Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Forum & Miscellaneous | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2013 · My New Photography Website

PhotoDim
• •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · My New Photography Website

Hi guys,

For a long time I have been meaning to create a basic webpage to aggregate and showcase my work. To date, I used Flickr and other photo sharing sites but did not have anything personal. I have finally done that.

Please check out my site here: www.photods.tk

It is still very much a work in progress & I will continue to gradually add photos to the site. Looking forward to your comments!

Jan 15, 2013 at 06:21 AM
Wobble
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · My New Photography Website

Unable to access site:

"The connection has timed out

The server at www.photods.tk is taking too long to respond.
The site could be temporarily unavailable or too busy. Try again in a few
moments.
If you are unable to load any pages, check your computer's network
connection.
If your computer or network is protected by a firewall or proxy, make sure
that Firefox is permitted to access the Web."

Jan 15, 2013 at 01:50 PM
ebrown88
• •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · My New Photography Website

Hi DS,

I didn't have any trouble opening your site. The site is very very nice and your images are gorgeous. I didn't see your name anywhere on the site - is that intentional?

One minor quibble: Your logo seems a bit odd to me. You've got a black reflection of white letters, which doesn't seem quite right, plus the reflection has a shadow. I don't think I've ever seen a reflection with a shadow!

Congratulations on the new site, and best of luck with it.

Dennis B.

Jan 15, 2013 at 02:11 PM
Jamsplash

p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · My New Photography Website

Hey that site looks sweet man. If you ever want to build a real website (completely your own design - not limited by some custom create your own job) I can either help you or do it for you if it is something you are willing to pay for.

Here is my portfolio in order of date designed:
Cupcake Fairytales - Baked Goods and Cupcakes
WeeCounty Floral Hire - Floral Hire & Garden Maintenance
Light Evolution - LED Lighting - GU10, MR16 and more

*CURRENTLY WORKING ON*
MyLEDLighting - LED Lighting - GU10, MR16 and more
LED DOG - LED Dog Collars

But despite me saying all of this I think your website looks amazeballs and I would keep it. I am just letting you know help is here if you need it.

Feel free to contact me via jamie_n_wilson@hotmail.co.uk. Use the subject title FREEMIRANDA - WEBSITE DESIGN HELP otherwise I probably will not notice your email. As I don't use that email very often and it fills up with junk pretty fast!

Jan 15, 2013 at 05:31 PM
PhotoDim
• •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · My New Photography Website

Thanks for the comments! Much appreciated!

Dennis, you're absolutely right about the logo! I will change that to remove the reflection's shadow

Jan 16, 2013 at 03:05 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

Aaron D
• • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · My New Photography Website

Wobble wrote:
Unable to access site:

"The connection has timed out

The server at www.photods.tk is taking too long to respond.
The site could be temporarily unavailable or too busy. Try again in a few
moments.
If you are unable to load any pages, check your computer's network
connection.
If your computer or network is protected by a firewall or proxy, make sure
that Firefox is permitted to access the Web."

^Same here. The .tk domain I believe is hosted from some small chain of islands in the ocean....somewhere. So no physical landlines connect to them. Because of this, there are sometimes issues with connections. While it is a free domain registration, this is a problem for some people.

I'm chiming in because I setup a free site today. Well, it's not setup yet, but I started it. I considered using .tk, but chose against it because of the above random problems above I mentioned. I chose to use Weebly. In order to keep their name out of my site address, I went to http://www.freedomain.co.nr/ and registered my Weebly site with them. So instead of having Weebly's name in my web addy, it's redirected as http://www.direttedigital.co.nr/ . So if you continue to have complaints about connection timeouts PD, consider the above route I took.

On a side note, another route that would give you absolute full control of your site, free, is if you have an old computer collecting dust that isn't being used. You can set that up to host your site. Freedomain.co.nr will also redirect the dynamic IP assigned by your ISP with a domain name you choose. So instead of, let's say, 38.149.255.255 (assigned to you by ISP), .co.nr would mask it and direct it to your home as the site name of your choice ie www,photods,co,nr . You'd have to know a little about computer networking to set it up at home, but it's not that hard really. Plus, the equipment is on your premises and not dependent on another person maintaining the server. I considered this option. But I already have 7 computers at home to maintain. Don't want to dust off one of the older ones and have another to worry about.

Jan 17, 2013 at 09:15 AM
borderlight
• • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · My New Photography Website

Your name, initials, or fictitious name followed by "Photography" usually implies that you are running a photography business even if that isn't your intent. I would change it to your name +"photographer", or just your name which is nowhere to be found. Your pictures are good but lack any central theme which is rather common when you are putting together a first portfolio. You may be in the process of narrowing it down to more of a speciality, but know that is a better direction than a smorgasbord of mostly unrelated pictures. Also, the title reflection looks like Russian.

Jan 17, 2013 at 03:59 PM
EB-1
• • • • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · My New Photography Website

The page only loads intermittently and slowly. I don't kow what WIX is, but the plug for that makes the site seem very amateurish. I'd also consider dropping the cliche about what photography means.

EBH

Jan 21, 2013 at 04:02 PM
Wobble
• • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · My New Photography Website

Finally got the site to open. Nice images, just need to load a lot more, free web space may limit your available size. I agree with the above comments about no name and WIX advertisement(that you may not be able to delete)

Jan 21, 2013 at 04:19 PM

FM Forums | Forum & Miscellaneous | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Reset password