Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site

FM Forums | Alternative Gear & Lenses | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2013 · Fuji X-trans Raw with Silky 5

ceder
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · Fuji X-trans Raw with Silky 5

So, we all tried the bundled Silky Raw converter, and found it missing. I know that I at least gave up after a few initial tries, mostly because of the bad user interface, it was hard recovering highlights and pushing shadows etc, and the color was ugly etc etc. So I gave up.
Then the rawconverter RPP came and went (not to mention Lightroom), and now Capture One.
I like the colors from Capture One, but B&W conversion is almost non-existant, the resolution is low, and lots of false details and color artefacts. Maybe they will tweak the conversion, but then again, they may not.
Now, I am not a pixel peeper, I often do long exposures or intentional camera movements, so resolution is not my priority normally. But for some images it is, and who wants artefacts?
So yesterday I downloaded Silkypix 5, and it is very different from the bundled version. Yes, the user interface is still lacking, but now you can easily recover highlights and shadow detail, and the colors are very different, and there is a very nice tool for changing hues etc as well. Colors are very different to the bundled version!
Silkypix gives the highest resolution of all Raw converters out there, but the sharpening it does is, well, blunt. Fine details look "thick". I lack a better word. The result is an impression of softness. Other converters are the opposite, they give the impression of sharpness (RPP comes to mind), but they actually lack resolution (false details and jagginezz contributes to the perceived sharpness). So, here I tried to develop the Raw image in Silkypix 5, and then do the sharpening in Lightroom instead. How does it fare to the JPGs? Well, you decide...

Here is a 100% crop from the Dpreview studio-scene, focusing on the troubled parts (moire). Left is the out-of-camera JPG, and right is Silypix 5:

For those that want to see the entire JPG image: http://extrazoom.com/image-2725.html

For those what want to see the entire SP5 image: http://extrazoom.com/image-2726.html

Here are the settings I used:
Default settings in Silkypix 5, except I changed the color to "Memory color 1, V4 compatible, saturation 1.10", the Noise reduction to "False color 95", all other were set to 0. For sharpness I set "outline emphasis" to 10, and "detail emphasis" to 75, "False outline ctrl" to 50.
Then I imported the image to Adobe Lightroom 4.2, and left all to default, only changing the
sharpening to "radius" 0.5, and "amount" to 53. Then I transferred the image to Adobe Photoshop and converted the image to a JPG-file. That is it. Nothing else done. Probably it can be done even better, give it a try yourself, Silkypix 5 can be tried for free for 30 days. Fuji should include this version, rather then the poor version they ship now! But yes, lets hope Adobe develops a better conversion soon!

If you want to see the Capture One version, it can be found here (done by Dpreview): http://www.dpreview.com/articles/1887029702/capture-one-fujifilm-x-trans-raw-support-tested

OK, no more peeping, lets just take images from now on!

Jan 16, 2013 at 09:54 PM
jcolwell
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · Fuji X-trans Raw with Silky 5

Thanks for posting the Silkypix 5 rendering. I like it. I agree that the sharpening looks "thick" or "heavy", or "overdone" on some parts of the image, especially the white text on red background. OTOH, it looks fine on other parts of the image.

In 'real life', I'd use selective sharpening for an image like this.

Jan 17, 2013 at 01:52 AM
ceder
• •
p.1 #3 · Fuji X-trans Raw with Silky 5

jcolwell wrote:
Thanks for posting the Silkypix 5 rendering. I like it. I agree that the sharpening looks "thick" or "heavy", or "overdone" on some parts of the image, especially the white text on red background. OTOH, it looks fine on other parts of the image.

In 'real life', I'd use selective sharpening for an image like this.

Well, I think I minimized the "thickness" by keeping the sharpening in Silkypix minimal, and instead doing the sharpening in Lightroom. As a matter of fact, I think the "thickness" problem is solved by keeping the "outline emphasis" low. But perhaps I dialed in a bit too strong sharpening in Lightroom, because what you see in the white text on the red background is oversharpening haloes. Other than that, resolution in this pic is good enough for me. But normally I do not do the final sharpening until just before printing, or when reduced for the web - and like you said: selectively!
Anyways, Silkypix has the highest resolution and least artefact problems compared to other converters, so next time I think I will leave the "False color" slider on low, and instead use the anti-moire brush in Lightroom if there are any areas with moire (rare in real life) - that way you do not de-saturate the colors globally. Anyway, there is a Raw converter that works, like I just showed, just hope Lightroom will catch up soon for ease of workflow! Meanwhile, use Silkypix for Raw development, and sharpen in Lightroom! (Mostly I just use the JPGs, they are excellent!).

