New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Black & White Vision | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2013 · Venice's Bridge of Sighs, B/W conversion

ebrown88
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Venice's Bridge of Sighs, B/W conversion

Hi Everybody,

I'm pretty sure that every single tourist who goes to Venice takes a picture of the "bridge of sighs." The bridge is so named because it links the courthouse (on the left) with the prison (on the right). As prisoners walked the bridge from the courthouse to the prison, they would ... "sigh".

I've not done many black and whites, but this image seemed ideal for it. The original is below, followed by my B/W attempt. You'll notice that I cloned out the nearest boat.

C & C's welcomed and appreciated.

Dennis B.

© Dennis Brown 2013

Bridge of Sighs full original

© Dennis Brown 2013

Bridge of Sighs B/W conversion

Jan 18, 2013 at 10:53 AM
douter
• • • • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Venice's Bridge of Sighs, B/W conversion

Initially, I thought the first was selective coloring. The second I think is a little over-processed for what I had imagined. To me there is virtually no depth because of the tone mapping that looks like you used. Of course it is your vision and may be exactly the look you were after. Good work cloning out the boat!
Douglas

Jan 18, 2013 at 12:26 PM
tomandmarj
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Venice's Bridge of Sighs, B/W conversion

'a little over-processed' nah, a lot over done, unless, of course, your intent was to shock.
the original shot looks good and I'd like to encourage you to give it another go . . . .
regards, tom

Jan 18, 2013 at 08:01 PM
ebrown88
• •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Venice's Bridge of Sighs, B/W conversion

Thanks Tom and Douglas. I read you loud and clear on "over-processed." The only thing I can say in my defense is that the picture looks better printed than on screen.

I'll give it another try, though, with a more delicate hand.

Dennis B.

Jan 19, 2013 at 10:17 AM
Photo GeekMan
• •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Venice's Bridge of Sighs, B/W conversion

I would tend to agree here about the image looking harshly over processed. Otherwise the image has great composition, so perhaps after another try at processing the B&W it will look as good on screen as this might look in print.

Jan 19, 2013 at 11:50 AM

FM Forums | Black & White Vision | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.