Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2013 · Nikon Shooting Banks

bemyzeke
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · Nikon Shooting Banks

There has been a lot of criticism on internet about how Nikon handles settings. Having migrated from canon, I generally agree with the criticism and find the shooting banks to be useless.

However, these have been around for several years, and I assume some (or many) people must be using them. So I am interested in finding out how many people use them and if so, how are these being used.

If you answer yes to the Poll, please leave a reply on how you use these.

Jan 13, 2013 at 11:25 PM
James Burden
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · Nikon Shooting Banks

Yes, but only basic settings, i.e. one set-up for RAW + JPG, one for RAW only, etc.

Jan 13, 2013 at 11:40 PM
mike-in-ak
• •
p.1 #3 · Nikon Shooting Banks

I have all four banks set for different types of shooting.

Normal
Aurora
Real Estate / Architectural
Live View

Change banks and basic presets are ready to go.

Jan 13, 2013 at 11:46 PM
Chris Noyes
• • •
p.1 #4 · Nikon Shooting Banks

Yes, I have one bank set for "Sports", another for "Tripod/Long Exposures", and another for "Auto ISO". Each bank has a combination of various settings that I commonly use for that purpose.

Typically, when shooting sports, all forms of noise reduction and Active D-Lighting are turned off. When in Tripod/Long Exposure, Exposure delay and noise reduction are activated.

Jan 13, 2013 at 11:48 PM
SAng
• •
p.1 #5 · Nikon Shooting Banks

I use Save Settings to work around the problem with Nikon's implementation. Using the work-around gives me some utility to the banks that otherwise they wouldn't have.

Jan 14, 2013 at 12:44 AM
Danner
• •
p.1 #6 · Nikon Shooting Banks

I keep meaning to set a couple up, but do it manually still.

Jan 14, 2013 at 01:06 AM
thursdaylsr
• • •
p.1 #7 · Nikon Shooting Banks

I use the U1 setting on my D7000's for studio/portrait nonsense since I switch to RAW and have all of my little nit picky settings, don't use the shooting banks on my D700 though. It's a very nice convience that I don't really miss.

Jan 14, 2013 at 01:07 AM
Zebrabot
• • •
p.1 #8 · Nikon Shooting Banks

I still can't figure out what they are and how to use them.

there's somethig with letter or numbers or letters and number to store some settings someof the time?

japanese software concepts are crap. It's like how custom whit balances setting only save to setting 0.

Jan 14, 2013 at 06:44 AM
hjanssen
• • •
p.1 #9 · Nikon Shooting Banks

The big problem with the shooting banks is that settings are changing with changings I made when a shooting bank is selected.

Jan 14, 2013 at 08:29 AM
Justin Huffman
• • • • •
p.1 #10 · Nikon Shooting Banks

i think the biggest problem is keeping track of what settings change. in the old days with D1 bodies there was just the CSM banks. Now there are CSM banks and Shooting banks. Why not just have one set of banks that when changes are made and saved it reflects on the cameras operation globally!! in other words every single setting can be changed and saved within that bank; even vitals; Aperture SS ISO and WB. the same way a computer has different users that can log in and out, each user experience is totally independent of the others. Im not smart enough to keep track of what gets changed and what stays static switching from shooting banks to CSM banks so I play it short and don't use them at all.

Jan 14, 2013 at 12:46 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

Mark_L
• • • •
p.1 #11 · Nikon Shooting Banks

I'd rather change one setting at a time because then I know what they are and there is less risk of a screwup, the banks are just too confusing.

Jan 14, 2013 at 12:54 PM
workerdrone
• • •
p.1 #12 · Nikon Shooting Banks

I really dislike the way Nikon implemented these so far, it seems like such a simple firmware change could improve them.

I would like to select "save settings to x.." when the camera is set up a certain way, then be able to restore them at an instant by selecting x again. Then I should be able to make adjustments as needed.

I do NOT want those saved settings to actually be changed unless I again tell it to "save settings"

So far I can't get my head around how you're supposed to use Nikon's implementation and so I really don't use them - just manually set up the camera for every situation.

Mostly I'd want to use this if I was handing my camera to someone non-camera-geeky, so I could revert it back to factory point and shoot mode and then return to my mostly manual preferences when I take it back.

