New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2013 · CamRanger and my trip to Rome w/1Dx

firstgear99
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · CamRanger and my trip to Rome w/1Dx

Took the CamRanger with us to Rome so that we could get some photos of us together. Sure you can ask someone, but they never seem to get it right. I had my 1Dx with 24-105L on it. Getting CamRanger up and running and connecting to my iphone was really painless.

Here is the camera (taken with wife's 7D and 28-135)...used the carrying case and the CamRanger together to get the lens pointed in the right direction.
http://images61.fotki.com/v536/photos/2/280699/6378367/42503773296-vi.jpg

http://images49.fotki.com/v1539/photos/2/280699/6378367/55483850640-vi.jpg

And here we are......
http://images51.fotki.com/v1560/photos/2/280699/6378367/00484351216-vi.jpg

Didn't take a photo at Colosseum, but same kind of setup. You can see my iPhone in my hand for focusing and capture.
http://images51.fotki.com/v748/photos/2/280699/6378367/04503808112-vi.jpg

CamRanger made it really easy. Only thing I was concerned about was setting up and then being careful to not be some place that a runner could come by and grab it all & be gone! So I picked carefully the options.

Great gizmo!

Jan 12, 2013 at 08:06 AM
firstgear99
• •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · CamRanger and my trip to Rome w/1Dx

If I had a software change wish, since the various shooting modes are controlled by buttons rather than a dial position, it would be nice with the 1D family to change modes from the iPad or iPhone without having to go back to camera.

I bought two small different types of tripods, and of course I left them both at home.....duh!

Jan 12, 2013 at 08:10 AM
svassh
• • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · CamRanger and my trip to Rome w/1Dx

Looks like a very useful tool. I hate when my wife stops a stranger to take a photo of us and I have to change my camera settings to full auto and explain to them how to focus by pushing button half way etc. In the end you check the photo and it usually has motion blur anyway.

Jan 12, 2013 at 09:45 AM
jcolwell
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · CamRanger and my trip to Rome w/1Dx

Yes, it looks very useful. OTOH, there are many places, including the Colosseum, that I'd hesitate to put my 1DX down, let alone walk away from it. I can't run as fast as I could thirty years ago, when I played rugby.

Jan 12, 2013 at 09:52 AM
davinyc
• •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · CamRanger and my trip to Rome w/1Dx

Having lived and worked in Rome I'd never let a camera leave my hands. Most of Italy is the same. Very glad you got your shot and kept your camera )
Useful tool though.

Jan 12, 2013 at 11:19 AM
Wahoowa
• • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · CamRanger and my trip to Rome w/1Dx

CamRanger seems to work well for you. I agree though that it's pretty risky doing that in Italy. When you're 'targeted', they work as a team and it's gonna be difficult to catch them. But I guess it's somewhat fine inside the Colosseum as everyone has to purchase a ticket to get in there.

Jan 12, 2013 at 12:52 PM
Gochugogi
• • • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · CamRanger and my trip to Rome w/1Dx

Wahoowa wrote:
CamRanger seems to work well for you. I agree though that it's pretty risky doing that in Italy. When you're 'targeted', they work as a team and it's gonna be difficult to catch them. But I guess it's somewhat fine inside the Colosseum as everyone has to purchase a ticket to get in there.

When I was at the Vatican a young gypsy woman used an infant to cover her arm and distract me as she reached into my camera bag. She also asked me a question as she reached for my goodies. I'm a suspicious sort so I immediately caught her and scared her off. My friend wasn't nearly so aware and lost his wallet from his rear pants pocket somewhere in St Peter's Square. Luckily he left his Passport in the hotel. But, yeah, letting your camera leave you body in a public place in Italy is really risky. The countryside is a lot safer but you're being watched nearly everywhere in the cities and around tourist attractions.

