Sports Corner Rules
Sports Corner Resource

FM Forums | Sports Corner | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2013 · READ ME --- They are watching

Rick Denham
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · READ ME --- They are watching

SO, you don't think these forums aren't lurked, you don't think there are members on here that can get you work, you don't think what you say or do on here gets noticed......well then quite frankly you don't think.

It's no secret, I don't sugar coat anything and am pretty verbal when I disagree with something that will affect our industry. It's also no secret that I like to shoot sports and share what I know with anyone who asks. So I'll let you in on one other secret, they are watching, and in some cases they are even members.

I have been shooting hockey now for 7 years, on and off, for different mags and teams, but the one constant source I have and will always do work for is the Hockey Hall of Fame. My contacts there give me great gigs, and hopefully in the future even more. When I shoot, I always upload my images to the FM sports board, I love the community here.....the good and even occasionally the bad. The last game I posted that I shot for the HHOF turned out to be what I am hoping to be a great new road to travel with hockey.

A day after posting up the images I received an PM from one of the members of the forum, commenting on my work. After reading through the PM and getting to the bottom I was stunned when it said Photographer and Graphic Designer - NHLPA. They wanted to talk, get me on bored and get me shooting for them. What more could I ask for, a small town kid who played junior hockey, now shooting for the HHOF and NHLPA (sounds like a good movie eh!). SO I messaged back, then called and spoke on the phone for almost 30 minutes (I'm tagging that one to the first invoice J). They want me to come to Toronto and sit down, talk and shoot the proverbial sh!t.

I'm not trying to brag or boast, I just wanted to let everyone here know that yes these forums are watched, and you never know by who, or when, or how. So keep your mouth in check, make sure you have the talent and knowledge to back it up. Learn from what others on the forum are providing you with as there is a vast knowledge in here. Weather it's an up and comer or an old vet, listen....learn....repeat....listen....learn....repeat....listen....learn....repeat....listen....learn....repeat....
you'll never know anything thing, and if you ever think you do then the only thing you will know is you'll be outta work.

Jan 16, 2013 at 04:00 PM
Russ Isabella
• • • • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · READ ME --- They are watching

Wow, Rick. That's fantastic....congratulations! Also eye-opening, as you intended. Very useful information indeed. I know I'm not the only one who might expect you will take full advantage of this wonderful opportunity, and while good fortune, timing, right-place-right-time or whatever might play into it, a high level of skill and work ethic no doubt played a significant role as well. Best of luck to you, and don't forget us here at the Sports Corner.

Jan 16, 2013 at 04:10 PM
FMarquart
• •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · READ ME --- They are watching

Great story Rick, they will get top notch photos from you! Good luck

Frank

Jan 16, 2013 at 04:10 PM
James Broome
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · READ ME --- They are watching

Damn. Congratulations, Rick.

Jan 16, 2013 at 04:16 PM
kwkodiak
• •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · READ ME --- They are watching

yep....grats; your photos are always top notch

Jan 16, 2013 at 04:19 PM
Trevorma
• • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · READ ME --- They are watching

Couldn't have happened to a nicer guy. Congrats Rick!!

BTW if you need an assistant you probably still have my cell number in your phone

Jan 16, 2013 at 04:20 PM
capitalK
• • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · READ ME --- They are watching

Nice one, Rick! Good luck!

Jan 16, 2013 at 04:34 PM
Aqualung
• • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · READ ME --- They are watching

a great story, best of luck getting the assignment.

Chris

Jan 16, 2013 at 04:42 PM
rddayton
• • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · READ ME --- They are watching

Really sage advice for all of us who hope to be in your shoes some day. Knock 'em dead. If they know anything about good photographer, hiring you is a no brainer. Congrats from another Rick

Jan 16, 2013 at 07:14 PM
ian408
• • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · READ ME --- They are watching

"They" go to referee camps too

Sage advice. Congratulations and good luck!

Jan 16, 2013 at 08:41 PM
terrat
• •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · READ ME --- They are watching

Hope you capture some really good action for them and I hope you sneak in some of those wonderful black and white shots you do so well.

Jan 16, 2013 at 08:42 PM
Scott Sewell
• • • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · READ ME --- They are watching

Excellent post Rick!! Every word is so very true. Best of luck with this opportunity. Keep us posted how everything turns out.