Jan 17, 2013 at 08:19 AM
Ripolini
• •
p.1 #4 · Fuji X-trans Raw with Silky 5

Thank you ceder for the comparison.
This is the first time I see a good raw conversion of DPR test scene.
It seems that demosaicing algorithms of X-trans sensor raw files are improving.

Jan 20, 2013 at 06:48 PM
ceder
• •
p.1 #5 · Fuji X-trans Raw with Silky 5

Ripolini wrote:
Thank you ceder for the comparison.
This is the first time I see a good raw conversion of DPR test scene.
It seems that demosaicing algorithms of X-trans sensor raw files are improving.

You are welcome! (And now I have tweaked the development so it is better yet, but with my own files - I prefer "pure detail" in the sharpness settings, and Portrait color 2 (V4), or memory color 1 (V4) and so on, but why not try yourself?).

/Cheers!

Jan 21, 2013 at 08:01 AM
Kit Laughlin
• • • •
p.1 #6 · Fuji X-trans Raw with Silky 5

cedar, when I go to the developer's site, the price is a but over $300 USD—is this what you paid? Since Capture One Pro 7 came out with a version that can read X-Trans files properly, I have been shooting Raw and JPEG, but have not tried processing any yet.

I would definitely need to see some amazing images before spending that (and I could not see an upgrade path from Silkipix version 3, the one I already have that came with the X-E1). And I own a full version of C1Pro7 (and Aperture, RPP, SPP.... you get the idea!). Thanks for doing this.

Jan 23, 2013 at 03:31 AM
ceder
• •
p.1 #7 · Fuji X-trans Raw with Silky 5

Kit Laughlin wrote:
cedar, when I go to the developer's site, the price is a but over $300 USD—is this what you paid? Since Capture One Pro 7 came out with a version that can read X-Trans files properly, I have been shooting Raw and JPEG, but have not tried processing any yet.

I would definitely need to see some amazing images before spending that (and I could not see an upgrade path from Silkipix version 3, the one I already have that came with the X-E1). And I own a full version of C1Pro7 (and Aperture, RPP, SPP.... you get the idea!).
...Show more

Well, I just downloaded the 30 day trial, I have not bought it (yet). I saw someone mention that there should be a discount for X-Pro1 and X-E1 owners, but that you need the camera number rather than license number from Silkypix 3. I have not checked the Silkypix web-site for this. May have to ask the Fuji dealer about this. However, one could also wait until the X100s is released, maybe then Adobe will release an up-date? Anyway, I will wait at least 30 days before I make a decision, since it is expensive if there is no discount?

Jan 23, 2013 at 11:33 AM
naturephoto1
• • •
p.1 #8 · Fuji X-trans Raw with Silky 5

ceder wrote:
Well, I just downloaded the 30 day trial, I have not bought it (yet). I saw someone mention that there should be a discount for X-Pro1 and X-E1 owners, but that you need the camera number rather than license number from Silkypix 3. I have not checked the Silkypix web-site for this. May have to ask the Fuji dealer about this. However, one could also wait until the X100s is released, maybe then Adobe will release an up-date? Anyway, I will wait at least 30 days before I make a decision, since it is expensive if there is no discount?

Someone should check with Fuji or Fuji dealer about any upgrade. I just tried to see what the price would be by entering the SN of my X-E1 and the Silkypix system indicated that there was an error for my entry.

As an update, I sent an e-mail to Silkypix about this. Let us wait for a response.

Rich

Jan 23, 2013 at 03:47 PM
jcolwell
• • • • • •
p.1 #9 · Fuji X-trans Raw with Silky 5

Thanks Rich. I had a look this morning to see how much it would cost to upgrade from the Version: 3.2.8.0 that I got with my X-Pro 1. I couldn't find anything in the way of pricing information, and then I ran out of time and had to get offline. I look forward to hearing the response from Silkypix.