Jan 12, 2013 at 01:46 PM
firstgear99
• •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · CamRanger and my trip to Rome w/1Dx

Gochugogi wrote:
When I was at the Vatican a young gypsy woman used an infant to cover her arm and distract me as she reached into my camera bag. She also asked me a question as she reached for my goodies. I'm a suspicious sort so I immediately caught her and scared her off. My friend wasn't nearly so aware and lost his wallet from his rear pants pocket somewhere in St Peter's Square. Luckily he left his Passport in the hotel. But, yeah, letting your camera leave you body in a public place in Italy is really risky. The countryside is
...Show more
Ok, just for the record......the photos that we took with CamRanger were in the Roman Forum and Colosseum. Both of which have limited entrances and exits. Both of which have people at those locations. I did not trust to put the camera down outside the colosseum or even at Trevi fountain. When there are too many people that I can't see or fell that I can somewhat control the situation the camera doesn't leave my hand. But if I feel that I can see and semi control what is going on then I will. I am a big guy, 6'3"! So to have someone try and get between me and the camera, well, I won't be the one getting crushed in the ensuing action.

I also don't feel comfortable where there is a crowd of people. I know that can't be controlled at all no matter what I do. So I know I have to pick my place and time. In the Vatican I had a nice grip on my camera. By the way, my wallet is carried in my front pocket. Doesn't mean I can't get pick, just means a bit more challenging and when the crowd gets big and tight, my hand goes down over my pocket.

We have traveled all over the world, this being my 5th time to Rome....we know about the gypsies as my better half and her mom in a previous trip had to fend of a bunch that circled her mom. They don't ever seem to bother us when I am there.

Last thing, my gear is insured with a rider policy. So while I don't want to have to collect on it, it does take some of the worry out of everything. If you don't have a rider policy on your gear, you really ought to.

Jan 12, 2013 at 02:09 PM
jcolwell
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · CamRanger and my trip to Rome w/1Dx

Jan 12, 2013 at 02:19 PM
Ian.Dobinson
• • • • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · CamRanger and my trip to Rome w/1Dx

Last thing, my gear is insured with a rider policy. So while I don't want to have to collect on it, it does take some of the worry out of everything. If you don't have a rider policy on your gear, you really ought to.

First thing, glad it worked for you

2nd thing , re the insurance. Just check what they will cover when out and about. I'm not sure many insurers would look well on a claim when they see "I just put my multi thousand dollar camera down to take a self portrait when some lowlife picked it up and ran away with it "

3rd . For this self portraits, wouldn't it have been just as easy to connect the ranger to the 7D? At least if it leave with a lowlife it's not as high priced as the 1dx

Jan 12, 2013 at 02:20 PM
firstgear99
• •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · CamRanger and my trip to Rome w/1Dx

Ian.Dobinson wrote:
First thing, glad it worked for you

2nd thing , re the insurance. Just check what they will cover when out and about. I'm not sure many insurers would look well on a claim when they see "I just put my multi thousand dollar camera down to take a self portrait when some lowlife picked it up and ran away with it "

3rd . For this self portraits, wouldn't it have been just as easy to connect the ranger to the 7D? At least if it leave with a lowlife it's not as high priced as the 1dx

They paid off before when a gazelle at the Cleveland zoo took my 100-400L lens for a stroll! My wife had won a silent auction at the Cleveland zoo to get inside various pens. At one point we were in a condor pen and she had a condor pecking at her arm, very cool. By the end of the tour, we went into the quarantine pen for new animals that they want to watch prior to bringing into the general population.

Turned out there was a baby gazelle that had been purchased from the San Diego Wild Animal Park that was new to the zoo. This baby was like a puppy and would come up to me and I could rub its head and then it would take off running again. My arms were full of stuff I was holding for my wife and I leaned over with a free hand to pat the gazelles head and my lens and case slide down my arm right over the gazelles neck. Needless to say the gazelle was startled and took off full speed with my lens case around its neck.

Through the grace of god, the gazelle somehow put both legs through the strap and the lens case worked its way down the animals body banging on the ground as it went! Needless to say when all was over in about 10 seconds, my lens had a dent in the side of it and needed repair. I told my insurance representative the story, and after he picked himself up off the floor, processed my claim. $800 later I had my lens back from Canon along with a new case. The insurance works......don't leave home without it!

Jan 12, 2013 at 09:22 PM

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.