FM Forum Rules
Landscape Posting Guidelines

FM Forums | Landscape Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2013 · Irish Tomb Sunset

markcapilitan
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Irish Tomb Sunset

Here is what I've titled ‘Ancient Spirit’.

Possibly the most technically challenging photo I’ve taken, certainly in a long time!
A 0.9 RF filter was used to hold back the sky while making sure there was some detail kept in the cairn tomb Co.Sligo, Ireland.
This was also one of the most spectacular sunsets I’ve ever witnessed, anywhere in the world! Shot back in October when the sun was setting right behind the cairn, this was a very slow burning sunset, where I basically sat in my car waiting to see if anything would happen. Slowly but surely the most perfect clouds for a spectacular sunset started creeping across the sky towards the Carrowmore tombs. As the sun started getting lower in the sky, the colours started to show themselves, gradually turning into the mega scene you see below.

A perfect image, no! Shooting at the end of October meant the grass & thistles in the foreground were all but dead, and unfortunately the building in the background is a horse stable, and with the angle I wanted to shoot at, I couldn't hide it behind the tomb.

Technical: Hasselblad Xpan, 30mm lens, Fuji Velvia, 0.9 RF ND Grad filter.

Jan 18, 2013 at 04:38 AM
JimFox
• • • • • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Irish Tomb Sunset

Hey Mark,

Wow... what crazy skies you had for this. It's pretty sweet how the clouds just radiate out like they do. Your processing looks pretty good, you should be happy with this.

Jim

Jan 18, 2013 at 04:59 AM

p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Irish Tomb Sunset

nice sunset!
i see you mention the stable, but couldnt you go lower and slightly closer, therefore loosing it in what looks like a dip and embankment ? i would of though it would be better to come closer anyway (if poss) as the tomb seems to be a to distant a feature. this in my view would of given a stronger image and may of used a heavier grad to lift the foreground ever so slightly. Obviously you have thought of some of these points which is a good way to learn for next time.

simon

Jan 18, 2013 at 05:01 AM
markcapilitan
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Irish Tomb Sunset

Thanks for the comments Jim & Simon.
Only processing done is to get it exactly like the original transparency.
I couldn't shoot in a lower position because of the thistles! They were starting to block my view of the tomb stones. I might need to plough the field next year so it's just grass!!
I don't have a heavier grad...not sure you can get a heavier one for the xpan! To be honest, I was happy with the detail I got in the tomb...balancing that sky with the foreground on film was tough! I knew it was never going to be a super perfect foreground exposure, I just wanted to make sure I had some detail without losing the sky.
Next time I'm up there I'll look around for a better angle to hide the stable...I'm praying for some snow this year as it would totally suit the landscape!

Jan 18, 2013 at 05:32 AM

p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Irish Tomb Sunset

snow, yeh! ive got plenty here looking outa the window hence why i amat home not work

Jan 18, 2013 at 05:45 AM
markcapilitan
• • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Irish Tomb Sunset

It is snowing here too but not sticking unfortunately! Seems to be warmer air in the Irish sea...you guys get the snow & ice, we get the rain!

Jan 18, 2013 at 05:52 AM
stanparker
• • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Irish Tomb Sunset

Outstanding shot. Love the format that shows the full width of the sunset.

Jan 18, 2013 at 08:57 AM

FM Forums | Landscape Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.