FM Forums | Leica & Alternative Gear | Join Upload & Sell

2       3              47       48       end

Archive 2013 · Metabones Speed Booster

Fred Miranda
Admin
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Metabones Speed Booster

Metabones Speedbooster
New Metabones Speed Booster™ adapter provides an extra f/stop and full frame focal length on APS-C Sensors.
"Mounted between a mirrorless camera and a SLR lens, Speed Booster™ increases maximum aperture by 1 stop (hence its name), increases MTF and has a focal length multiplier of 0.71x. Optics designed by Caldwell Photographic in the USA."

Adapter Main Features:
  • Increase maximum aperture by 1 stop.
  • Increase MTF.
  • Makes lens 0.71x wider.
  • Optics designed by Caldwell Photographic in the USA (patent pending).
  • Electronic integration of aperture diaphragm, controlled by or from the camera body.
  • Partial autofocus support for late-model (post-2006) Canon-brand lenses.
For more details visit Metabones website.

Jan 15, 2013 at 07:15 PM
gee3749

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Metabones Speed Booster

Pretty revolutionary if it does what it claims, the way it claims.

Cliffs: EF to E mount adapter that makes Super35 sensors see full frame while adding a stop of light

http://philipbloom.net/2013/01/13/speedbooster/

Jan 14, 2013 at 12:50 AM
carstenw
• • • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Metabones Speed Booster

Sounds like a 1/sqrt(2) TC There will be optical losses. Should be interesting to see what will make it. I will wait for the Nikon F version.

Jan 14, 2013 at 03:02 AM
jonrock
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Metabones Speed Booster

It seems interesting if it works as stated. There's also supposed to a m4/3 version as well. However, the .pdf on Metabones website says you can use DX or APS-C lenses on m4/3 cameras.

http://www.metabones.com/images/metabones/Speed%20Booster%20White%20Paper.pdf

Jan 14, 2013 at 03:39 AM
sebboh
• • • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Metabones Speed Booster

i always wondered whether a condensor could be stuck in one of these adapters. theoretically it could improve image quality, but it looks like a single element that can't be customized for the lens in front of it. my guess is it'll improve or not effect central performance but will hurt corner performance and will be more detrimental to the performance of fast lenses than slower ones.

another exciting point – it seems to be thinner than the normal eos to E-mount adapter?

Jan 14, 2013 at 04:14 AM
mcbroomf
• • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Metabones Speed Booster

I'm just checking that it is OK to use fully manual lenses with EF adapters (eg OM/Leica R). The info suggests you can. Note it was deisgned by Brian Caldwell who designed the Coastal Optics 60mm.

Mike

Jan 14, 2013 at 06:10 AM
LightShow
• • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Metabones Speed Booster

I have the Nikkor E 50/1.8 in Blooms article, it's tempting to use just for pancakes and the reduced mount thickness, but @ the price listed, I'll wait till a FF EVIL is released first, then the price should come down.
The speed boost would be interesting with my Rokkor 58/1.2

Re: IQ, I would need to see a (24mp FF sensor) vs a (24mp APS-C sensor + speed booster) with the same lens on both type of shootout, before I'd buy one.
Edited to reduce confusion... I hope.

Edited on Jan 14, 2013 at 08:05 AM · View previous versions

Jan 14, 2013 at 06:19 AM
mcbroomf
• • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Metabones Speed Booster

LightShow wrote:

Re: IQ, I would need to see a (24mp FF) vs a (24mp APS-C + speed booster) shootout
before I'd buy one.

Do you mean 35mm FF + speedbooster vs 24mm APSC? (eg 24mm E Sonnar). The SpeedBooster won't work on APSC lenses (unless you put them on u4/3)

Mike

Jan 14, 2013 at 07:03 AM
LightShow
• • • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Metabones Speed Booster

No I'm talking about a FF sensor vs an APS-C sensor + speed booster with both sensors having the same MP count ie 24mp.
With the same lens on both to see if quality suffers at all.

