Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site

FM Forums | People Photography | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2013 · First post

atattn

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · First post

Hi! Long time lurker, trying to learn all I can. Spent most of my time shooting kids sports. Now all of you have inspired me to try and expand a bit. My daughter is a senior this year. I told her she can still have a real photographer take senior pics, but I wanted to take some myself. Got all three kiddos together this weekend so I'm adding that one too. I'm open for critique, assuming I can figure out how to post images.

Mike

Jan 16, 2013 at 05:39 PM
jefferies1
• • • •
p.1 #2 · First post

I like #1 which has a interesting feel. The light is soft enough to blend with the shadows. Usually one like this would not be on my keep list and I would avoid the mixed light most of the time. #2 and 3 are just harsh light. Find some solid shade and avoid the direct sun. 4 is not bad but could be better. I might try to position them different. If you can keep the heads closer by placing in different positions. One standing, two sitting on a rock or tree limb. Then add depth by moving out of a straight line would add a totally different feel and improve eye contact to connect with the viewer more.

Jan 16, 2013 at 06:31 PM
atattn

p.1 #3 · First post

Thanks for the comments. I'll keep shooting and try to implement the great advice.

Jan 16, 2013 at 09:41 PM
Steve Wylie
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #4 · First post

Here are some more thoughts (posed as friendly but important questions for you to ask yourself) when positioning and posing your subjects. In the first shot, why is she holding a dead tree branch? And what does her facial expression say about her (or to you)? In the second shot, is that tree limb about to fall on her head? If not, why is she holding it up? Would she ever stand there like that if you weren't making a photo of her? And what's that building and frame-thing in the background? (The background should never compete with the subject, unless it's an integral part of the image - in this case, it's not.) In the third shot, does that deep shadow help the photo? How would you diminish it? (Two ways: move her away from the rock wall, and/or soften the direct sun with a scrim held just out of frame to block the direct sun. I would do both.) Number four, in my opinion, is the best of the bunch. Soft light, nice, pleasant expressions, a pleasing backdrop, a good color palette with no clashing colors. The only suggestion I'd make for this one would be to slightly angle your daughter a bit toward the camera and crop a bit lower, so as not to chop off your youngest son's hands.

It's always good to examine your "frame" before you hit the shutter, and ask yourself questions like these. I do it every time I do an environmental portrait.

Hope this helps.

Jan 17, 2013 at 12:19 AM
atattn

p.1 #5 · First post

The first shot actually says a lot to me, and I ended up liking the mood(?) of it. She was tired of waiting on dad and this actually ended up being a candid as she didn't know I was shooting. She got a kick out of it because she recognized the impatience on her face.
Thanks for the comments. I'm making checklists for next time and hoping to improve.

Jan 17, 2013 at 04:15 PM

Steady Hand
• • • • • •
p.1 #6 · First post

Steve Wylie wrote:
Here are some more thoughts (posed as friendly but important questions for you to ask yourself) when positioning and posing your subjects. In the first shot, why is she holding a dead tree branch? And what does her facial expression say about her (or to you)? In the second shot, is that tree limb about to fall on her head? If not, why is she holding it up? Would she ever stand there like that if you weren't making a photo of her? And what's that building and frame-thing in the background? (The background should never compete with the
...Show more

Good comments/critique.

Jan 17, 2013 at 04:28 PM
Steady Hand
• • • • • •
p.1 #7 · First post

atattn wrote:
The first shot actually says a lot to me, and I ended up liking the mood(?) of it. She was tired of waiting on dad and this actually ended up being a candid as she didn't know I was shooting. She got a kick out of it because she recognized the impatience on her face.
Thanks for the comments. I'm making checklists for next time and hoping to improve.

Howdy,

Some quick comments, all offered in a truly friendly tone of voice and with the sole intent to help you.

You posted a good response to Steve's comments, and you show a good attitude about improving.

Image #1 is my favorite from this set, as it is more unusual than most "senior/teen" photos shown on FM.

While the pose and expression are not the typical "smile at the camera" or "hug a tree" poses, this one has something different, and for me, more unusual and hence more interesting to view.

The other photos are very much like typical photos shown here...so you are "within the norm," as I see photos here.

What would I do differently?

Several things, but the easiest thing I suggest you modify or change is the post processing.

As it appears to me, something has been done to the eyes in a couple of shots (of daughter) and they do not look natural to me. They look "post processed" (as in lightened irises and lightened sclera or whites of eyes or something done to them). I simply suggest: Keep it natural.

I hope these comments help and encourage you. I think it is great that you are posting here (as a new poster) and your kids are lucky to have a father who can take nice photos of them.

Jan 17, 2013 at 04:36 PM
atattn

p.1 #8 · First post

Thank you Steady. I did lighten the eyes just a bit and I wanted to undo it. My wife and daughter loved the lighter look and made me leave it. If I add your vote to mine that at least gives me a tie. Unfortunately I'll probably still be overrulled, but I still have the original RAW files.

Jan 17, 2013 at 05:15 PM
sozypozy
• • •
p.1 #9 · First post

I really like your pictures because they have great light and the models are adorable

Edited on Jan 19, 2013 at 07:09 AM · View previous versions

Jan 18, 2013 at 12:06 PM
atattn

p.1 #10 · First post

Thank you. My oldest is hard to get pictures of, but my younger 2 are both hams, so I have a couple of willing subjects to keep practicing on.

Jan 18, 2013 at 01:58 PM

FM Forums | People Photography | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password