New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | People Photography | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2013 · Belated Winter

Brooksmcr

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Belated Winter

So, I've done a lot of reading and video watching on youtube in line with my fascination with photography. I couldn't resist missing a few shots in the snow and low and behold, Friday just happened to give me both the luxury of the snow and having my girlfriend visit me to help out!

Being the loving boyfriend I am I had to drag her out to the local park to try some shots and this was personally my favourite - it shows the utter excitement in this belated cold snap we're having in the UK brilliantly in my opinion!

Please leave any comments and criticisms so that I can progress further.

Kind Regards,
Danny.

http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8188/8392140021_b33be304fa_b.jpg

Jan 18, 2013 at 02:13 PM
ct8282
• • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Belated Winter

Hey man. Fellow UK'er here.

I couldn't work out if your comment about 'utter excitement' was meant sarcastically, I believe it was, and I would say this does show through in the photo. Whilst her facial expression is quite interesting as its not the usual smile for the camera type pose, it does have the feeling about it that she's not overly into the shoot, and that for me detracts from the shot.

Lighting on her face is decent, and the blanket of grey clouds over the uk at the mo has helped to give you a soft relatively easy light to work with, but you've manage to catch some pretty nice graduations in her face to add definition and avoid the flat lighting trap.

Pose wise it seems like her hand is just plonked against the tree without much consideration as to how or why this adds to the shot. It's certainly better than if she had been standing there with her hand down by her side, but I question the choice of positioning and pose in relation to this large tree trunk. As a result I find the composition slightly unappealing as this huge tree trunk is occupying most of the frame so I would have been inclined to move the trunk so its half in and half out of the shot and then had your gf posing accordingly to make her the main feature of the picture. After all, she's your subject so make her more prominent. Thankfully the dusting of snow on the other side of the trunk helps slightly by breaking up the huge tree trunk but for me its not working as an overall composition.

I want to be constantly drawn to the main subject of a portrait but the tree is competing for air time.

Not a bad portrait and there's a few good things in this shot, but also a few things which need work.

I hope my views help. They are of course purely based on my personal opinion so take them as you will.

Chris

Edited on Jan 18, 2013 at 04:47 PM · View previous versions

Jan 18, 2013 at 02:34 PM
Steady Hand
• • • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Belated Winter

Howdy Danny,

I enjoyed reading your intro remarks, and sense your enthusiasm for photography.

"Person in Snowy Landscape" is a good subject too.

You already got some good comment/criticism from CT8282 above (and I agree with most of those points).

Jan 18, 2013 at 04:10 PM

FM Forums | People Photography | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.