Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2013 · Is there something wrong with my autofocus screen?

Jarrod

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Is there something wrong with my autofocus screen?

New 600D body (actually refurb purchased direct from canon USA). Tonight I noticed a sort of "halo" around some of the AF points. I used my cellphone camera to take a photo with all the points lit up against a dark background. It *almost* looks like fingerprints behind four of the points. There is a similar, fainter effect around one or two of the other points that don't really show up in this pic.

I don't recall seeing anything like this on any Canon DSLR or even point-and-shoot before. Is it detrimental?

Click for photo

Jan 17, 2013 at 12:00 AM
dgdg
• • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Is there something wrong with my autofocus screen?

this is very common on the 5d II
not functional issue

Jan 17, 2013 at 12:08 AM
Jarrod

p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Is there something wrong with my autofocus screen?

Confirmed by looking at several in-store T3i viewfinders. They all looked like this. Glad for your post - it made me check. Canon support told me to send it in when I contacted them by email and included the photo!

Jan 23, 2013 at 01:33 AM
Gochugogi
• • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Is there something wrong with my autofocus screen?

Historically, this idiosyncrasy goes back to the 1990 EOS 10S, the first Canon to feature multiple AF points with red flashes projected onto the focusing screen. When the projected red flash hits the screen a certain amount of the light misses the AF point graphic and is reflected in a diffused manner. When the screen is ever so slightly misaligned, you get increased diffusion. When I used to swap screens out of my 5D I'd sometimes reseat to get slightly better alignment and less red diffusion. My 7D uses a transparent LCD overlay and seems to be less prone to AF point diffusion.

Jan 23, 2013 at 01:45 AM

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Reset password