Jan 14, 2013 at 07:57 AM
ceder
• •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Metabones Speed Booster

Sounds good! Then my Contax 35/1.4 should be 0.71x1.5 = 37mm on my Fuji X-Pro1! DOF pretty much the same, perhaps a little image loss in the corners, but who cares when useded wide open at 1-4 meters?

Jan 14, 2013 at 08:29 AM
ceder
• •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Metabones Speed Booster

Oh, and my TS-E lens!!!

Edit: No, there is no EOS to Fuji X adapter on the Metabones site! Maybe later??

Jan 14, 2013 at 08:29 AM
mcbroomf
• • • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Metabones Speed Booster

I've asked them how T/S lenses will do with the adapter (ie if there might be any unexpected optical issues, I'm especially concerned about corner/edge CA or blurring). Their reply was that they have not tested any but will try to find out.

Mike

Jan 14, 2013 at 08:42 AM
mcbroomf
• • • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Metabones Speed Booster

LightShow wrote:
No I'm talking about a FF sensor vs an APS-C sensor + speed booster with both sensors having the same MP count ie 24mp.
With the same lens on both to see if quality suffers at all.

Oh yes ... got it

Jan 14, 2013 at 08:43 AM
Beni
• • • • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Metabones Speed Booster

Very interested to see what happens with this. As a fast normal shooter this finally makes the NEX cameras viable. The price of fast 35mm lenses with character is rather prohibitive and far smaller than that of the 50mm choices. I really like the idea of my 50mm Tak being both a fast 50mm equivalent and a fast 85mm equivalent just by taking the adaptor on and off!

Jan 14, 2013 at 08:44 AM
mawz
• • • • • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Metabones Speed Booster

Don't assume optical losses will be visible, the optical designer involved is superb (the guy behind the Coastal Optics 60mm Macro) and it's the same basic tech that Olympus used on their 14-35/2 and 35-100/2 for 4/3rds mount.

I'll likely buy the F mount version, and hopefully we'll see an Alpha mount version as well. This pretty much resolves my last issue with going fully NEX

Jan 14, 2013 at 08:46 AM
jonrock
• • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Metabones Speed Booster

ceder wrote:
Oh, and my TS-E lens!!!

Edit: No, there is no EOS to Fuji X adapter on the Metabones site! Maybe later??

They might come out with one later. There's already an adapter being released for Leica R to Fuji X mount.

I read somewhere that Nikon codeveloped with Fuji a camera with a focal reducer in the 1990s that allowed use of ISO 3200 at that time.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nikon_E3#Nikon_E3.2FE3S

Jan 14, 2013 at 08:55 AM
ZoneV
• • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Metabones Speed Booster

mawz wrote:
Don't assume optical losses will be visible, the optical designer involved is superb (the guy behind the Coastal Optics 60mm Macro) ....

This is the reason why I think this adapter will work good :-)
But I wonder how the NEX or 4/3 sensor microlenses work with lenses with f/0.9.
Most likely the microlenses are optimized for lenses with maximum of f/1.4 or 2.0, and the light from faster lenses doesn´t reach the senistive area to 100%.

Jan 14, 2013 at 08:58 AM
ceder
• •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · Metabones Speed Booster

I guess this cannot be done with ZM lenses, too short flange already. What a shame!

Jan 14, 2013 at 09:13 AM
mcbroomf
• • • • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · Metabones Speed Booster

The excellent 35-70 C/Y Vario Sonnar will be a more interesting lens on Nex with the ability to cover 35-105 FOV with an additional normal EF-E adapter, and faster in the 35-70 range as well

Mike

Jan 14, 2013 at 09:34 AM
alundeb
• • • • •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · Metabones Speed Booster

I was just about to shell out for the CV Ultron 21 1.8.
Now I might try this instead, with some good old pancakes on the NEX 5N to see if it can be a poor man's RX1.

Do expect increased corner problems on the NEX 7.

Jan 14, 2013 at 09:50 AM

FM Forums | Leica & Alternative Gear | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.