Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

FM Forum Rules
Wedding Resource List

FM Forums | Wedding Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

Archive 2013 · Traditional mounted album

jmraso
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · Traditional mounted album

Hi all,

I have lately noticed that the inquires for a traditional mounted album instead of a flush mounted one (matted album nearly zero in this part of the world) are getting back, is this because personal taste or because couples want to run away from those ugly, overphotoshopped and cheap flush mounted albums around.

I have lately had two inquires for traditional mounted album that booked me but turned into flush mounted once I showed them a sample.

Any comment

Jaime

Jan 17, 2013 at 01:44 PM
ricardovaste
• • • •
p.1 #2 · Traditional mounted album

I've had a few express an interest at a meetings, but not really through an initial inquiry. I mention that the one in my lab is nearly double the price of my flush mounted album, so I've never bothered to offer it. That kills interest. Then people seem to like my albums anyway, so no real issue. I've thought about getting a sample, but I just don't think it would be entirely beneficial for me personally.

Jan 17, 2013 at 02:02 PM
hardlyboring
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #3 · Traditional mounted album

Our best album is a matted album. I even put real photo prints from our 4x5 camera in it. Sometimes the old ways are the best ways.
The connotation has sometimes been that if the album is "matted" it will look like something from the 70s....
not the case for sure.

Jan 17, 2013 at 02:14 PM
TAGfan
• • •
p.1 #4 · Traditional mounted album

RIght on Doug. Some of the nicest albums I've seen have been those half matted half flush albums. I think they are quite interesting.

Jan 17, 2013 at 02:17 PM
jmraso
• • • •
p.1 #5 · Traditional mounted album

In due time (no longer than a couple of months) I will be introducing matted albums in my studio as full of good photography they are probably the best and very classy.

Jan 17, 2013 at 02:20 PM
jmraso
• • • •
p.1 #6 · Traditional mounted album

ricardovaste wrote:
I've had a few express an interest at a meetings, but not really through an initial inquiry. I mention that the one in my lab is nearly double the price of my flush mounted album, so I've never bothered to offer it. That kills interest. Then people seem to like my albums anyway, so no real issue. I've thought about getting a sample, but I just don't think it would be entirely beneficial for me personally.

Richard,

what if they really want a traditional album and you killed their interested and scared them away !!!

Jan 17, 2013 at 02:22 PM
ricardovaste
• • • •
p.1 #7 · Traditional mounted album

Well, a good question, and it's tough to know the answer to that. In short, my flush mounted albums are quite a significant investment compared to what people spend on services. For some it's too much. The matted album from the lab I use would work out as almost exactly what they're paying for serviced, and maybe 20-30% more. It just seems unlikely anyone would want that to do that *with me*.

I had a meeting in Oct. After seeing my 'book' she expressed an interest in something quite traditional, meaning the matted albums. I mentioned they're less common these days, and quite costly... I showed her my 'handmade' album and she really loved the quality, the layout. Was very complimentary. So I felt that was that done with... Any other interest has been very casual. But I never heard back from that bride... that could have been just related to overall price, but hard to know.

Maybe next year, if I'm able to move business forward an album of this type might be feasible. But that would require many more bookings for 2013 to start with ;-)

Jan 17, 2013 at 02:31 PM
sherijohnson
• • • •
p.1 #8 · Traditional mounted album

I don't know that I have seen any matted albums that look good, curious where potential clients would have seen this. If it were modern looking and tasteful, I guess it would be nice. I never cared for the old style wedding albums even when they were the standard. If anyone has links to albums like this that they think look good, I wouldn't mind taking a peek.

Jan 17, 2013 at 03:46 PM
jmraso
• • • •
p.1 #9 · Traditional mounted album

sherijohnson wrote:
I don't know that I have seen any matted albums that look good, curious where potential clients would have seen this. If it were modern looking and tasteful, I guess it would be nice. I never cared for the old style wedding albums even when they were the standard. If anyone has links to albums like this that they think look good, I wouldn't mind taking a peek.

Different strokes for different folks !!! though I find hard to believe the way you dislike the traditional style.

