Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

FM Forum Rules
Wedding Resource List

FM Forums | Wedding Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

3       4       5       end

Archive 2013 · OT (kind of): What car for a wedding photog???

sboerup
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #1 · p.2 #1 · OT (kind of): What car for a wedding photog???

2008 Subaru STi. I needed fun and cargo space, and AWD for when it never snows here

Jan 15, 2013 at 10:23 AM
deepbluejh
• • • • •
p.2 #2 · p.2 #2 · OT (kind of): What car for a wedding photog???

I pack lighter than you. I can fit everything I need to shoot a wedding into the trunk of my Honda S2000. If I run a photobooth or have a second photographer, everything can fit into my Toyota Celica (hatchback). Anything larger is just gravy.

For you, most any small SUV would suffice. The Mazda CX-5, Honda CRV or Toyota RAV-4 are all good options. Larger, heavier SUVs generally have smoother, more quiet rides, but won't get the fuel economy of the smaller models. It's a tradeoff.

That said, the newer, small-model SUVs are better than the older models. I'd go give one a try before you opt for a heavier, less efficient model.

Jan 15, 2013 at 10:27 AM
maxwell1295
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #3 · p.2 #3 · OT (kind of): What car for a wedding photog???

A lot depends on what you pack, how you drive, and any secondary uses your vehicle might serve. I travel pretty light so everything I take to a wedding fits in the "trunk" of my Mini and is completely out of sight. If I'm setting up a photobooth. I just put the stands, props, and Alien Bee sits in the back seat which serves no real purpose anyway. It's not like I could put a real person back there...

Jan 15, 2013 at 10:34 AM
Inku Yo
• • • •
p.2 #4 · p.2 #4 · OT (kind of): What car for a wedding photog???

I drive an FJ Cruiser. I added a 3" lift and 35" mud tires to an already uncomfortable ride. My wife's car is an Audi A6. The important thing for me is having all wheel drive and being able to get to where I need to go, no matter the weather/road conditions.

I would consider any other AWD vehicles, but it depends on your budget.

Jan 15, 2013 at 11:13 AM
form
• • • •
p.2 #5 · p.2 #5 · OT (kind of): What car for a wedding photog???

I am curious how many of you own your vehicles and don't have to make payments?...not an insult, but I am curious since a big chunk of this world is a credit and mortgage and lease system now for everyone who doesn't make close to $1m+ annually.

Jan 15, 2013 at 11:21 AM
jcolman
• • • • •
p.2 #6 · p.2 #6 · OT (kind of): What car for a wedding photog???

form wrote:
I am curious how many of you own your vehicles and don't have to make payments?...not an insult, but I am curious since a big chunk of this world is a credit and mortgage and lease system now for everyone who doesn't make close to $1m+ annually.

I don't have any debt. No car payment, no mortgage, no credit card debt. Plus my kids are grown and on their own so no more child rearing expenses. But I'm also older than most of you and semi-retired. Before I left my video career and embarked on being a full time wedding photographer, I paid off all my debts. It was the only way I would ever have been able to do this. I don't make as much money as I use to, ( I'm close however ) but since I am debt free, I have a lot more disposable income now.

Jan 15, 2013 at 11:29 AM
Mitch W
• • • •
p.2 #7 · p.2 #7 · OT (kind of): What car for a wedding photog???

form wrote:

My Toyota has been paid off since 2010. It still runs perfectly. I can't justify a new car right now, although I sure wouldn't mind having one.

Jan 15, 2013 at 11:41 AM
deepbluejh
• • • • •
p.2 #8 · p.2 #8 · OT (kind of): What car for a wedding photog???

form wrote:

I own two cars, both of them bought used and paid for with cash. I make a solid, middle class income, so nothing special about me in that regard.

Jan 15, 2013 at 11:43 AM
Mitch W
• • • •
p.2 #9 · p.2 #9 · OT (kind of): What car for a wedding photog???

G-Gore wrote:
Mitch, you're right. Your visiual apparance is important to perception of your brand. So the good looking car is important as well. CRV was just fine untill this year when we started moving up a notch and it doesnt have the same appeal as before. Its kind of true that if u want to be considered a succesful you should look succesful too. Recently my clients are pulling up to the meetings in new MB's, Beers and infinities. Makes me feel kind cheap that my cars are not on the same level.

I hear you. I'm in the same boat (car?). I'm driving a Toyota Matrix (which has been an amazing car for us), but will look at an Audi sport wagon, or something similar, when I get ready to buy again. My wife drives a newish Rav 4 Sport with the 270hp V6... very nice car, great for road trips and hauling stuff, but still not making much of a brand statement imo.

Jan 15, 2013 at 11:48 AM
deepbluejh
• • • • •
p.2 #10 · p.2 #10 · OT (kind of): What car for a wedding photog???

Mitch W wrote:
I hear you. I'm in the same boat (car?). I'm driving a Toyota Matrix (which has been an amazing car for us), but will look at an Audi sport wagon, or something similar, when I get ready to buy again. My wife drives a newish Rav 4 Sport with the 270hp V6... very nice car, great for road trips and hauling stuff, but still not making much of a brand statement imo.

I think falling into this trap is dangerous. It's extremely shallow to judge someone just based on the car they drive and while some clients might do it, I would hope that the majority do not.

