Sports Corner Rules
Sports Corner Resource

FM Forums | Sports Corner | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2013 · Hockey portraits - looking for setup

gtjohnson
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Hockey portraits - looking for setup

I'm looking for information on shooting hockey portraits. The method I have in mind is a hockey stop facing the camera - a fairly common shot - but I'm looking for how to set up the lighting for this. This might belong in the lighting forum, but I remember an old post that showed a setup (I think it was with three or four strobes) for this type of shot right here in this forum. I don't need that particular post if someone can step a relative noob through the process ...

Thanks!
Gary

Jan 14, 2013 at 11:02 AM
Carl Auer
• • • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Hockey portraits - looking for setup

You could look at Strobist too...there was a field hockey or lax portrait they did there.....

Jan 14, 2013 at 09:24 PM
P Alesse
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Hockey portraits - looking for setup

Rick Denham is the guy.

Jan 15, 2013 at 06:04 AM
gtjohnson
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Hockey portraits - looking for setup

Thanks Carl. I just recently found the Strobist site and saw some nice shots, but there wasn't mention of how to set it up (or at least not one that I found yet).

Paul - thanks for the name, I've been all over his links and don't see a setup yet. I'll spend more time this evening and see if I can scare something up ...

Jan 15, 2013 at 12:54 PM
andypep
• • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Hockey portraits - looking for setup

Check out this blog by Rick - http://rickdenham.com/blog/brock-womens-hockey-portraits/

Jan 15, 2013 at 01:59 PM
Trevorma
• • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Hockey portraits - looking for setup

Send Rick an email or PM.

Great guy!!! I met him last year at an outdoor hockey game and we spent some time chatting. I don't think he would mind sharing some set-up ideas.

Trevor

Jan 15, 2013 at 02:59 PM
gtjohnson
• • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Hockey portraits - looking for setup

Andy! That's the exact post I was looking for! He posted those shots here on this forum some time ago and I should have saved it, but I had no visions of ever shooting hockey at the time.

Trevor - I think I'll do that. This is a sport where (ice) time is critical, so there's little opportunity to experiment without dropping some coinage to rent the ice for an hour or so. He shows his flash setup in the blog Andy dug up, but no mention of camera settings so I'll go hunting for Rick's PM and see if I can get 'em straight from the source.

Thank you all!

Gary

Jan 15, 2013 at 04:14 PM
Rick Denham
• • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Hockey portraits - looking for setup

setup depends on the type of shot you want
camera settings depend on the type of shot you want

You have the link to the one shoot, here's some more.
I can't really do much else to help you unless you tell me what type of portrait you are looking for

mens hockey 1

mens hockey 2

womens hockey

icedogs

Jan 16, 2013 at 09:18 AM
rantonishak
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Hockey portraits - looking for setup

Rick,

Excellent images... Beautiful artwork... Very creative....

What more can I say... Great job !

Sincerely,
Randal

Jan 16, 2013 at 12:22 PM
gtjohnson
• • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Hockey portraits - looking for setup

Rick,

Wow, thanks for checking in! I was looking specifically for the hockey stop type shots with multiple speedlites that Andy linked to. (Brock women's hockey). You showed your setup, but I couldn't find your camera settings anywhere. That was the type of shot I was most interested in. Can you share some of the details of how you accomplished those?

On the other hand, having seen some of these other shots you posted I'm wondering if something more traditional with some Rick-Denham-style flair isn't a better option ... those are stellar (and don't require any ice time - which is a huge plus).

Awsome stuff. Thanks for posting them and especially for sharing your setups.

Gary

Jan 16, 2013 at 08:59 PM
grenadier2002
• •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Hockey portraits - looking for setup

http://iephotosocal.zenfolio.com/p203199370/h521ba026#h521ba026

One SB800 in 24X24 softnox front and above.

Jan 28, 2013 at 06:32 PM

FM Forums | Sports Corner | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.