Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

Sports Corner Rules
Sports Corner Resource

FM Forums | Sports Corner | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2013 · HS BBALL used the speed lights

amlsml
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · HS BBALL used the speed lights

Thanks guys, work in progress, took your advice, dumped the diffusers, gelled them with the green gels, set to 1/2 power manual, mounted high but facing key instead of ceiling. 640, 2.0 iso 8000, 24-70 2.8, d3s, most of them I am under the basket on the floor. I post them more for exposure, flash then peak action, but i like these better. Still not sold on the harder flash look, in this set up will i ever be able to bounce? How about doubling them up, still at half power, so I can recycle quicker and retry the bounce? Thoughts? thanks. These are mostly SOOC mainly cropped and straightened. Thanks

NIKON D3S    70mm    f/2.8    1/640s    8000 ISO    0.0 EV  

Jan 18, 2013 at 02:51 AM
PShizzy
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · HS BBALL used the speed lights

These don't look bad, just lacking a touch of contrast. I actually tested one out in PS and did a simple white balance adjust and pulled the mids down a touch and they looked good. I didn't save it because of the rules here about reposting edits without permission.

Also, to bounce, you're gonna need more than a 2nd light. However, ganging up lights in general does help. If you doubled up your lights at each point you are lighting from, then you can drop each light a stop, so from 1/2 to 1/4, and that would help your recycle and/or shooting speed.

My advice as it stands right now would be to perhaps shoot at 6400 ISO, as you're a touch bright, and maybe add a touch of magenta to your wb, or use a proper white balance card to get it nailed down.

Jan 18, 2013 at 05:25 AM
cmpdesignz2010
• •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · HS BBALL used the speed lights

I am confused as to how they are mounted? I would love to see a set up picture or diagram if you have one.

Also, why did you not use them at full power at a lower ISO?

Jan 18, 2013 at 05:35 AM
amlsml
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · HS BBALL used the speed lights

Max, Have no fear, post all you like! I gelled green, does, yellow add a little more magenta? I was about 1/3 stop over. I will try this weekend and drop the iso. Amazing how bad the camera LCD, compared to the computer. Thanks MAX

Chris, my other post on HS bball shows the mount. I use them at 1/2 power so they recycle quicker.

Trevor showed me a cool video where they will often double the speed lights to get more light but super quick re set times.

Where else can you get awesome advice like this. Thanks Again!!

Jan 18, 2013 at 11:08 AM
basehorhonda
• •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · HS BBALL used the speed lights

As far as your gelling, just use a less "intense" gel than you did for this game. They make them in 1/2 power, 1/4 power, etc.

Jan 18, 2013 at 05:06 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

PShizzy
• • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · HS BBALL used the speed lights

Another option is to get a battery pack if you want to afford it. Flashzebra makes a good knockoff one. The drawback is that you're still working with one light and while the recycle time improves, it does not double, and you run greater risk of burning out your flash due to overpopping it.

Ganging lights, especially when you're using ControlTL tech, means a big upgrade in cost. You're looking at another TT5 unit as well as a brand dedicated hotshoe flash. That could easily run 500 bucks per light/TT5 combo.

Stick with what you have on hand and start working on nailing it down. My suggestions would be to consider lowering your ISO to 6400, as you seem a bit bright. Add some magenta in camera by adjusting the white balance. And if you want a less hard look on your images, you could lower the light, so that it does not dominate the exposure as much. Even a third stop would both lower that ratio of key to fill, and improve your recycle times.

I believe I mentioned this to you via PM, but you could simply try setting your general exposure by test shooting without the lights, and then slowly introduce it at different power levels to really dial it in. This is normally what I do when I shoot anything from sports to studio: I dial in my exposure for my background or ambient which I cannot control, then I introduce the light I can control and adjust until it matches the look I want, either becoming the key light, or the fill light.

Jan 18, 2013 at 08:03 PM
gome1122
• • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · HS BBALL used the speed lights

How did you have your speedlights placed in the gym. Have any example shots?

Jan 18, 2013 at 10:07 PM
amlsml
• • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · HS BBALL used the speed lights

Max, Thanks, I did just as you suggested, Set for ambient and started to add the lights. Definitely see the magenta and also these are a little hot. I will give it another go this week, Thanks again!

Jan 19, 2013 at 12:28 AM
amlsml
• • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · HS BBALL used the speed lights

MAX Shot this last night and dropped Iso to 6400. Tried adding just a touch of magenta. Color is still just a touch off. The LCD on the camera is very unreliable or my eyes are going, I cant really tell until I download them! WIll shoot Monday game in RAW and see if I can't dial it in. Thanks again for your help. How do you set you WB in gyms like this?

Feb 10, 2013 at 05:04 PM

FM Forums | Sports Corner | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Reset password