Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2013 · Southern Portugal, where to go from there.

Ransome
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · Southern Portugal, where to go from there.

I'll be attending an award trip with my company in May in Southern Portugal, in a town called Algar Seco Parque. These trips a paid for, but short. So, if I'm going to fly from San Francisco to Portugal, I'm going to extend my stay and find a place near by where the photography, sight-seeing will be great. So I'm looking for ideas. Should I stay in the area or go to Gibraltar, Tangier or ... Please fill in the blank.

To make this relevant for the Canon forum, I'll be taking my Canon gears.

Thanks in avance for your advice and information.

Ransome

Jan 18, 2013 at 07:14 PM
dhphoto
• • • • •
p.1 #2 · Southern Portugal, where to go from there.

You will be in the beautiful Algarve and there are lots of places to shoot, the ancient hill-fort at Silves is nearby as is the port of Portimao. Check out the Capella d'Ossos temple made out of hundreds of dead monks bones too.

There's loads to do and see. It's a lovely place.

Jan 18, 2013 at 07:27 PM
ekoe

p.1 #3 · Southern Portugal, where to go from there.

from your place westwards are the beautiful red rocks of the algarve. don't miss these if you are a photographer. ponte de piedade is the place to go for this. east, you could go to ria formosa, a coastal nature reserve. silves is good, as dhphoto says and it has lots of nesting storchs in the centre of town. a dolphintrip can be made from several towns such as lagos or sagres. if you want to drive a few hrs, lisbon is a gem and a destination by itself. but for me, the best part is the wild coast in the southwest, from cabo de sao vicente to the north. top spot, once past lagos you loose the tourists.

Jan 18, 2013 at 08:36 PM
Gunzorro
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #4 · Southern Portugal, where to go from there.

If you want to travel a bit, maybe consider Barcelona?

Jan 18, 2013 at 10:25 PM
Sven Jeppesen
• • • •
p.1 #5 · Southern Portugal, where to go from there.

Lisbon is also really nice if you like to shoot in a city

Jan 19, 2013 at 03:25 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

Persio
• •
p.1 #6 · Southern Portugal, where to go from there.

Ransome,

Best option is to rent a car and drive. Distances are not a problem and roads are quite good. Highways are quite empty so there is no traffic.
You can include most of southern Portugal in your route.
Lisbon on a large river, Cascais (on the beach)
Sintra: very close to Lisbon, in the mountains, and a short drive La Pena castle and ruins from the mouros.
Obidos: a medieval little town, graceful and nice restaurants
Alcobaça, Batalha and Fatima (Portugal is a traditionally Catholic Country) so you will see ancient churches.

Have a good stay in Portugal and make sure you enjoy the local food and wine.
Persio.

Jan 19, 2013 at 03:05 PM
Ransome
• •
p.1 #7 · Southern Portugal, where to go from there.

Thanks guys,

Any votes for Tanjeres? I've never been to Africa before, at least I can say I'd been there.

Jan 19, 2013 at 06:04 PM
fraga
• • • •
p.1 #8 · Southern Portugal, where to go from there.

Another vote for Sintra.
Really, really nice.
http://www.parquesdesintra.pt/

If you can find the time, try azores also. A group of nine islands, really really beautiful.
Here you can find some pictures of the island I live on:
http://www.google.pt/search?q=ilha+de+s%C3%A3o+miguel+portugal&hl=pt-PT&sa=X&tbo=u&stick=H4sIAAAAAAAAAGOovnz8BQMDAy8HsxKnfq6-gZFZVUnRc8av3t2LpF18XTlDHhy_vGNHFNtsABDvSZ8qAAAA&tbm=isch&source=univ&ei=XB37UOSrBMK5hAfh9YGYBw&ved=0CFIQsAQ&biw=1242&bih=928

Jan 19, 2013 at 10:26 PM
firstgear99
• •
p.1 #9 · Southern Portugal, where to go from there.

Persio wrote:
Ransome,

Best option is to rent a car and drive. Distances are not a problem and roads are quite good. Highways are quite empty so there is no traffic.
You can include most of southern Portugal in your route.
Lisbon on a large river, Cascais (on the beach)
Sintra: very close to Lisbon, in the mountains, and a short drive La Pena castle and ruins from the mouros.
Obidos: a medieval little town, graceful and nice restaurants
Alcobaça, Batalha and Fatima (Portugal is a traditionally Catholic Country) so you will see ancient churches.

Have a good stay in Portugal and make sure you enjoy the local food
...Show more
Obidos is an awesome old castle city. You can walk along the top of the old castle wall. There is a cute city contained within. The castle proper has been turned into a hotel. I would suggest staying there just because "when was the last time you or someone you know slept in a true castle."

Jan 20, 2013 at 03:11 AM
jason.alabama
• •
p.1 #10 · Southern Portugal, where to go from there.

Ransome wrote:
Thanks guys,

Any votes for Tanjeres? I've never been to Africa before, at least I can say I'd been there.

The best parts of Morocco are beyond the port city (not personal experience, but most travel books agree).

I am a little jealous, and am sure that you will have a wonderful time wherever you go along the southern coast of Portugal or Spain. Don't forget to post pics from your Canon gears when you get back.

Jan 29, 2013 at 10:59 PM

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password