Jan 23, 2013 at 04:17 PM
Kit Laughlin
• • • •
p.1 #10 · Fuji X-trans Raw with Silky 5

Yes, thanks for doing that. I will shoot more Raw and try processing some of these via C1Pro, and get back here, early next week.

Jan 23, 2013 at 09:08 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

ceder
• •
p.1 #11 · Fuji X-trans Raw with Silky 5

OK, so the regular price for Silkypix 5 is 27000 Yen = 305 USD.

Discounted, it is 21600 Yen = 245 USD / 185 EUR.

Jan 24, 2013 at 07:48 AM
naturephoto1
• • •
p.1 #12 · Fuji X-trans Raw with Silky 5

ceder wrote:
OK, so the regular price for Silkypix 5 is 27000 Yen = 305 USD.

Discounted, it is 21600 Yen = 245 USD / 185 EUR.

That is in line with the e-mail reply that I received:

"Thank you for your inquiry of
SILKYPIX Developer Studio on January 24, 2013.

Regarding your question,
we will sell the product license
of "SILKYPIX Developer Studio Pro5 English"
by the discount price
because you have a FUJIFILM X-Pro1
(RAW FILE CONVERTER EX).

The price that is the product license
of "SILKYPIX Developer Studio Pro5 English"
is 21600 Japanese Yen.
This is equivalent to about US$242.01.

* The ordinary selling price is 27000 Japanese Yen.
This is equivalent to about US$302.52.

(The exchange rate: @US$1.00 = Japanese Yen 89.25
as of January 24, 14:39 Japanese standard time)

We can accept your purchase order via PayPal.

If you agreed, please tell us
about the following items via e-mail"

Rich

Jan 24, 2013 at 01:33 PM
jcolwell
• • • • • •
p.1 #13 · Fuji X-trans Raw with Silky 5

Thanks guys.

Jan 24, 2013 at 03:32 PM
Kit Laughlin
• • • •
p.1 #14 · Fuji X-trans Raw with Silky 5

Thank you gentlemen.

Jan 24, 2013 at 09:53 PM
ceder
• •
p.1 #15 · Fuji X-trans Raw with Silky 5

Better price!!

Last info, get Silkypix 5 for € 132,20 inc. VAT. if you live in the EU, and only € 109.34if you live outside EU(then there is no need to pay VAT or tax).

This price is via the European distributor, in the Netherlands [www.comcol.nl], simply e-mail Hans-Peter Jullens in charge of comcol.nl at info@comcol.nl.

Jan 26, 2013 at 05:03 PM
naturephoto1
• • •
p.1 #16 · Fuji X-trans Raw with Silky 5

ceder wrote:
Better price!!

Last info, get Silkypix 5 for € 132,20 inc. VAT. if you live in the EU, and only € 109.34if you live outside EU(then there is no need to pay VAT or tax).

This price is via the European distributor, in the Netherlands [www.comcol.nl], simply e-mail Hans-Peter Jullens in charge of comcol.nl at info@comcol.nl.

Is that really the price? If I am reading that correctly as Euros, then the conversion to US Dollars for people out of the European Union without VAT works out to be 147.190 USD. That would be a tremendous savings over the reply that I received directly from Silkypix.

Rich

Edited on Jan 26, 2013 at 06:35 PM · View previous versions

Jan 26, 2013 at 05:22 PM
ceder
• •
p.1 #17 · Fuji X-trans Raw with Silky 5

Ah, yes, forgot to mention that this is a discount price, you have to supply the camera number (X-Pro1 or X-E1). But yeah, a lot cheaper

Jan 26, 2013 at 06:21 PM
ceder
• •
p.1 #18 · Fuji X-trans Raw with Silky 5

If you live ouside EU you have to pay your country tax instead I guess...

Jan 26, 2013 at 06:23 PM
naturephoto1
• • •
p.1 #19 · Fuji X-trans Raw with Silky 5

ceder wrote:
If you live ouside EU you have to pay your country tax instead I guess...

I am not sure if we would pay any tax in the US. When we take receipt of at least used lenses here we do not normally get any tax due. But, in this case, I really don't know. But, that is a substantial savings over what Silkpix offered directly.

Thanks.

Rich

Jan 26, 2013 at 06:34 PM

FM Forums | Alternative Gear & Lenses | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password