Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

FM Forum Rules
Wedding Resource List

FM Forums | Wedding Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

2       3       4       5       end

Archive 2013 · OT (kind of): What car for a wedding photog???

G-Gore
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · OT (kind of): What car for a wedding photog???

We're slowly thinking about upgrading our Honda CR-V which is the main gear hauler during weddings.

So my questions is:

What would you suggest buying? Must be easy to load and unload. Hold 4 bags of equipment and 2-3 bags of tripods/stand. Comfy for a longer rides.

What are your rides? What you like about them, what you don't?

Jan 15, 2013 at 01:49 AM
Jon-Mark
• •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · OT (kind of): What car for a wedding photog???

I think the CRV is an ideal wedding vehicle....

Jan 15, 2013 at 01:55 AM
TTLKurtis
• • • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · OT (kind of): What car for a wedding photog???

I have two right now and I'm trying to sell one.

Infiniti EX35. Great for storing a lot of stuff - handy for commercial shoots where you need *everything* potentially. And I mean everything.

Infiniti G35. A lot more fun to drive. Easily fits my ThinkTank Airport Security 2, light stand bag, lens changer bag, and a couple cameras in the trunk with lenses locked and loaded and ready to go. Putting stuff in the backseat can be a pain in the ass. But it's fun to drive and I primarily shoot weddings these days, soooooo at some point hopefully someone on AutoTrader buys the EX so I stop paying for two cars...

Jan 15, 2013 at 01:58 AM
G-Gore
• •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · OT (kind of): What car for a wedding photog???

Jon-Mark wrote:
I think the CRV is an ideal wedding vehicle....

I have the previous gen. It's ok. But it's stiff ride and loud inside - definitely not for a long trips. I think I'm getting old and I start complaining about ride comfort :-) Also CR-V's engine is way to small for this kind of vehicle - no grunt :-(

Jan 15, 2013 at 01:58 AM
Steve Tinetti
• • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · OT (kind of): What car for a wedding photog???

Subaru Outback Wagon. The new models are nice and get good reviews for safety, comfort and reliability on Consumer Reports. AWD is great in the snow, good MPG, carries all my stuff.

Jan 15, 2013 at 02:04 AM
Rogue416

p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · OT (kind of): What car for a wedding photog???

I am assuming you want to stay with a similar sized vehicle, so I would recommend the new Ford Escape. I don't own one but it is getting great reviews. With 34.3 cubic feet of cargo space behind the rear seat, and 68.1 cubic feet with the rear seat down, it should carry your stuff just fine. Plus the optional "hands free" lift gate will make loading easier.

Jan 15, 2013 at 02:16 AM
tdurnan
• • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · OT (kind of): What car for a wedding photog???

I think the CRV would be a very good choice.

For me Porsche Boxster S for summer and a Volvo S80 for the winter. Honestly both stow more than enough to shoot a wedding including lights and stands. And the Boxster gets a lot of client attention which never hurts.

Jan 15, 2013 at 06:38 AM
julieawhitlock
• •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · OT (kind of): What car for a wedding photog???

Rav 4. Is has great room and some serious pep. If you get the sport!

Jan 15, 2013 at 07:43 AM
sherijohnson
• • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · OT (kind of): What car for a wedding photog???

I have a CR-V.... you are right, not good for long trips. We drove it to PA one time and we did not care for the long trip in it. I do like it for around the town driving which is what I normally use it for. If I were going to upgrade, I would move up to the Pilot

Jan 15, 2013 at 07:44 AM
ricardovaste
• • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · OT (kind of): What car for a wedding photog???

I wasn't aware wedding photographers went off road that often

Seriously, if you ever feel cramped in your car just think of me in my Polo and you'll have a blissful day.

Jan 15, 2013 at 07:58 AM
imaginephotoaz
• •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · OT (kind of): What car for a wedding photog???

My mom just got the 2013 Ford Edge SEL (hers has most all of the Limited features). Slightly bigger and way more lux than the CRV. It has the Ecoboost 2.oL turbo with loads of power.

We personally have a 2010 Ford Flex Limited. Brilliant vehicle. Plenty of power, awesome features like remote power lift gate and power folding second and third row. Tons of storage, AC power for battery chargers, some even have a fridge in the second row. Best part? 25mpg with 7 passenger seating. And they're cool as hell.

Http://www.fordflex.net/photos/data/500/photo6.JPG

Edited on Jan 15, 2013 at 08:14 AM · View previous versions

Jan 15, 2013 at 08:10 AM
ricardovaste
• • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · OT (kind of): What car for a wedding photog???

Is 25MPG good over there? I suppose your fuel doesn't cost anything like ours does.

Jan 15, 2013 at 08:12 AM
imaginephotoaz
• •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · OT (kind of): What car for a wedding photog???

Yea that's great, especially for a large vehicle.

Jan 15, 2013 at 08:15 AM
imaginephotoaz
• •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · OT (kind of): What car for a wedding photog???

Didnt realize you were in the UK. Prices are double US there, yes?

Jan 15, 2013 at 08:15 AM
ricardovaste
• • • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · OT (kind of): What car for a wedding photog???

About £1.50 per litre over here.

Jan 15, 2013 at 08:28 AM
jcolman
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · OT (kind of): What car for a wedding photog???

I like my Mazdaspeed 3. Holds all my stuff and 263 hp gets me there fast. But it's not exactly "comfy" for longer trips.

Jan 15, 2013 at 09:19 AM
Mitch W
• • • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · OT (kind of): What car for a wedding photog???

I would say, like the clothes you choose to wear, it should be an extension, or reflection, of your brand. Admit it or not, people will form an impression of you partly by the car you drive, the clothes you wear, the home you live in, etc. This, of course, is judging a book by its cover... but it's also a reality. Not saying you can't overcome a crappy car with amazing work and personality... but it's something to think about. My current car is definitely not an extension of my brand, but that will change with my next car.

Jan 15, 2013 at 09:32 AM
Chris Beaumont
• • • • •
[X]
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · OT (kind of): What car for a wedding photog???

I've got an Alfa Romeo.....it's only broken down twice so far.

Jan 15, 2013 at 10:18 AM
engrider18

p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · OT (kind of): What car for a wedding photog???

I recently traded my mustang in for a Ford Escape Limited and while I miss the convertible the Escape has been a huge blessing when it comes to carting gear around. I have more than enough space and its comfortable. I took it on a 6 hour trip to NY right after buying it this summer and had no complaints. The only thing I miss having is a trunk. The cargo area has a screen but I liked having a trunk I could lock my gear in. Even if someone broke into my car they wouldn't be able to open the trunk since there wasn't a release inside.

Jan 15, 2013 at 10:21 AM
G-Gore
• •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · OT (kind of): What car for a wedding photog???

Mitch, you're right. Your visiual apparance is important to perception of your brand. So the good looking car is important as well. CRV was just fine untill this year when we started moving up a notch and it doesnt have the same appeal as before. Its kind of true that if u want to be considered a succesful you should look succesful too. Recently my clients are pulling up to the meetings in new MB's, Beers and infinities. Makes me feel kind cheap that my cars are not on the same level.

Jan 15, 2013 at 10:23 AM

FM Forums | Wedding Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.