Jaime

Jan 17, 2013 at 06:44 PM
joelconner
• • • •
p.1 #10 · Traditional mounted album

Are there any decent matted options out there that are not crazy pricey? I sooooooo want to offer one, but I cannot imagine finding many people around here willing to spend Queensberry prices

Jan 17, 2013 at 06:52 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

joelconner
• • • •
p.1 #11 · Traditional mounted album

Here is one of the main reasons why I honestly have not pulled the trigger on getting a matted album. I still CONSTANTLY have people commenting when looking at our albums that they have never seen a flushmount album before. I have brides check with me to make sure we have the "new" types of albums where it is not the slip-in type of album. I honestly think that most of the people we meet would see it as old and "regressive" rather than timeless and a modern approach to a classic style...and those that DO love it might not be able to afford it.

Jan 17, 2013 at 06:58 PM
hardlyboring
• • • • •
p.1 #12 · Traditional mounted album

joelconner wrote:
Are there any decent matted options out there that are not crazy pricey? I sooooooo want to offer one, but I cannot imagine finding many people around here willing to spend Queensberry prices

Renaissance is pretty much where it is at for "affordable" matted albums.
Now don't get me wrong the QB is so nice it is silly but it is also so expensive it is even sillier. We have been doing the Renaissance Galleria album for about a year now and more than half of the weddings we have booked in 2013 are getting one... you set one of those down in front of someone just after you showed them the Vision Art album and I can guarantee no one is going to be picking the VA album.

Jan 17, 2013 at 07:00 PM
joelconner
• • • •
p.1 #13 · Traditional mounted album

hardlyboring wrote:
Renaissance is pretty much where it is at for "affordable" matted albums.
Now don't get me wrong the QB is so nice it is silly but it is also so expensive it is even sillier. We have been doing the Renaissance Galleria album for about a year now and more than half of the weddings we have booked in 2013 are getting one... you set one of those down in front of someone just after you showed them the Vision Art album and I can guarantee no one is going to be picking the VA album.

Really? Wow...that's good to know. Our markets are probably not all that different, so maybe we could get some sales.

Jan 17, 2013 at 07:05 PM
hardlyboring
• • • • •
p.1 #14 · Traditional mounted album

Ya you can for sure sell the Rena album...
The only thing that I do not like about their albums is the design software... You either have to use PS and their templates or else their ROES system which is fine but you cannot save the design or send your clients a version to view. So basically it is a one and done.
We have been telling people to pick the pictures and then the rest is up to us as far as design... so far so good. I have been talking with Renaissance about possibly working out another way to design that involves either a design software like KISS uses or some InDesign templates...
One day.

Jan 17, 2013 at 07:17 PM
jmraso
• • • •
p.1 #15 · Traditional mounted album

I donīt necessarily see either matted or traditional albums as a regressive and old style if one fill up the allbum with
up-to-date pictures and modern layouts, I just added the following in my Site for those couples looking for something more traditional (you have to see the leather handcraft albums I will be using these season).

And a matted album is in my agenda of sample ordering.

Jaime

Jan 17, 2013 at 07:23 PM
jmraso
• • • •
p.1 #16 · Traditional mounted album

Any afforable bespoke matted album different to QB, Rena

Thanks.

Jan 17, 2013 at 07:25 PM
sherijohnson
• • • •
p.1 #17 · Traditional mounted album

jmraso wrote:
Different strokes for different folks !!! though I find hard to believe the way you dislike the traditional style.

Jaime

you are right, different people have different tastes.... I am all about the modern style and very much dislike traditional, that's just me however if it were presented like a gallery style artistic book, the way I like gallery style mats and frames.... then we are talking about something completely different

Jan 17, 2013 at 07:34 PM
jmraso
• • • •
p.1 #18 · Traditional mounted album

sherijohnson wrote:
you are right, different people have different tastes.... I am all about the modern style and very much dislike traditional, that's just me however if it were presented like a gallery style artistic book, the way I like gallery style mats and frames.... then we are talking about something completely different

Could you please give me a link to see what you mean by gallery style artistic book I am very interested.

Thanks beforehand,

Jaime

Jan 17, 2013 at 07:53 PM
sherijohnson
• • • •
p.1 #19 · Traditional mounted album

I was saying IF there was one, I might be interested in it... I don't know that I have seen anything like what I described. Think artist type portfolio in a book style.

Jan 17, 2013 at 08:07 PM
joelconner
• • • •
p.1 #20 · Traditional mounted album

Just reactivated the account with Renaissance that I never used. They offer a good sample discount, so we are going to do one.

Jan 19, 2013 at 04:17 AM
       2       end

FM Forums | Wedding Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password