Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Photo Critique | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2013 · Old Timer

WalterF
• •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Old Timer

Was able to take this picture in Fort Branch NC, at a reenactment. I was walking by and saw him sitting staring off into nowhere, so I tried for his picture. No sooner than I took it he was up on his feet hugging someone he knew.

I am curious what can be improved as the reenactment season is getting close.
Thanks
Walt

Jan 18, 2013 at 06:07 PM
sbeme
• • • • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Old Timer

Walter,
An interesting character. The processing style wouldnt be for everyone, but I like it here.
Several issues to my eye.
First, looks like a high contrast scene and the processing did not tone things down. I find it almost painful to the eye. Maybe dial back the contrast a bit?
Second, The hands are odd. Why are they so much darker? Is it the processing? Not clear if lighting played a role. The cut off hand on the left of the image also bothers me, especially since the eye is drawn to the fingers on the other hand.
I'd be interesting in seeing more captures with this processing style applied. What program(s) did you use?
Scott

Jan 19, 2013 at 06:42 PM
WalterF
• •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Old Timer

sbeme: thanks for responding.
First: It was a high contrast scene, and I was trying bring it down in CS6, I can try some more.
Second: It must be I the processing, as I ran it through Topaz then Took the opacity down. Then it was run through Silver Effects Pro2.

I am putting the SOOC photo so you can see it.

Thank

Walt

Jan 19, 2013 at 07:35 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

RustyBug
• • • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Old Timer

Your rendering has a very "artistic" vibe to it that makes it seem as though you want it to look that way intentionally. That makes it a bit challenging to critique, but Scott has done a good job of it.

Your version kinda reminds me of a charcoal drawing, or what a "ghost" might look like ... if that makes any sense.

Took a stab, trying out a mixture of things to experiment with. I was a bit "torn" @ the fly. In your rendering, I think it adds to the character of the image. Mine, I kept seeing it as a distraction. As always, S&P to taste.

Jan 19, 2013 at 07:56 PM
cgardner
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Old Timer

Regarding the processing I think it matches the context of the subject well. The rest of the comments are regarding the process of capturing it.

The trick for capturing flattering candid shot is knowing where to stand when taking the shot and here you captured a very nice oblique view of his face with the far side profiled without the nose blocking the view of the far eye. The shaded eyes are unfortunate but often that's the luck of the draw. When you are lucky you can catch the subject to looking up.

When cropping in camera I suspect you got "tunnel vision" on the face in the center AF point of the camera, resulting in the cut-off hand and the big gap at top. Had you recomposed after focusing with the head higher in the frame you wouldn't have cut off the near hand and the far one would have more balancing space under it. So remember to check the edges of the frame when composing in camera. It's also a good idea to err on the side of cropping wider at capture than you envision the final image. That gives you more flexibility for cropping in editing.

I checked exposure in Levels and found the entire face in the sun and most of the jacket clipping in the red channel. To see this open in PS Levels, press the alt/opt key on the keyboard and click the cursor on the ^ highlight slider. The display will change to black with the area that are clipping shown in the colors of the channels which are clipping.

Skin starts to clip in red when there's neutral WB when exposure is 1/3 stop over. Here it looks about 2/3 stop over and that your WB was off at capture or you click corrected with the eye dropper on a blown highlight or non-neutral area. What's odd in this one with the Levels check is that the cuff on the shirt which appears brighter isn't clipping in red.

In a situation like that where the subjects are in sun on a clear day it's more consistent to set the camera to Daylight WB and use manual "Sunny 16" exposure rather than the camera metering and AWB. Use the clipping warning in the playback and adjust the manual exposure to keep white shirts 1/3 below the warning and skin highlights 2/3 under and you will not have the blown highlights and loss of detail you have here in the red channel.

Jan 19, 2013 at 11:08 PM
WalterF
• •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Old Timer

RustyBug thanks for your comments, it does look like a charcoal drawing in a way. I think Topaz gave me that look.

cgardner I was tunnel vision looking at his face and Top Hat, I will need to look at my edges and compose looser. Or recompose the image. Thank you for sharing the red clipping on levels, I have to get used to looking at it for tough images.
Sunny 16 I will have to push myself to try out in the dappled light.
Thank goodness this is for me and for fun Thank you for your time.

Walt

Jan 19, 2013 at 11:40 PM

FM Forums | Photo Critique | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password