So why couldn't they add a "dynamic or manual" save settings mode for the banks in a firmware update?

Jan 14, 2013 at 01:03 PM
NikonGuyIsHere
• •
p.1 #13 · Nikon Shooting Banks

Yes, Nikons shooting banks are confusing. I have never shot Canon but from what I hear their custom settings are global and easy.

I want this for Nikon.

Jan 14, 2013 at 03:34 PM
Chris Noyes
• • •
p.1 #14 · Nikon Shooting Banks

workerdrone wrote:
Mostly I'd want to use this if I was handing my camera to someone non-camera-geeky, so I could revert it back to factory point and shoot mode and then return to my mostly manual preferences when I take it back.

This is what I use the Auto ISO setting for . . . it puts the camera in a nearly complete Auto mode, turns on the AF-assist illuminator, provides the shooter with the annoying beep to tell them that the camera has achieved focus, etc.

Jan 15, 2013 at 03:23 AM
James R
• • • • •
p.1 #15 · Nikon Shooting Banks

I have my normal setting for most stuff; a setting for events using jpegs; and one for fast action sports, which isn't too different to my base setting. What these do is ensure that I don't forget a setting. I am not familiar with Canon's settings, but if they speed up things, then I'm all for them.

One other thing: When you make some changes to your camera during a shoot, it can difficult to remember what changes you made. Using banks allow you to get back to a known starting point.

Jan 15, 2013 at 05:21 AM
bemyzeke
• •
p.1 #16 · Nikon Shooting Banks

James R wrote:
One other thing: When you make some changes to your camera during a shoot, it can difficult to remember what changes you made. Using banks allow you to get back to a known starting point.

Isn't this one of the problems? If you have shooting bank B selected, and you make a change, that change is automatically saved to the selected bank. Making it difficult to go back, if you forgot what were the changes.

Jan 15, 2013 at 06:30 AM
James R
• • • • •
p.1 #17 · Nikon Shooting Banks

Sorry for not clarifying this. I set up bank 4 just like bank 1. If I make a changes to bank 1 and can't remember what they are, I can always go to bank 4 and I'm back on track. I will reset bank 1 while watching TV. I never mess with bank 2 or 3.

Jan 15, 2013 at 08:00 AM
DontShoot
• • • •
p.1 #18 · Nikon Shooting Banks

I used it when I had the D700, but I hated it. When I saw that the D600 has the u1/u2 settings, I knew I had to get it. When I switched to the D600, I instantly fell in love with this feature. I would've bought the D800 if it had this feature.. it is THAT important to me.

I travel and shoot a lot of landscapes.. and I've always wished for this feature. I've missed so many great moments because of the stupid custom setting banks.

Imagine shooting a landscape in Yellowstone, with all your settings in place, just waiting for the right light when all of a sudden, you hear a thunderous noise. You look behind you and an animal stampede is taking place. Do you pick up your camera and take your sweet ass time and fumble around the custom menu banks to get the shot? With the D600 (and D7000), you simply turn the dial to U1 or U2 and shoot. I wish Nikon implements this feature on ALL their cameras!

Jan 15, 2013 at 09:06 PM
ausemmao
• •
p.1 #19 · Nikon Shooting Banks

DontShoot wrote:
I used it when I had the D700, but I hated it. When I saw that the D600 has the u1/u2 settings, I knew I had to get it. When I switched to the D600, I instantly fell in love with this feature. I would've bought the D800 if it had this feature.. it is THAT important to me.

I travel and shoot a lot of landscapes.. and I've always wished for this feature. I've missed so many great moments because of the stupid custom setting banks.

Imagine shooting a landscape in Yellowstone, with all your settings in place, just waiting for
...Show more

So much this. The u1/u2 method is brilliant because it does what it should: store complete camera settings that can be recalled and retain state unless deliberately changed. The shooting bank/custom bank combination (that doesn't keep state unchanged, and also isn't a single setting, and also needs more than a dial switch to change) is far less useful. It baffles me that Nikon hasn't put the u1/u2 style settings onto the mode button after releasing 2 cameras with the improved utility (sorry I forgot, only "consumers" want convenience).

Jan 16, 2013 at 02:40 PM

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password