Jan 16, 2013 at 11:14 PM
andyz
• • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · READ ME --- They are watching

I completely agree. I'm shooting some D3 basketball now and shot playoff football games because of posts here. I'm not making a living at this, but I'm having a lot of fun.

I am not familiar with hockey but these sound like national deals! Excellent. You never know when a great break will come to you. And I appreciate the comments above. Sounds like you have the right to brag a little!

Jan 17, 2013 at 12:35 AM
Frank Lauri
• • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · READ ME --- They are watching

Rick...great read. Congrats and hope all goes well for you with this.

Jan 17, 2013 at 05:59 AM
jamez
• •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · READ ME --- They are watching

Rick Denham wrote:
SO, you don't think these forums aren't lurked, you don't think there are members on here that can get you work, you don't think what you say or do on here gets noticed......well then quite frankly you don't think.

It's no secret, I don't sugar coat anything and am pretty verbal when I disagree with something that will affect our industry. It's also no secret that I like to shoot sports and share what I know with anyone who asks. So I'll let you in on one other secret, they are watching, and in some cases they are even members.
...Show more

(blush) That would be me Rick's talking about.
It's actually Artist & Photographer (I passed off the Graphic Design work a few years back to an amazingly talented guy we brought on board). I make paintings for retired NHL'ers and I am the NHLPA's studio portrait shooter (along with video and editing - although it's less these days). I've had the honour of shooting over 240 NHL'ers over the last few years in the studio.

To say I've been lurking is not exactly correct. I've been an active FM'er since 2003. I'm a studio shooter, so I tend to stay in the other boards, but when I saw Rick's posting I had to look into his work and contact him.

Rick has posted many times with his sage advice. As we all know, his work is top-notch. I'm no where near as good of an action shooter as he is (I've only shot a handful of times on the ice) but there are few people on the planet who have used/viewed as many hockey images as I have over the last 11 years. His work stood out, not because of the action (I work with the best shooters in the League) but because of his creativity and 'eye'.

Either way, I'm just as happy as Rick is to have access to another talented shooter.

So keep at it everyone! Forums like these are just as valuable to us as shooters as they are to pros in the industry.

Jan 17, 2013 at 08:39 AM
lhryshko
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · READ ME --- They are watching

Great story! I love happy endings. Congrats Rick and thanks for the update jamez.

Jan 17, 2013 at 09:50 AM
BillP57
• • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · READ ME --- They are watching

Congratulations, Rick, your talent definitely deserves the shot. Thanks for opening our eyes to the opportunities this board can make available and for all the help you have offered others with your comments and critiques. Good luck and please keep posting.

Bill

Jan 17, 2013 at 10:31 AM
Grantland
• • • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · READ ME --- They are watching

Great stuff and congrats. Very well deserving!

If you are ever in St. Paul shooting the Wild let us Minnesotans know and we will take you out for a celebratory beer.

Jan 17, 2013 at 10:50 AM
Rick Denham
• • • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · READ ME --- They are watching

Grantland I miss Minny so much.
My mom live in Eden Prairie for years.
I loved it there. Still remember the first time I watched mall rats and was like, hey! That's EPC

Everyone else, there's not much else to say except thanks!

Jan 17, 2013 at 11:04 AM
Geoffrey Bolte
• • •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · READ ME --- They are watching

Congrats Rick. Always great to hear a good story on how things can work out for anyone!!

Brings me to another point, doesn't matter where you post, figure I saw a post on SportsShooter where a photographer was disappointed to say the least about the critique on his images by his client. Basically bashed the client and in turn most likely lost his work unless he could work things out with him/her.

Anyways point is anyone can see what you post here and almost anywhere. If your concerned on somethings don't air it out there where everyone can read it!!

Would have loved to have posted some of my NHL work from the past year but the outlet I was shooting for had a very strict contract with the NHL and we were not allowed to post anything unless it was a few shots for out portfolio!! Never know where that could have taken me, but I'm happy with what I am doing right now. Got a 5 day youth hockey tournament starting up later today where we are trying out a new Team product. Hoping it goes over well even though the price is high. Includes studio shots as well as action...

Jan 17, 2013 at 11:28 AM

FM Forums | Sports Corner | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.