Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

Sports Corner Rules
Sports Corner Resource

FM Forums | Sports Corner | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2013 · The hazards of nitro racing

CH3NO2
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · The hazards of nitro racing

A few gems from Pomona.

CH3NO2 2013

CH3NO2 2013

CH3NO2 2013

CH3NO2 2013

Jan 15, 2013 at 01:07 PM
Travis Rhoads
• • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · The hazards of nitro racing

Crazy captures...Its amazing anyone still participates in that form of racing...hopefully all drivers were ok...

Jan 15, 2013 at 01:19 PM
Jefferson
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · The hazards of nitro racing

"...and then the Check Engine light came on..."

Jan 15, 2013 at 04:55 PM
WalterF
• •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · The hazards of nitro racing

Great pictures.

Walt

Jan 15, 2013 at 06:40 PM
jspytek
• •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · The hazards of nitro racing

First one is cool - but I really like the last one - the clarity of the flame and the car next to it really make that a "wow" type photo in my opinion.

Jan 15, 2013 at 09:16 PM
CH3NO2
• • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · The hazards of nitro racing

That image was actually from 2008...Tony Pedregon "red-lighted" in the first round against John Force. I just got lucky is all.

Jan 15, 2013 at 09:20 PM
jspytek
• •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · The hazards of nitro racing

So how often does this happen - the fireball - once every five races? Just curious, I know it's all hit or miss, but I would think this isn't something that happens every weekend.

Jan 15, 2013 at 09:51 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

Vancouver47
• •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · The hazards of nitro racing

Fantastic photos. Some of the "facts" below are no longer correct, but intersting and fit well with your photos. ie they run 1000ft now.

* One Top Fuel dragster outfitted with a 500 cubic-inch replica Dodge (actually Keith Black, etc) Hemi engine makes more horsepower (8,000 HP) than the first 4 rows of cars at NASCAR's Daytona 500.

* Under full throttle, a dragster engine will consume 11.2 gallons of nitro methane per second; a fully loaded Boeing 747 consumes jet fuel at the same rate but with 25% less energy being produced.

* A stock Dodge Hemi V8 engine cannot produce enough power to merely drive the dragster's supercharger.

* With 3000 CFM of air being rammed in by the supercharger on overdrive, the fuel mixture is compressed into a near-solid form before ignition. Cylinders run on the verge of hydraulic lockup at full throttle.

* At the stoichio metric 1.7:1 air/fuel mixture for nitro methane the flame front temperature measures 7050 degrees F.

* Nitro methane burns yellow. The spectacular white flame seen above the stacks at night is raw burning hydrogen, dissociated from atmospheric water vapor by the searing exhaust gases.

* Dual magnetos supply 44 amps to each spark plug. Which is typically the output of an electric arc welder in each cylinder.

* Spark plug electrodes are totally consumed during a pass. After 1/2 way thru the run, the engine is 'dieseling' from compression and the glow of the exhaust valves at 1400 degrees F. The engine can only be shut down by cutting the fuel flow.

* If spark momentarily fails early in the run, unburned nitro builds up in the affected cylinders and then explodes with enough sufficient force to blow the cylinder heads off the block in pieces or split the block in half !!

* Dragsters reach over 300 MPH +... before you have completed reading this sentence.

* In order to exceed 300 MPH in 4.5 seconds, a dragster must accelerate an average of over 4 G's. In order to reach 200 MPH well before reaching half-track, at launch the acceleration approaches 8 G's.

* Top Fuel engines turn approximately 540 revolutions from light to light!

* Including the burnout, the engine must only survive 900 revolutions under load.

* The redline is actually quite high at 9500 RPM.

* THE BOTTOM LINE: Assuming all the equipment is paid for, the pit crew is working for free, & NOTHING BLOWS UP, each run will cost an estimated $1,000 per second.

0 to 100 MPH in .8 seconds (the first 60 feet of t he run)
0 to 200 MPH in 2.2 seconds (the first 350 feet of the run)
6 g-forces at the starting line (nothing accelerates faster on land)
6 negative g-forces upon deployment of twin 'chutes at 300 MPH

Jan 16, 2013 at 05:31 PM
CH3NO2
• • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · The hazards of nitro racing

Vancouver47 wrote:
Fantastic photos. Some of the "facts" below are no longer correct, but intersting and fit well with your photos. ie they run 1000ft now.

* One Top Fuel dragster outfitted with a 500 cubic-inch replica Dodge (actually Keith Black, etc) Hemi engine makes more horsepower (8,000 HP) than the first 4 rows of cars at NASCAR's Daytona 500.

* Under full throttle, a dragster engine will consume 11.2 gallons of nitro methane per second; a fully loaded Boeing 747 consumes jet fuel at the same rate but with 25% less energy being produced.

* A stock Dodge Hemi V8 engine cannot
...Show more

Thanks for your kind words...everyone should be able to watch 1 pair of dragsters or funny cars live in their life and stay as close to the finish line as possible. Amazing that a car going 332 mph in a 1000 feet is going 486.933 feet per second at the finish line.

Jan 16, 2013 at 10:42 PM
CH3NO2
• • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · The hazards of nitro racing

jspytek wrote:
First one is cool - but I really like the last one - the clarity of the flame and the car next to it really make that a "wow" type photo in my opinion.

I agree to the "wow" comment on the Pedregon image happen...that one is the best in the series of 6. Thank you for your kind words.

Jan 16, 2013 at 10:45 PM
CH3NO2
• • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · The hazards of nitro racing

WalterF wrote:
Great pictures.

Walt

Thank you Walt.

Charles

Jan 16, 2013 at 10:46 PM
CH3NO2
• • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · The hazards of nitro racing

Jefferson wrote:
"...and then the Check Engine light came on..."

Parts we flying in the stands from the Beckman image - thank GOD nobody got hurt.
Thanks for your interest.

Charles

Jan 16, 2013 at 10:49 PM
CH3NO2
• • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · The hazards of nitro racing

Travis Rhoads wrote:
Crazy captures...Its amazing anyone still participates in that form of racing...hopefully all drivers were ok...

Thanks Travis,

I truly believe that considering everything compared to cars racing on narrow roads and super speedways, drag racing is the safest form of racing.

Charles

Jan 16, 2013 at 10:58 PM

FM Forums | Sports Corner | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Reset password