete Souza - The President's Photographer. Very good insight on the job.

Jan 19, 2013 at 08:44 PM
SoundHound
• • • • •
p.3 #11 · New Obama White House portrait... guess what camera?

I seem to remember that '43's photographer was a sensational artist. Still not sure it'is fair to judge a WH official photographer by a single POTUS portrait. After all there are other opinions involved in the process.

Jan 19, 2013 at 09:00 PM
timbop
• • • • •
p.3 #12 · New Obama White House portrait... guess what camera?

Funny how some of you could have done it so much better. Oddly enough, you were never offered the job....

Jan 20, 2013 at 01:06 AM
cputeq
• • • •
p.3 #13 · New Obama White House portrait... guess what camera?

timbop wrote:
Funny how some of you could have done it so much better. Oddly enough, you were never offered the job....

Or it is possible being a presidential photographer involves a level of ass-kissing and connection-making that few people willingly pursue (regardless of who holds the office). Who knows?

Not to take away from the people that get to do it, good for them for acheiving their goal, but that doesnt mean the photo is immune from honest photographical criticism.

It could be the lovely Shania Twain up there instead, and I would still say the lighting is off because it is perfectly balanced and therefore loses nearly all dimension. His original photo I like much more.

And while I am nitting, am I the only one that finds the tie exposed at the bottom of the jacket incredibly distracting? I have to wonder if it will be cropped in further distro.

Edited on Jan 20, 2013 at 01:42 AM · View previous versions

Jan 20, 2013 at 01:37 AM
cputeq
• • • •
p.3 #14 · New Obama White House portrait... guess what camera?

skibum5 wrote:
decided to delete it since we don't need more politics here even if it did seem time to at least have one person say something less than rabidly negative

I also edited my post to better reflect the intent of the thread. However, please dont take my criticism of the present as condonement of the past.

Jan 20, 2013 at 01:39 AM
1       2      
       end

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

1       2      
       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password