Regardless, making the jump from a paid-for $20k Japanese car to a brand new $45k German car just for the sake of *maybe* impressing 1/3 of your clients seems like a very unwise move to me.

Jan 15, 2013 at 11:52 AM
Mitch W
• • • •
p.2 #11 · p.2 #11 · OT (kind of): What car for a wedding photog???

deepbluejh wrote:
I think falling into this trap is dangerous. It's extremely shallow to judge someone just based on the car they drive and while some clients might do it, I would hope that the majority do not.

Regardless, making the jump from a paid-for $20k Japanese car to a brand new $45k German car just for the sake of *maybe* impressing 1/3 of your clients seems like a very unwise move to me.

thanks for the financial advice, haha! You're very presumptuous, and a little arrogant as well. Not that it's any of your business, but I was not talking about a $45K car. In case you didn't know, car companies usually have several models to choose from based on style and budget. And one has the option to purchase new or used.

Edited on Jan 15, 2013 at 12:09 PM · View previous versions

Jan 15, 2013 at 11:56 AM
Ziffl3
• • • • •
p.2 #12 · p.2 #12 · OT (kind of): What car for a wedding photog???

In texas ... this is how we roll....

http://www.ma-fotopremier.com/photos/i-2STwPrv/0/XL/i-2STwPrv-XL.jpg

Jan 15, 2013 at 12:03 PM
Mitch W
• • • •
p.2 #13 · p.2 #13 · OT (kind of): What car for a wedding photog???

Nice ride, Mark. I'd actually consider an F150. My neighbor has a modified F150 and it's amazing. The only thing is I like to be able to lock up what I'm hauling. Do you just throw everything into the cab?

Jan 15, 2013 at 12:12 PM
canerino
• • • • • •
p.2 #14 · p.2 #14 · OT (kind of): What car for a wedding photog???

Mitch W wrote:
I would say, like the clothes you choose to wear, it should be an extension, or reflection, of your brand. Admit it or not, people will form an impression of you partly by the car you drive, the clothes you wear, the home you live in, etc. This, of course, is judging a book by its cover... but it's also a reality. Not saying you can't overcome a crappy car with amazing work and personality... but it's something to think about. My current car is definitely not an extension of my brand, but that will change with my next
...Show more

this is interesting to me and i'm not sure i completely disagree. but i'm not sure it matters all that much. for example, i drive a 'luxury' car. my clients almost never see my car before they book me. the rare prospective client will see my car if we leave the consult at the same time and get in the parking lot together. i'd assume my business/booking rate/photography would be in the exact same place if i drove a piece-o-poo car.

Jan 15, 2013 at 12:29 PM
RichardLavigne
• • • • •
p.2 #15 · p.2 #15 · OT (kind of): What car for a wedding photog???

Toyota FJ Cruiser.

Jan 15, 2013 at 12:31 PM
canerino
• • • • • •
p.2 #16 · p.2 #16 · OT (kind of): What car for a wedding photog???

Lexus IS350:

http://www.pbase.com/anerino/image/139559230/original.jpg

Jan 15, 2013 at 12:32 PM
rodmcwha
• • •
p.2 #17 · p.2 #17 · OT (kind of): What car for a wedding photog???

We have put over 200k miles on our used, (2 years old when we got it), lexus lx. We have yet to have a service problem! (Weird sentence-nothing has broken or needed service, other than general maintenance.) It will go through anything, and has plenty of room for gear-take out the 3rd row seats. It was a little pricey, but has made up for it in dependability. And, lexus service centers are obsessively concerned with owner's happiness!

Jan 15, 2013 at 12:37 PM
jprezant
• • • • •
p.2 #18 · p.2 #18 · OT (kind of): What car for a wedding photog???

mazda 3 hatch. great car. lots of space, even more with the back seats folded down. But my driver side door just
decided to stop opening the other day. that's a pain

Jan 15, 2013 at 12:41 PM
awad
• •
p.2 #19 · p.2 #19 · OT (kind of): What car for a wedding photog???

Inku Yo wrote:
I drive an FJ Cruiser. I added a 3" lift and 35" mud tires to an already uncomfortable ride.

This is going to be my next car. Love the FJs. Currently driving a BMW X3 as my main wedding ride.

Jan 15, 2013 at 12:42 PM
Mitch W
• • • •
p.2 #20 · p.2 #20 · OT (kind of): What car for a wedding photog???

canerino wrote:
this is interesting to me and i'm not sure i completely disagree. but i'm not sure it matters all that much. for example, i drive a 'luxury' car. my clients almost never see my car before they book me. the rare prospective client will see my car if we leave the consult at the same time and get in the parking lot together. i'd assume my business/booking rate/photography would be in the exact same place if i drove a piece-o-poo car.

Chuck, maybe, maybe not (about the piece-o-poo car). With that beautiful Lexus you'll never know! It may also be a regional thing. I have no doubt that cars are perceived differently in some parts of the country than here in Los Angeles. But again, I don't think it takes a huge stretch of the imagination to conclude that the car you drive helps form an initial impression of you to others, just as does the clothes you wear. Not saying that either are a determining factor to whether a client books you or not - but they both can absolutely be tools used to reinforce your brand, or at least an image you wish to project about yourself. In many regards, your car is not that different than the watch or shoes (or handbag for the ladies) you choose to wear. They all say something about you.

Jan 15, 2013 at 12:46 PM

FM Forums | Wedding Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.